PDA

View Full Version : Jay Leno back to old timeslot?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

reckless
01-14-2010, 04:24 PM
IIRC, both Joan Rivers and Arsenio Hall had late-night talk shows on FOX; I don't recall the amount of success they had (obviously, neither is still on the air). I heard a couple of critics musing that Conan could go to FOX and get a jump start on the competition by beginning his show at 11 ET, 10 CT. I say begin your show at the "traditional" time, 11:35pm.
It doesn't work that way. The late-night talk shows require a lead-in from the late local news, which, in turn, require a lead-in from the primetime network schedule. Fox's late-night already suffers from the fact that people switch from Fox to primetime programming on other networks instead of watching the local Fox news. To then put in another 35 minutes of filler would further degrade the Fox late-night audience.

Late-night news and programming shows benefit in large part from passivity. People watch primetime shows, but do not change the channel as much after those shows end. Their TVs remain on whatever news programming follows those shows and then feeds into late-night talk shows. For this reason, I think the comment about DVRs is misguided. I don't think a lot of people record the late-night talk shows unless there is some particular advance reason for them to do so -- advance word of mouth about a particular episode or a particular guest they want to see. But that is probably a very small segment of viewers. To many viewers, the talk show hosts are fungible.

This can be seen by the fact that Leno took the ratings lead over Letterman after NBC had the Olympics and improved its 10 pm ratings. Letterman took the lead back when CBS' 10 pm programming improved and NBC's tanked.

deltask8er
01-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Arsenio Hall's show was hot for a few months, at least. He beat Carson in the ratings at least once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYwIsJpPqX0

I mentioned before on how Conan's studio looks a LOT like Arsenio's studio.

I can't remember what time of day Rivers' show was on Fox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlHw1PvMv-A

I just remember one classic moment where David Bowie's ex-wife appeared on her show. It had been 10 years since Angela divorced Bowie, so I think she was legally allowed to talk about her marriage at that point. She didn't reveal much at all during her few minutes on the show. A boring guest :blah: . After her, though, was Howard Stern. Stern immediately talked about how disappointed he was with Angela Bowie's non-revealing appearance. Joan was like "yeah, we paid for a first-class flight from NY for her, set her up in a nice hotel...all for what?!". So Stern insisted that Angela Bowie come back and sit down between the two of them (can you imagine being interviewed by both Rivers and Stern simultaneously? :yikes: ). At least they got some dirt out of her then. She found Bowie in bed with another person one morning -- Mick Jagger :smokin: :smokin: .

Allskate
01-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Conan might think he could get more viewers on Fox at 11:00 than he could on NBC at 12:05 following a long monologue from Jay. And given how rich he is already, he might be willing to take a pay cut to move to another network just because he's pissed at NBC and thinks (whether true or not) that Fox would treat him with more decency and honesty than NBC.

dbell1
01-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Conan may be able to sit for 6-12 months before his next job (if NBC does that to him), but what about his crew & staff? There's where the real sad story comes in. He made it quite clear in his press release that his staff is also now affected. I can't imagine uprooting my son and mom to LA for a job and then hearing the ex boss wants us all to leave since he doesn't like his hours.

danceronice
01-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Honestly--does anyone watch late-night local news? Really? Because I know the earlier evening broadcasts are dying out, at least the national feed. The only time I ever check is if I think there's going to be a snow storm and need to see school closings for work. Regular weather, etc I can get on-line (or on the Weather Channel any time), national stories are on the 24-hour channels, and does anyone care THAT much about minor local news?

orbitz
01-14-2010, 05:23 PM
I can't imagine uprooting my son and mom to LA for a job and then hearing the ex boss wants us all to leave since he doesn't like his hours.

NBC does not want Conan and staff to leave. I repeat. NBC does not want Conan and staff to leave. It's up to Conan to decide wether everyone on his staff will still have a job or not.

It's the host and talents working on the show that make or break the show and not the timeslot (I'm talking about the 11:30pm slot and not about primetime TV schedulings).

