PDA

View Full Version : Jay Leno back to old timeslot?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

PrincessLeppard
01-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Honestly--does anyone watch late-night local news? Really? Because I know the earlier evening broadcasts are dying out, at least the national feed. The only time I ever check is if I think there's going to be a snow storm and need to see school closings for work. Regular weather, etc I can get on-line (or on the Weather Channel any time), national stories are on the 24-hour channels, and does anyone care THAT much about minor local news?

I watch the local news at 5, 6 and 10. And the morning broadcast as I'm getting ready... :shuffle:

numbers123
01-14-2010, 11:19 PM
I watch the local news at 5, 6 and 10. And the morning broadcast as I'm getting ready... :shuffle:

:shuffle: uh me too. And now that I am unemployed I watch at 11:30 a and 4 pm.

By 10, I could repeat what will be said. Unless something major happened between 6 p and 10 p and they haven't broken into regular programming to tell us or scroll across the bottom of the screen to tell us. :slinkaway

fenway2
01-14-2010, 11:29 PM
I watched Leno last night, and he seemed ever so slightly off his game. It's hard to explain. Small things, like when you're not giving something your full attention.

I only ever watched his show once (just a ten minute segment in which he had Joe Torre on) but I've heard multiple people say he has seemed off this week. Can't say I'm shocked. He's not exactly a popular person right now. His PR people must be working over time to fix his image. That would HAVE to throw off your game.

orbitz
01-15-2010, 03:20 AM
Is Leno not popular among his comedien peers? I haven't seen any late shows, but it seems like Letterman and Kimmel have taken shots at Leno in this fiasco as if Jay's the bad guy. I know Howard Stern doesn't like Leno so I can only imagine what he has been saying about Jay on his radio show. Jay is simply taking the opportunity presented to him like most of us would in life and at work. You can't worry about people feeling stepped on because at the end of the day you have to take care of yourself.

libby
01-15-2010, 04:00 AM
Is Leno not popular among his comedien peers? I haven't seen any late shows, but it seems like Letterman and Kimmel have taken shots at Leno in this fiasco as if Jay's the bad guy. I know Howard Stern doesn't like Leno so I can only imagine what he has been saying about Jay on his radio show. Jay is simply taking the opportunity presented to him like most of us would in life and at work. You can't worry about people feeling stepped on because at the end of the day you have to take care of yourself.

I think there is still lingering resentment over the way that Jay's manager/producer in his early days as host of the Tonight Show, Helen Kushnik, blackballed celebrities who appeared on any of the other nighttime talk shows. If any celebrity was booked on Letterman or Arsenio, she would call their manager and talent agency and threaten to ban ALL of their clients from the Tonight Show unless they canceled on the other show.

Kushnik had been Jay's manager for many years, and he apparently felt a sense of responsibility toward her after her husband and son died tragically, but when celebrities and rivals alike started balking to the media about the blackballing, he fired her from the Tonight Show after only four months. I don't think the bad feelings ever went away completely, though.

Allskate
01-15-2010, 05:01 AM

Perhaps some people don't respect the fact that Jay is stepping on Conan. I don't. Instead of competing against Jay on another network, Conan agreed to do his show at 12:30 for years with the promise that he would get the Tonight Show. Jay had agreed to this. It helped him because keeping Conan from competing head to head increased Jay's ratings. When he changed his mind about wanting to do late night tv longer, he could have gone to Fox, but he took the NBC offer of a 10:00p.m. show, knowing that it was risky. Now that NBC affiliates are upset about Jay's low ratings because it has impacted their news ratings, the honchos at NBC have decided to end Jay's show. They reportedly have signed a new contract with Jay for him to do an 11:30 show, thus depriving Conan of the show he waited and sacrificed for. NBC would not have done this to Conan without Jay's agreement.

IMO, that's why people do not respect what Jay did. He made decisions that are not currently making him happy, and instead of going to Fox or sucking it up, he is helping NBC screw over Conan. Some might say that it's fine to behave in this way, but I think there are plenty of people, especially others who perform on late night, who think it's really sleazy. Plus, Jimmy Fallon also is being impacted by this.

reckless
01-15-2010, 05:20 AM
I'm sure there is video online, but Conan last night (Jan 13) was hysterical. The monologue great. Here are a few bits that had me cracking up:

I'm trying very hard to stay positive here, and I want to tell you something. This is honest. Hosting The Tonight Show has been the fulfillment of a life-long dream for me. And I just want to say to the kids out there watching: You can do anything you want in life. Yeah, unless Jay Leno wants to do it, too.

