PDA

View Full Version : Jay Leno back to old timeslot?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16

laurenjm
01-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Bets on when the Tonight Show will be canceled outright?

Within the year would be my guess!

deltask8er
01-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Where do you get this from? So far I keep seeing this mostly coming from you and not anyone else. If you got it from an article please link it. Also a current article about the past isn't so trustworthy. He has reason to rewrite the past given all the controversy. I'm more interested in what he said at the time he quit the Tonight Show.

Leno keeping NBC up at night
'Tonight' host is said to be unhappy about his planned exit in 2009.
October 15, 2007|
Meg James, Times Staff Writer

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/oct/15/business/fi-leno15

As part of a high-stakes gambit engineered by NBC Universal executives three years ago, Leno agreed to step down in 2009 as "The Tonight Show" host to make room for Conan O'Brien. Afraid that O'Brien, whose talk show airs after Leno's, would bolt to a competing network, taking his desirable young audience with him, NBC locked up his services by promising him "The Tonight Show."

But as the date has drawn closer, Leno has become frustrated, reluctant to retire from late night.

"It's almost unprecedented in television for someone as successful as Jay has been to have his departure planned several years in advance," TV historian Tim Brooks said.

I found it in an archived thread from 2007:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53350

And Leno made a million jokes about being forced to leave his job before he wanted to.

Civic
01-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Call me an old fogey but I haven't been able to get into The Tonight Show since Johnny Carson retired. Neither Jay nor Conan measure up, imo.

pixie cut
01-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Call me an old fogey but I haven't been able to get into The Tonight Show since Johnny Carson retired. Neither Jay nor Conan measure up, imo.

Johnny Carson was an extraordinary host and force in the entertainment industry. But he retired in 1992 and died five years ago (two days ago marked the anniversary of his death). So we have to move on.

I don't think The Tonight Show will be cancelled. I don't think it will ever be what it was before Jay Leno was forced out, but it will eventually recover somewhat. In another two or three years, the search will go out to replace Leno. Maybe it will be Jimmy Fallon or maybe the time will finally be right for a woman. Chelsea Handler has slowly but surely built a fan base over at E! Not ready for the big time yet, but maybe by 2012.

deltask8er
01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Apparently one can spell 'irony' with NBC :lol: .

Conan O'Brien is getting "Justice" at NBC after all.

Days after the network severed ties with O'Brien as host of "The Tonight Show," it picked up an hourlong pilot from O'Brien's production company, Conaco [currently entitled 'Justice'].

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i9b1395cce9be0a2e482b5391dfe7e656

smurfy
01-29-2010, 01:52 AM
Did anyone see Jay being interviewed by Oprah. He seems a bit clueless to me. Not sure whether to believe what he said. I think he was and if so, he is a bit clueless, which is suprising. He said gigs on tv are not sure things. Excuse me, how many years were you on the Tonight Show? I think he does feel bad, but just not aware of how he fits into it.

numbers123
01-29-2010, 02:08 AM
I don't think The Tonight Show will be cancelled. I don't think it will ever be what it was before Jay Leno was forced out, but it will eventually recover somewhat. In another two or three years, the search will go out to replace Leno. Maybe it will be Jimmy Fallon or maybe the time will finally be right for a woman. Chelsea Handler has slowly but surely built a fan base over at E! Not ready for the big time yet, but maybe by 2012.

I agree that it will eventually recover not to the previous viewership level but it was NBC who made the error in judgement by forcing Leno out.

As much as I love Chelsea and would like her to be a host of a network late night show, she will have to clean up the vagina references a lot. DH can not stand to watch her because he finds her offensive and tells me that if a male comedian made references to his penis constantly I would not watch them. Jimmy Fallon has become more comfortable over the last couple of months, but at this time he is not strong enough to host the main show.

