PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in the Ten. Let's all get our sticks back out.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

judgejudy27
05-13-2010, 12:44 AM
I am happy Venus reaches #2. It has been so long since she ranked that high. I think by the end of the year Serena, Henin, Venus, and Clijsters will be the top 4 in some order or another. Jankovic will be up there too.

The only bad part will be listening to the clueless U.S press trying to hype the possability of an all Williams final (well until atleast one of the sisters inevitably exits around 3rd round) at the French which any half knowledgeable tennis fan knows doesnt have a prayer of happening at that particular slam.

BigB08822
05-13-2010, 03:34 AM
It sure would be hilarious if they did have an all Williams final at the French. Can you imagine the craptacular tennis taking place for that to happen! :eek:

judgejudy27
05-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Well considering it took some pretty craptacular tennis for that to happen even in their clay court primes (when it happened in 2002 Clarisa Fernandez was Venus's semifinal opponent) I shudder to think what it would take today.

Beefcake
05-13-2010, 03:33 PM
I guess I don't get the whining about picking clay. Surely the US would've picked super fast hard court? All the hosts pick a surface to their advantage.
Whining? Be gentle, I was making conversation ... and pretty clearly stating that this is the "luck of the draw". Wouldn't your :drama: about Colombia's worst draw scenario also be considered "whining"? ;)

Giraldo winning two matches versus the US? Would/will be heavily about the clay ... 60% clay surface, 20% playing better than the other guy, 20% home court advantage. "Not that there's anything wrong with that". :P

oleada
05-13-2010, 04:02 PM
I guess you have a point ;) Seriously - I think the altitude would have a bigger effect than the clay. Sammy Q clearly does well in the clay, but altitude is another ball game, literally. It makes the ball bounce weird, and it's harder to keep up stamina in a 5 set match when you're over 8,000 ft over sea level. Why do you think the Bogota WTA tournament has weird winners every year, and Colombian players to so well on it?

oleada
05-13-2010, 04:12 PM
OH MY GOD :lol: The woman is insane. A fortune teller?! :rofl:

So far as we know, Andy Murray is not intending to add a fortune teller to his backroom staff. Jelena Jankovic, the Serb, has acquired one, who is seated in her player’s box presumably only on those occasions when the stars have foretold a victory for the world No 4.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article7124663.ece

Beefcake
05-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Jelena ... the girl truly is crazy. :rofl: And potential bettors will surely applaud knowing whether to wager for/against Jelena according to the presence of said personal charlatan or lack thereof.

:( Kim out of the French Open. Yeh, knew it was coming, but still.

Clijsters, JMDP, Haas, Andreev ... out of RG (www.cbssports.com/tennis/story/13391576/clijsters-del-potro-blake-latest-to-pull-out-of-french-open?tag=headlines;tennis)

James Blake has also withdrawn. OMG, who will win the title now? :P

In other news, Venus rising ... to #2 in the WTA rankings out next Monday. :cheer: Kudos, old girl!

The Sisters will #1/#2 for the first time since 2003. Brace yourself for every article to [ignore Venus' clay court woes and] mention that "Venus and Serena cannot meet at the French Open until the final". :lol:

oleada
05-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Davydenko has withdrawn as well.

Rottie
05-14-2010, 06:26 PM
OMG, they're dropping like flies swatted with tennis rackets! And I consider JMDP and Haas major eye candy, so I'm extra :( .

CaptCrunch
05-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Beefcake, thanks for the info a few days ago on the davis cup draw. Didn't realize the qualifying draw was coming out so it was good to see. USA could be in trouble against Colombia but in the end I suspect it will be OK. Giraldo is definitely an up and comer so he'll be tough to beat but I would hope that Isner and Querrey will have enough to be Falla who is really inconsistent. Tie could be 3-2.

Why is James Blake out of the French Open? What's his injury?

Beefcake
05-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Yes, it's good to see that John and Sam seem to be dedicated to DC, ala the Andy/Blake/Bryans triad of the past decade. That makes their recent, increased doubles teaming-up (esp. [generally successfully] in clay tournaments) even more of a godsend to the US fortunes. Though the Bryans are still surely preferred on the DC team, and hopefully will continue to participate and give their "automatic point", there's some risk with them on the team due to the roster limit of 4.

Presenting an Isner/Querrey/[third & fourth guy contingent surface and availability] DC team would/will give the team more options than having the Bryans there since the brothers are not viable as a singles substitution (sickness/injury).

Roland Garros: Not sure why James is out; but if I'm him, I might say "why bother?" anyway. Save it for hardcourts. Wondering about Roddick too. Because of his injury (or even if he's not) I'm half expecting him to drop out of RG. He's had - what - one doubles match on clay in the past month? He'd lose 3rd round points (his best in years), unfortunately.

Loves_Shizuka
05-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Surprised Venus handled Stosur so easily (6-3 6-3)
Rezai currently a set-up against JJ; I loves me some JJ (you know that) but Rezai is SO impressive.
Safarova beat a DREADFUL Petrova (how one earth did Serena play?!)
Peer beat Li :(
Gulbis-Federer currently a set-all.

oleada
05-14-2010, 08:47 PM
I had a bad feeling Rezai would win this one. The Madrid courts don't suit JJ as well as Rome. Oh well, good clay season, on to RG ;) Rezai played really well.

Fergus
05-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Oooh, Federer vs. Ferrer is good stuff! :watch:

Loves_Shizuka
05-15-2010, 09:15 PM
^Wish I could see it.

Really excited for a Venus-Rezai final; i like these two and it could be a really good match!