PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in the Ten. Let's all get our sticks back out.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Loves_Shizuka
01-30-2010, 09:56 PM
I hope too, but I think this may be Murrays time. I can feel it in my waters. ;)

judgejudy27
01-30-2010, 09:59 PM
If Roger plays like he did in the semis Murray has no chance IMO, even if he plays his best. Murray's only chance is if Roger is off, and I doubt he will understimate Murray like he did Del Potro, nor can Murray overpower Roger like Del Potro on fire can do. I think Roger will win, and it will be 4 sets at most. It is similar to the womens final in that it is 2 players I dont even like so I dont care much about the outcome. It is dissapointing none of my favorites made a singles final here.

As for Azarenka that brainless one dimensional ball bashing choker will never win a slam. Neither will Wozniacki the pusher. Wickmayer could win slams in the future though.

Aaron W
01-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Me too. I hope some young players start challenging and breaking out as well. Azarenka and Wickmayer have the most potential to do that, IMO.

Just please something happen to Azarenka's vocal chords so that she'll never ever be able to produce any audible grunting sound in the future!

sweetsparky
01-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Congratulations Serena Williams :40beers: and welcome back to the big ones Henin :cheer:

:cheer2: Go Federer :cheer2:

I have barely watched one complete match this Australian Open :drama: flu, Europeans, work...and bad memory :shuffle:

Jimena
01-30-2010, 10:44 PM
I really hope Wickmayer steps up. Her match with Henin was wonderful. She has a great game.

I might be the only one, but Azarenka's whale call doesn't bug me that much. I'm much more bothered by Sharapova, Venus and Serena. What bothers me about Azarenka is the length of her shriek. It's like she just keeps on exhaling forever. That's not cool.

liv
01-30-2010, 10:47 PM
Sad for Justine not winning, because I really don't like Serena (although I respect her fighting spirit), but it's still a win for her to reach a Grand Slam final in her 2nd tournament. It shows how sad women's tennis was when both she and Kim can come back and be immediately successful. Thank goodness they're back. It will be interesting again!

Although I want Roger to win, I think Murray has this one. He's had Roger's number in the past and for some reason, Roger has not played that well in Slam finals recently. Yes, I know he won 2 last year and was in the final the other 2 times, but you don't see him on fire. If he plays like he did against Tsonga, I'll be surprised. I just hope it's a good match and both players play their best. Then it will be worth being up at 3:30am.

judgejudy27
01-30-2010, 11:09 PM
While I agree the current womens field leaves alot to be desired (although improved from its 08-09 low already) do any of you remember in 1995 Seles returned to tour after a 2 and a half year hiatus due to the horrific stabbing, grossly overweight, bad tendonitis in her knee which caused her to miss another 4 months after her 2 comeback events, and still thrashed to field to win the Canadian Open, and nearly won the U.S Open.

Jimena
01-30-2010, 11:20 PM
I think the women's game has always suffered from a lack of depth, frankly. It's just that the latest iteration of this (08-09) came after a period where many people thought there were many contenders for major titles. In 07 we had Venus and Serena, Justine and Kim, the rise of the Serbians, Sharapova, and a bunch of Russian contenders. That's a pretty solid top 10 right there.

And then in 09, Wozniacki got to #4. I mean, seriously.

judgejudy27
01-31-2010, 12:50 AM
The Serbians have fallen flat at the moment. Though I think Jelena is still in the mix, she just needs to put it together in the big event a bit more. Ana has a ways to go to comeback but it still young. The group of Russians are a bit crazy as competitors and I think they will always be a bit of enigmas, but they bring an unpredictable extra variable.

RIskatingfan
01-31-2010, 02:07 AM
Federer better win the bloody match, I'm waking up tomorrow at 8:30 on purpose to watch it :lynch:

CaptCrunch
01-31-2010, 03:26 AM
While I agree the current womens field leaves alot to be desired (although improved from its 08-09 low already) do any of you remember in 1995 Seles returned to tour after a 2 and a half year hiatus due to the horrific stabbing, grossly overweight, bad tendonitis in her knee which caused her to miss another 4 months after her 2 comeback events, and still thrashed to field to win the Canadian Open, and nearly won the U.S Open.

Yes but.....you can make a case for Seles being the greatest women's tennis player of all-time. As we know, before the stabbing she was dominating Steffi Graf and the rest of the womens tour.

Fed for the win tonight!! :respec:

judgejudy27
01-31-2010, 03:28 AM
Yes but.....you can make a case for Seles being the greatest women's tennis player of all-time.

Not really IMO. I love Monica but she never won Wimbledon, and even without the stabbing there is no certainty or strong indication she was going to win it more than maybe once, whereas atleast 3 titles there would be required for any greatest ever consideration. In womens tennis of course the greatest several players of all time win multiple titles at every venue, very different from mens.

Beefcake
01-31-2010, 03:40 AM
So, there's a minimum Wimbledon wins to be considered greatest ever? :lol:

Monica was a force of nature before the Graf fan stabbed her. EVERY indication was that she was going to be unstoppable for years to come. Even if Monica had missed only a couple of months due to the tragedy, a comeback to "that" player wasn't possible. Seles was changed ... missing the astounding confidence and aggression that had taken her to the top.

Seles WOULD be at around 20-25 Slam titles, including a couple of Wimbledons, if that SOB hadn't attacked. I don't think there is ANY doubt about that.

Something that still peeves me after all of these years is Steffi's not acknowledging that her fan's actions cost Monica multiple Slams ... and insisting that she'd have had just as much success without a crazy man taking out the competition in her name.

judgejudy27
01-31-2010, 03:47 AM
So, there's a minimum Wimbledon wins to be considered greatest ever? :lol:

Absolutely considering it is the biggest tournament in the World, and like I said in womens tennis the greatest ever win multiple times at every slam anyway. So of course several Wimbledons would be required to be the greatest ever womens player. Seles in her whole career got past the quarters of Wimbledon all but once and was humiliated 6-2, 6-1 in the final by Graf the one time she did. Post stabbing when she was still reaching semis and finals of other slams she was losing 2nd and 3rd rounds of Wimbledon to nobodies most times. If you polled serious tennis experts and fans to Monica's likely Wimbledon record without the stabbing you might get 60% picking her to win it atleast once, and 10% picking her to win it atleast twice if you were lucky.

For the record I dont consider Graf the greatest ever either, although many do. I consider Navratilova, Evert, and Court head and shoulders above her.

hydro
01-31-2010, 05:31 AM
Just saw the match, :cheer2: Serena :respec:

What an amazing final. Kudos to Serena for playing every day at the open, and winning both singles and doubles. Absolutely amazing.

Also, congrats to Henin for making it the finals on her first competition back.

I think of Federer plays the way he played against Tsonga, Murray won't have a chance to even get into the match.