PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in the Ten. Let's all get our sticks back out.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Yehudi
01-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Some people are predicting a Grand Slam, which I think is a bit of a stretch. I could see him winning Wimbledon or the US Open, but I'd be more inclined to go with Nadal (gimpy knees and all), Djokovic, Murray, or Del Potro winning the French before picking Roger. As for catching Chris/Martina, I think that's doable. I think he still has a few more good years left in him and his style of play is such that he doesn't get injured too often.

oleada
01-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Roger :cheer: :cheer:
I'm so happy for him :encore:
(((Murray))) :( I didn't think he'd cry.

As for the French, I think you obviously have to consider him a favorite. I think Djokovic should do well, based on his last few clay seasons, freak loss last year aside.

jenny12
01-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Happy for Roger! As far as the Grand Slam,I think it might be tough with Del Potro and Nadal (even though he's hurting right now, I believe that he'll be back) at the French. I wish the final was more competitive (I've been spoiled by the awesome men's finals last year), but Roger schooled Murray who doesn't look ready yet to win his first Grand Slam. I felt bad for Murray, but he needs to find a way to not let his nerves overtake him in GS finals.

Beefcake
01-31-2010, 06:57 PM
:huh:

Why on earth should Graf (or anybody) apologise for somebody else's crazy actions? How on earth can you know that she wouldn't have won all those tournaments anyway? Seriously. :confused:
Apologize? I never said that, and would never expect Steffi to own any of that insane person's actions. Don't put words into my mouth - especially foul, small-minded words.

To defend myself in case others might mistake your interpretation of my words as my words ...

My point was that Steffi has been asked about how many majors she thought she'd won if Monica had not been stabbed, and whether Monica would have had many more majors herself. Steffi said directly that she believed she would have won all the ones she did, and has generally had not (as of about 5 years ago) allowed publicly that her success might have been mitigated if not for crazy man's actions.

Maybe she believed this, maybe not, but I like to see humbleness in people. Maybe have said something like "well, I know that Monica was on a different level, and one would think she'd have won a number of majors ... it's awful for the sport that we didn't get to see that."

Graf may have since pondered this in media or what-not, so my bad for not adding "circa early 00's".

Anyway, yes, Monica is my all-time favorite player - by a good bit - so I am more emotionally invested in her than others. I'm usually more into Graf's playing style, but ala Sampras' and Federer's, Steffi's detached on-court demeanor almost always seemed to have me rooting for her opponent, even when it wasn't Monica. Exception was Steffi's last Wimbledon title year, where she showed tons more fire and passion on court than prior times.

judgejudy27
01-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Maybe the reason Steffi was never willing to bow down and say Monica was always going to be over her is that even while Monica dominated the womens game she never dominated Graf head on. It was kind of like how even while Federer has dominated the mens game, he has never dominated Nadal head on. Nadal's problem to reaching dominance was not Federer, it was the field, and in 2008-early 2009 when he finally conquered the field he conquered the game. From 91-early 93, the period of Monica's dominance, Graf and Seles played 5 times. Graf won 3 of the 5, slammed Monica badly in 2 of them (including the Wimbledon final thrashing which adds to my doubts on Monica's prospects there), while Monica won 2 of the 5 which were both very hard fought 3 setters. They played only once a faster surface (grass, indoors, or fast hard court) which favored Graf which was a 6-2, 6-1 romp for Graf. Once a medium paced court which was neutral which Graf won 6-4, 6-3. Three times on a slower surface which favored Monica in the matchup, and all 3 were incredibly tight 3 setters with Graf winning one and Monica two. Graf was able to reach only 3 slam finals from start of 91-early 93, lost 7 of 8 matches to Sabatini in one stretch, lost 3 times to Novotna who she had a career 26-4 record against, lost a 6-2, 6-0 slam semifinal and straight sets U.S Open quarterfinal on fast hard courts to Sanchez Vicario, so in general you can see the kind of form she was in during this period as well. From 93-96 Graf rarely lost to anyone in slams, thus even if Monica were playing would have regularly been in slam finals those years until 91 and 92. As Monica has never demonstrated her ability to completely dominate Graf head on especialy on fast courts (even during Graf's slump and poor form for awhile), it is very much in doubt her continuing to win 3 slams a year.

Even considering the stabbing factor and layoff it is also very evident future top players like Hingis, Davenport, Venus, Serena, to a lesser degree Pierce are very bad matchups for her, and much worse than the top players of her dominance like Sabatini, Sanchez Vicario, Martinez, an old Navratilova, Huber. This is evidence by how much she dominated these seem players I mentioned when she returned to tour even in her post stabbing years, yet how so much trouble with these new breed players who could take her out of her comfort zone by overpowering her (Davenport and the Williams). Or by taking the ball as early as she and moving her around the court, something she didnt do great even in peak fitness (Hingis). She also had bad luck with both injuries and personal problems in the late 90s- the misfortunte of her fathers illness and impending death which she admits in her bio sent her into a tailspin even more than the stabbing, and some niggling injuries which were unlikely all related to her reduced fitness. So her even winning any slams from 96 or 97 onwards was no certainty either, let alone continuing to win the many more that would be required to reach a figure between 20 and 25.

liv
01-31-2010, 08:37 PM
So Happy to be wrong today! I thought Murray would win considering how he was awesome against Rafa, but I always wanted Roger to win. It wasn't a classic match by a long shot, Murray didn't hold up his side of the bargain, but Fed raised his level when it was needed. I think Murray will win someday, and who knows, maybe Fate has something more awesome in mind for him...like a title at Wimbledon. I think one there, even though he says he prefers the US OPEN, would make up for any other loss. He'd be a national hero. He's not as suited to it as many others, but remember, Conchita Martinez beat Navratilova there, so on some days, miracles happen.

