PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in the Ten. Let's all get our sticks back out.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Megi
01-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Go ROGER!

Hope he wins! :D

For once, so do I! :lol:

judgejudy27
01-27-2010, 05:20 PM
For once, so do I! :lol:

What is the ranking situation between Murray and Djokovic now. I know Djokovic cant pass Nadal now, but what would Murray have to do in order to pass him.

judgejudy27
01-27-2010, 05:24 PM
That's a very real possibility. Plus, Serena will have all the pressure, not Henin. Also, Serena tends to run hot and cold, so I think anything is possible.

It is hard to say what will happen. Both have played some poor tennis at times this fortnight and both have gotten very lucky IMO (Henin with her draw collapsing, Serena with Azarenkas huge choke). I would guess a 3 setter of some ugly tennis on both sides if that is the final, with the player fitter/less injured probably winning. This event has only served a showcase how bad the WTA is as a whole right now, made even worse by how strong the ATP tour is at the moment.

I can understand if people don't like either Serena or Henin, but I have difficulty understanding liking Serena but not Henin, at least when it comes to their behavior (not their games). To me, Henin seems almost like a blushing bride when compared with Serena. ;)

I am not a big fan of either player to be honest. I prefer Henins game style and off court sportsmanship, but I prefer Serenas on court sportmanship (minus the U.S Open debacle). Both are great players of course but I have never really rooted for either one. I root for Venus much more than either, but unfortunately it looks like she is on her last legs now. Venus is really a classy lady and I think she has atleast as much power, athleticsm talent as Serena which is of course a very considerable amount. It is just too bad she doesnt have Serena, Henin, or even Marias fighting qualities (especialy when she plays Serena in a big mach) and is now aging and past her prime a bit.

Rottie
01-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Watching tennis last night was very surreal. I kept watching about the first set of a match (stayed awake until Azarenka up 4-0 in the 2nd), then falling asleep until about the time the next match started. Needless to say, the result was always completely opposite to what my brain had gone to sleep thinking!

Loves_Shizuka
01-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Neither Henin nor Serena are my faves (or close, really) I think both have tremendous games, but questionable qualities off-court; but then who am I to say; I don't "know" theem, and it's all subjective. I do agree though, that Vee is the epitome of class.

judgejudy27
01-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Neither Henin nor Serena are my faves (or close, really) I think both have tremendous games, but questionable qualities off-court; but then who am I to say; I don't "know" theem, and it's all subjective. I do agree though, that Vee is the epitome of class.

Atleast Serena has never blatantly cheated during a match like Henin has tried to do on atleast 2 occasions- 2003 French semis and 2004 Australian Open final. Mind you in front of reporters and when talking about other players Serena is by far the worst, so I guess it balances out between them for me. Both are exciting players to watch play tennis though in their own way- Serena for her power, athleticsm, and fighting spirit, Henin for her shocking power that belies her size, variety, and amazing speed around the court.

BigB08822
01-27-2010, 07:52 PM
I think both of them need a lesson in humility. However, Henin is a cheater and cry baby. Serena plays her arse off on court and will make excuses after a loss. However, Henin tries to cheat her way to victory AND makes excuses if she loses. I just can't stand people who are so full of themselves that they think they can get away with cheating in front of thousands of people in the stands and millions on TV...and then they DO get away with it! ARGH!

judgejudy27
01-27-2010, 08:00 PM
I think both of them need a lesson in humility. However, Henin is a cheater and cry baby. Serena plays her arse off on court and will make excuses after a loss. However, Henin tries to cheat her way to victory AND makes excuses if she loses. I just can't stand people who are so full of themselves that they think they can get away with cheating in front of thousands of people in the stands and millions on TV...and then they DO get away with it! ARGH!

I remember after the whole finger incident against Clijsters in the Aussie Open final in 2004, the successful overrule in Henins favor (which wasnt even correct of course) when the shot spot showed up on the big screen in the Arena she was smirking as the crowd were starting to boo before her service game. Basically I agree with everything you said.

CaptCrunch
01-27-2010, 10:35 PM
BTW, has the Australian Open typically been scheduling both the women's and men's finals on the last Sunday of the tournament? I can't remember what it's been like in the past. I was thinking the women's final would be Saturday afternoon (which would be Friday night here) and the men would be Sunday afternoon (which would be Saturday night here). Instead, the women are on Saturday night and the men are at 3am on Sunday morning (US east coast). :( As much as I'd like to watch the men (and much morseo than the women), there's no way in hell I'm waking up at that time to watch.

Aaron, the ladies final is on Saturday night in Australia which is 330am EST Saturday morning here in the States. Mens final is Sunday night in Australia which is 330am EST Sunday morning here in the States.

Same schedule as last year when the ladies event was played at night for the first time.

BigB08822
01-28-2010, 03:29 AM
Li breaks to get this 5-5 in the first set. I am rooting for Li just to have a Chinese woman in the final of a Slam but at the same time I want Serena to win so she can stop Henin. I am all for Li winning so long as Zheng wins as well.

judgejudy27
01-28-2010, 04:06 AM
Li breaks to get this 5-5 in the first set. I am rooting for Li just to have a Chinese woman in the final of a Slam but at the same time I want Serena to win so she can stop Henin. I am all for Li winning so long as Zheng wins as well.

I honestly cant imagine either of them (the Chinese) winning. They are very good players but I am pretty sure this is the end of the line for them. Li Na is too inconsistent, and Zheng has too weak a serve and is too lacking in firepower.

elka_sk8
01-28-2010, 04:11 AM
Ooooh I love that Radwanska/Kirilenko are in the semis in women's doubles! I didn't realize they were playing together now.

oleada
01-28-2010, 04:13 AM
Ooooh I love that Radwanska/Kirilenko are in the semis in women's doubles! I didn't realize they were playing together now.

I hope they win :cheer: I watched them play some match because it came on my ESPN360 and they made a really nice team. Got tons of balls back and they were really clever. Even if they win (tough ask) they'll probably get destroyed by the WS in the finals, but it'll be a great achievement for them.

How great has this slam been for Maria Kirilenko?! :respec:

Loves_Shizuka
01-28-2010, 04:56 AM
Serena wins 7-6 7-6; was a tough match! Na played better than I expected, just a little inconsistent at key moments, but saved 4 MP well. Serena was mighty releived to win that, and in 2 sets, I think.

Congrats to both players.

oleada
01-28-2010, 05:01 AM
Yeah, it was a solid match. Na played much better than I thought she would. If it had gone to the third, I think she might have been able to pull it off given how Serena was moving.