And:

Of course, you all know NBC is broadcasting the Winter Olympics in just a few weeks. And I just heard this, NBC executives have been making some changes to improve the Olympics. Did you know that? This is big. Here are just some of the changes NBC is implementing. It's pretty cool.

(Video here.)

Move the Winter Olympics to summer, but still call them The Winter Olympics.

Replace the Olympic theme with Subway's "5 Dollar Footlong" song.

Have all event judging done by Paula Abdul, David Hasselhoff and for some reason, Flavor Flav.

Attempt to boost ratings with new event featuring obese people on sleds called 'The Biggest Luger."

Replace the flags on the giant slalom course with breached NBC contracts.

Reserve the right to cancel ski jumps mid-jump.

Move the Bronze up to Gold's place, Silver stays where it is, and add a new medal for fourth place called the "NBC."

Also, he had Ricky Gervais on, and Ricky just kept ripping on NBC and telling Conan he could do whatever he wanted. They kept joking that the show had probably been taken off the air.

DBZ
01-15-2010, 06:07 AM
Perhaps some people don't respect the fact that Jay is stepping on Conan.

Didn't he step on Letterman too in order to get The Tonight Show in the first place? Maybe someone can refresh my memory, but wasn't Letterman next in line after Carson, but due to some shady politicizing on Jay's part, he ended up getting the gig?

If so, I'm sure for many comics who don't respect Jay, this might all seem like history repeating itself.

orbitz
01-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Didn't he step on Letterman too in order to get The Tonight Show in the first place? Maybe someone can refresh my memory, but wasn't Letterman next in line after Carson, but due to some shady politicizing on Jay's part, he ended up getting the gig?

I believe the NBC execs gave Jay the job, because he appealed to a greater mass audience than DL who was deemed maybe too edgy for middle America. Carson favored Letterman instead.

Allskate
01-15-2010, 07:05 AM

If so, I'm sure for many comics who don't respect Jay, this might all seem like history repeating itself.

Similar, but not quite as bad. My understanding is that Letterman was led to believe that the Tonight Show would be his and he stayed at NBC as a result instead of going to another network at 11:30. But, I don't think his contract actually promised him the Tonight Show. But, yeah, some of people definitely see this as a pattern. Whoopi Goldberg mentioned this when she was slamming NBC. I don't know about shady politicizing by Jay in that episode, though.

I wish I had seen Ricky Gervais on Conan. That must have been funny.

ETA: OMG. Kimmel was so brazen as a guest on Leno tonight. Just caught it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FNmWFD4oWg

Kimmel made it pretty clear what he thinks of what Leno is doing, and he did it on Leno's own show. And it was funny, too! I would have loved to have heard Leno's reaction backstage after the show.

laurenjm
01-15-2010, 12:37 PM
I think that NBC is being shitty to both of them.

Jay's show failed, go away and so something else!

Says alot about the integrity of NBC, but duh, who didn't know that?

Meredith
01-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Letterman's been on fire lately anyway. And I hope the rumor is true & Letterman brings Conan on as a guest in a few weeks.

Now that I would DVR. :)

Andora
01-15-2010, 03:46 PM
MAN. Kimmel let Jay have it. I wonder why Leno subjected himself to that? Sympathy? It might work-- I still think Jay's a putz, but I almost felt bad for Leno after Kimmel. Though I certainly agreed with Jimmy.

Satellitegirl
01-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Loved what Jimmy did. Can't stand the fact that Leno has the balls to take back the Tonight Show.

manleywoman
01-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Perhaps some people don't respect the fact that Jay is stepping on Conan. I don't. Instead of competing against Jay on another network, Conan agreed to do his show at 12:30 for years with the promise that he would get the Tonight Show. Jay had agreed to this. It helped him because keeping Conan from competing head to head increased Jay's ratings. When he changed his mind about wanting to do late night tv longer, he could have gone to Fox, but he took the NBC offer of a 10:00p.m. show, knowing that it was risky. Now that NBC affiliates are upset about Jay's low ratings because it has impacted their news ratings, the honchos at NBC have decided to end Jay's show. They reportedly have signed a new contract with Jay for him to do an 11:30 show, thus depriving Conan of the show he waited and sacrificed for. NBC would not have done this to Conan without Jay's agreement.

IMO, that's why people do not respect what Jay did. He made decisions that are not currently making him happy, and instead of going to Fox or sucking it up, he is helping NBC screw over Conan. Some might say that it's fine to behave in this way, but I think there are plenty of people, especially others who perform on late night, who think it's really sleazy. Plus, Jimmy Fallon also is being impacted by this.

well said