AS for Steffi and Monica. Always loved Steffi. She may have lost to Monica, but they were always close 3set matches. Many people say, oh, Monica dominated Steffi, but when you are losing close matches it's not domination. After Steffi won Wimbledon over Monica, in straight easy sets, I really doubt Monica would ever have won Wimbledon. Either way, who knows what would have happened and I don't think you can fault Steffi for not saying much about it. I think that stabbing was a traumatic event for both players, obviously for Monica, but also for Steffi. I don't think I would recover that well knowing my opponent had been stabbed (and really, how surreal is that?!) because someone was obsessed with me. And I think not saying much in the press was the right thing. Anything she said could have been misconstrued.

Lorac
02-01-2010, 04:27 AM
Congrats to both Roger and Serena - both 28 but still fighting off the contendors and winning another Grand Slam apiece.

Looking forwards to the French Open - both have to be counted amongst the favourites for that title as well.

BTW the small blurb I saw scrolling aolong the bottom of the ESPN screen stated Nadal had a tear to the (ligament?) of the knee - that doesn't sound good - and 4 weeks doesn't seem long enouhg to let that heal - anyone have more info re that?

Loves_Shizuka
02-01-2010, 07:07 AM
^Yes, Nadal needs a small operation, and has then been advised to stay off the tennis court for a further week, and then to have two weeks of practice before he hits the competition court; so apparently his team have made a statement that Indian Wells (in 5 weeks time) is his comeback event, though some are sceptical. I think that, with all his recent problems, he should skip the hardcourt events (IW and Key Biscayne) and just come back on his beloved clay, which is so much kinda to his knees and legs. He'll already have slipped to no. 5 in the rankings by IW anyway. It's not been a good time for Rafa since *he* won the AO last year.

gingercrush
02-01-2010, 09:42 AM
The French Open always bring surprises and Serena Williams success there isn't the best. Federer too doesn't have that much success there. Sure they can be considered favourites but somehow I see Serena gone by the quarters.

Lorac
02-01-2010, 05:41 PM
^Yes, Nadal needs a small operation, and has then been advised to stay off the tennis court for a further week, and then to have two weeks of practice before he hits the competition court; so apparently his team have made a statement that Indian Wells (in 5 weeks time) is his comeback event, though some are sceptical. I think that, with all his recent problems, he should skip the hardcourt events (IW and Key Biscayne) and just come back on his beloved clay, which is so much kinda to his knees and legs. He'll already have slipped to no. 5 in the rankings by IW anyway. It's not been a good time for Rafa since *he* won the AO last year.

Thanks for the update - I would be very surprised if he actually makes IW as it seems to be pushing it a little. Focusing on getting fit and waiting to hit the clay seems to be a good idea - especially if he wants to regain the FO title!!

Of course the rankings would be interesting by then - will the FO committe ignore the world rankings and rank Nadal higher to ensure Fed/Nadal are kept on seperate sides of the draw and thus hope to set up the FO final to see if Fed can beat Nadal and solidify his legacy or if Nadal can see off the "pretender" so to speak!!! I'm probably thinking too far in advance for this scenerio :)

judgejudy27
02-01-2010, 06:38 PM
The French Open always bring surprises and Serena Williams success there isn't the best. Federer too doesn't have that much success there. Sure they can be considered favourites but somehow I see Serena gone by the quarters.

I think Henin is nearly a shoo in for the French. If she came this close to winning her 2nd event back on hard courts still rusty and with no serve yet, she will have no problem winning there where she has been so dominant in the past. I agree Serena will be gone in the quarters or sooner most likely.

I think the mens at the French will be fairly open this year with Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, and Del Potro all having a shot to win.

neptune
02-01-2010, 07:17 PM
If she came this close to winning her 2nd event back on hard courts still rusty and with no serve yet, she will have no problem winning there where she has been so dominant in the past.

She'd definitely be the favorite. I hope she can get all the rust out of her armor by that time so that she can challenge at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open too. I hope Kim stays in good shape as well.

Seerek
02-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Actually, I'm not sure anymore with Novak's ability to really grind it out and win 7 matches during a Grand Slam tournament. He kind of petered out against Tsonga. I'd pick Davydenko and Del Potro over Novak on clay.

As for Justine - it will be interesting if she continues employing a more offensive minded game on clay - she may be better off opting for higher first serve percentages.

skipaway
02-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Martina Hingis to play WTT. Her 2yr. suspension was up Sept. 30th. No committment to the WTA

Martina Hingis (http://www.sportingnews.com/tennis/article/2010-02-03/martina-hingis-play-wtt-rules-out-full-return)

judgejudy27
02-03-2010, 07:24 PM
It would be a mistake for Hingis to delude herself into thinking a comeback to the WTA at this point would be anymore than a disaester for her. Her last comeback started decently in 2006 as she was a bottom end top 10 player though no threat at all to the big 4 of the time of Henin, Clijsters, Sharapova, and Mauresmo who went something like a combined 11-1 vs her. However by the 2nd year of her comeback in 2007 she was no longer top 10, more top 20, and was losing regularly to people like Patty Schnyder. She reached the quarters of 3 slams, losing all 3 times to a semifinal loser, and the other 4 slams she played she was upset in the 3rd round or earlier.

She would now be going on 30. Henin and Clijsters are not a benchmark for what she could do. They are far more powerful and explosive hitters with stronger serves and more penetrating groundstrokes than she, and more athletic ability and speed (though Hingis was pretty good here too) than she. In other words they are more suited to todays game than Hingis is. In addition to being younger and having obviously played far more active tennis the past decade even with their own retirement period.