Andora
01-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Honestly--does anyone watch late-night local news? Really? Because I know the earlier evening broadcasts are dying out, at least the national feed. The only time I ever check is if I think there's going to be a snow storm and need to see school closings for work. Regular weather, etc I can get on-line (or on the Weather Channel any time), national stories are on the 24-hour channels, and does anyone care THAT much about minor local news?

I always wonder about what people actually watch and when, considering myself and my contemporaries don't. But then I visit my parents and notice their viewing habits. My dad doesn't miss the 11:00 news. Many of his contemporaries don't. And if he's not working the next day, it's Leno he checks out and mentions with his friends.

Not that he and I are necessarily representative enough for a full picture, but it's kinda ridiculous to insist no one watches something when you don't.

soxxy
01-14-2010, 06:14 PM

I watch the 11 o'clock local late-night newscast, although I've usually fallen asleep by 11:15 by the time they've gotten to the weather, which is my primary reason for tuning in. :( But, it is a real factor that NBC's affiliates were upset with the much smaller lead-in to the newscast with Jay at 10, as opposed to Law and Order and whatever dramas they put on at that hour. Apparently, people still do watch.

soxxy
01-14-2010, 06:21 PM
It doesn't work that way. The late-night talk shows require a lead-in from the late local news, which, in turn, require a lead-in from the primetime network schedule. Fox's late-night already suffers from the fact that people switch from Fox to primetime programming on other networks instead of watching the local Fox news. To then put in another 35 minutes of filler would further degrade the Fox late-night audience.

I have my doubts if viewers will watch a sixty-minute newscast at 10.

Latte
01-14-2010, 08:31 PM
You mean Conan?

Actually, I meant Jay, as he was saying things like

"I heard the weather was great at FOX this time of year."
and
"NBC stands for Never Believe Your Contract."

But that was a week ago and now Conan is talking about walking, so, who knows.:watch:

reckless
01-14-2010, 09:28 PM
I have my doubts if viewers will watch a sixty-minute newscast at 10.
Is that not how Fox's late newscast is where you live? In LA, after Fox's primetime ends at 10 pm, we have a one-hour broadcast, followed by repeats of shows like The Simpsons and The Office. We actually have three competing 1-hour news broadcasts at 10 pm (on Fox, on CW, and on a local channel).

But if you only have a half-hour news broadcast after Fox primetime ends, then it would probably be even worse for a 11:35 start time for a Late Night show, since viewers would probably turn from repeats of old shows to the last half-hour of whatever new network programming is running.

soxxy
01-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Is that not how Fox's late newscast is where you live? In LA, after Fox's primetime ends at 10 pm, we have a one-hour broadcast, followed by repeats of shows like The Simpsons and The Office. We actually have three competing 1-hour news broadcasts at 10 pm (on Fox, on CW, and on a local channel).

In my area, FOX broadcasts at 10, an early edition of our CBS affilitate's 11 o'clock thirty-five minute broadcast for, er, forty-five minutes, followed by a fifteen minute sports "wrap-up." Then at 11 I think it's 'Seinfeld' that follows, Family Guy, Inside Edition, etc.

fenway2
01-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Well not that I ever watched him before really but now I REALLY won't watch Leno. Letterman's been on fire lately anyway. And I hope the rumor is true & Letterman brings Conan on as a guest in a few weeks. That will be SPECTACULAR.

ArtisticFan
01-14-2010, 10:13 PM
In Atlanta the FOX affiliate has an hour long broadcast at 10 p.m. of local news and then a half hour recap at 11 p.m. Given the time I have to get up in the morning, I do watch the 10 p.m. news most nights.

soxxy
01-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Well not that I ever watched him before really but now I REALLY won't watch Leno. Letterman's been on fire lately anyway. And I hope the rumor is true & Letterman brings Conan on as a guest in a few weeks. That will be SPECTACULAR.

I watched Leno last night, and he seemed ever so slightly off his game. It's hard to explain. Small things, like when you're not giving something your full attention.