PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in the Ten. Let's all get our sticks back out.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

neptune
01-28-2010, 05:44 PM
I would have to concur after today I expect Justine to win the final. I dont know whether to be glad or unhappy about that as I dislike her and Serena about equally anyway.

I think it's about 50-50. Even though I don't dislike Justine (but I don't condone any attempts on her part to cheat), if she were playing Kim in the final, I'd probably be rooting for Kim. But I'm just glad that Serena has some competition--it's been painful the last couple of years watching her waltz to titles in extremely weak fields. :(

As for Venus, I think she still may have another French Open title or two in her. :lol: Seriously, I think she has the potential to win Wimbledon at least once more, but I really hope a challenger steps up to the plate and steals the show. Kim, Justine, Elena--or anybody else for that matter.

Fergus
01-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Andy Murray's mouth (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100128/twl-murray-through-to-final-in-melbourne-41f21e0.html). :eek: :scream:

Watch out for those Australian bugs, Andrew!

Beefcake
01-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Andy Murray's mouth (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100128/twl-murray-through-to-final-in-melbourne-41f21e0.html). :eek: :scream:
another angle (upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Ostrich,_mouth_open.jpg) :D

Go, Andy! Win this thing.

Seerek
01-28-2010, 06:53 PM
I think if you could combine the best qualities of Na and Zheng they would be great and could even win slams. They both lack what the other has, and has what the other needs. Zheng needs Na's serve, power, and shotmaking ability. Na needs Zheng's consistency, speed, ability to play defense, and court smarts.

It is interesting how both Na Li and Jie Zheng are quite different in their strengths.

I think the style of play has also affected their career results: Na Li is capable of both big wins and but also very bad losses, while Zheng tends to not necessarily have many big wins over those ranked ahead of her, but neither does she have many bad losses to those ranked far below her.

BigB08822
01-28-2010, 07:23 PM
I know some people don't like Federer (why, I don't get it!?) but Murray seems like the ONE person who would surely be less likable than Federer! Of course I could be getting ahead of myself because Tsonga is always dangerous. However, no matter who the opponent, I think Murray is outclassed by both (other than tennis play). Oh wait, maybe you people root for the actual best TENNIS player? teehee!

Jimena
01-28-2010, 07:25 PM
another angle (upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Ostrich,_mouth_open.jpg) :D

He looks way better in that one... :shuffle:

oleada
01-28-2010, 11:19 PM
I know some people don't like Federer (why, I don't get it!?) but Murray seems like the ONE person who would surely be less likable than Federer! Of course I could be getting ahead of myself because Tsonga is always dangerous. However, no matter who the opponent, I think Murray is outclassed by both (other than tennis play). Oh wait, maybe you people root for the actual best TENNIS player? teehee!

Anyone but Murray :saint:

Lorac
01-29-2010, 01:10 AM
Anyone but Murray :saint:

Agreed 200%!! I would love to see Federer win but would not be heartbroken if Tsonga won through and then kicked Murrays arrogant a$%e all over the court!!

As to the women - Henin may be fresher but Serena is hungrier I think - she would not like to see herself lose to two unretired Belgiums in less than 6 months - that alone could motivate her and push her to the finish line!!!

Aussie Willy
01-29-2010, 01:39 AM
Just popping into say that I saw the best match of the open on TV last night. Leconte and Rafter Vs Arthurs and Cash. Brillant entertainment.

hydro
01-29-2010, 01:59 AM
So there's no Tennis on tonight for US TV?

omuma
01-29-2010, 03:59 AM
Only at 3.30am ET.

Jimena
01-29-2010, 11:24 AM
I woke up this morning expecting Roger and Jo to be in the 4th set and I turned the TV and found Mike and Mike instead.

Disappointing.

Well, good for Roger.

Megi
01-29-2010, 05:16 PM
What is the ranking situation between Murray and Djokovic now. I know Djokovic cant pass Nadal now, but what would Murray have to do in order to pass him.

If Andy wins Australian Open, he become number 2 ahead of Novak and Rafa. But because he isn't defending Rotterdam this year, Novak is guaranteed number 2 the Monday after that tournament (it's sometime in February, IIRC).

However, if Muzza doesn't win the the Aussie title, Djokovic will be number 2 on Monday.

On each account, it will be so bizarre to see Rafa down in #4. :(

judgejudy27
01-29-2010, 05:42 PM
If Andy wins Australian Open, he become number 2 ahead of Novak and Rafa. But because he isn't defending Rotterdam this year, Novak is guaranteed number 2 the Monday after that tournament (it's sometime in February, IIRC).

However, if Muzza doesn't win the the Aussie title, Djokovic will be number 2 on Monday.

On each account, it will be so bizarre to see Rafa down in #4. :(

Thanks. Well seeing Federer's play his last 5.5 sets I doubt Murray will win tommorow anyway so I see Djokovic being #2 on Monday.

As for Rafa things could still get worse. He has titles to defend at Indian Wells, Monte Carlo, and Rome. Even if he is healthy to play Indian Wells winning a Masters title right now on hard courts, especialy just coming off injury, seems unlikey. Miami he lost in the quarters so could hold or even gain there. However Monte Carlo and Rome will be another challenge. Rafa has dominated clay in the past but right now even that isnt a sure bet, so he will have a challenge to defend those points too. A final at Madrid from last year. The French Open and Wimbledon period is the first time he can really try and gain points again, but but then he could well be lower than #4.

Beefcake
01-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Rafa is confirmed out for "up to four weeks" or "around four weeks", depending on which article you read. So, yeh, he's going to be losing big points during the layoff, and likely when he comes back ... perhaps gimpy and definitely gingerly.