Chelsea would be a failure in the same sense that Conan was...prime time stage is not ready for her sense of humor.

smurfy
01-29-2010, 03:48 AM
Things have just changed so much in tv, something like the tonight show will never be what it was with Johnny.
I saw Ken Jennings, of Jeopardy Fame talk at a book signing when he had a book a few years ago. He said something that made so much sense. The changes in tv with the number of channels we do not have the common knowledge of back when there were only 3 main channels. The networks/channels need to find their niche, whether it is old/young etc, and people will seek out what they want. Some like Jay, some like Dave, some like Jon Stewart. Just lots of choices for us.

mag
01-29-2010, 05:05 AM
Things have just changed so much in tv, something like the tonight show will never be what it was with Johnny.
I saw Ken Jennings, of Jeopardy Fame talk at a book signing when he had a book a few years ago. He said something that made so much sense. The changes in tv with the number of channels we do not have the common knowledge of back when there were only 3 main channels. The networks/channels need to find their niche, whether it is old/young etc, and people will seek out what they want. Some like Jay, some like Dave, some like Jon Stewart. Just lots of choices for us.

I agree with this. Another huge change was the invention of the remote. Let's face it, it is easy to change the channel from the couch, especially when you add in the on screen guide. When you had to find the TV Guide and then get up and actually turn the knob you were more likely just to keep it on one channel. When I watch TV, but the end of one show I have the screen minimized in the corner to see the end of the program while I'm scrolling through the guide on the rest of the screen. I also use the "last" function to flick during commercials. Obviously I'm not a terribly loyal watcher.

deltask8er
01-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Did anyone see Jay being interviewed by Oprah. He seems a bit clueless to me.

Kimmel talked about it Thursday night, especially when Oprah asked about Kimmel's appearance on the Leno show (Kimmel said earlier "Oprah said my name! :cheer: " :lol: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujo9FRh8nf0

Allskate
01-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Kimmel talked about it Thursday night, especially when Oprah asked about Kimmel's appearance on the Leno show (Kimmel said earlier "Oprah said my name! :cheer: " :lol: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujo9FRh8nf0

I caught Kimmel. I think Jay should just do himself a favor and just STFU about this because playing victim is just going to get him more criticism. Claiming that Jimmy sucker-punched him was ridiculous, and he obviously should have known that Jimmy was not just going to shut up when Jay claimed he was sucker-punched.

Also, from some clips I saw, it seemslike Jay tried to pretend that he didn't know that Conan would be unhappy being moved to after midnight and that he didn't agree to go back to the Tonight Show until Conan was actually fired (although he has said things to contradict this.). Nobody is going to believe him and now he is coming across as not only selfish, but dishonest. And, really, if he was so worried about people keeping their jobs, he would have worried about all those Conan employees who just uprooted their families and all the people who lost their jobs when he took over the 10:00 spot all week on NBC. Dude needs to lay low during the Olympics and then start back to work without dredging up all this stuff that will just remind people that maybe Jay isn't such a nice guy.

Lacey
01-29-2010, 05:52 PM
I think I'll stick with Nightline and Kimmel.

Latte
01-30-2010, 02:44 PM
I really dislike Jay for this, and I think I am not alone.
He promises Conan the show for 5 years, gave it to him and then takes it back because his new show tanked? I am not a Conan fan, not a late night fan at all, but this smells to high heaven.
I hope no one watches Mr Spoiled Leno's show and he has to retire (again!) as a loser.
Can you tell I don't like what happened? Everyone has a opinion, and this is mine.:lynch:
Good luck Conan, I won't be watching(as I said, don't like comedians)
But you got a raw deal and good luck anyway.:encore:

PrincessLeppard
01-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Jay didn't promise Conan anything. NBC did.

kittyjake5
01-30-2010, 03:11 PM
I feel sorry for Conan and I do think he got shafted by NBC but (I am probably in the minority here) I am thrilled that Jay will be back on the Tonight Show. I have been watching Jay for years and I really enjoy his show.