PDA

View Full Version : Jay Leno back to old timeslot?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16

bobalina77
01-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Back in the early 1990's, NBC's ratings were a complete contrast to their position now -- with ratings going down each week (and their affiliates threatening to mutiny) they didn't have time to see if anyone would "get their groove back."

Yeah NBC had a good line up back then.. with Friends and ER and what not. I couldn't tell you what was on NBC now.. mind you I don't watch nearly as much TV as I did back then.

Anita18
01-21-2010, 10:43 PM
WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703699204575016514111492610.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLETopStories), Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60K30N20100121), and TMZ (http://www.tmz.com/category/conan-obrien/)are reporting that Leno will go back to the Tonight Show on March 1. Conan's last show will be tomorrow. NBC is going to pay Conan $32.5 million and his staff $12 million ("in fck-off money" according to AICN (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43711):rofl: )

Conan will be "free to pursue other opportunities" starting Sept. 1.

attyfan
01-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Nice deal.

pixie cut
01-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Yeah NBC had a good line up back then.. with Friends and ER and what not. I couldn't tell you what was on NBC now.. mind you I don't watch nearly as much TV as I did back then.

Friends didn't start until 1994, but NBC did have a good line up. Beyond that, the big three networks, ABC, NBC and CBS, were still dominant. FOX had not yet become a force. The smaller networks like Bravo, USA, A&E, etc. weren't really producing much original programming. Some, like AMC, didn't even exist. This was before HBO and Showtime began producing series like The Tudors, Curb Your Enthusiasm, United States of Tara, Californication, etc. Remember, Sex and the City debuted in 1998. So it was no big deal to give Jay Leno a year to settle in at The Tonight Show or give Conan O'Brien nearly three years to really catch on with Late Night.

Those days are over. Now it's do or die. Conan was supposed to hit the ground running at The Tonight Show, especially since his arrival had been hyped for five years. No time. Do it now. He didn't.

fenway2
01-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Those days are over. Now it's do or die. Conan was supposed to hit the ground running at The Tonight Show, especially since his arrival had been hyped for five years. No time. Do it now. He didn't.

The problem is, they're also rewarding the wrong guy - Jay Leno. The Tonight Show under Conan had a horrible lead-in due to the awful local news ratings. Why did their ratings drop? Because The Jay Leno Show tanked at 10. With such horrible prime time programming decisions on NBC, Conan didn't stand a chance.

pixie cut
01-22-2010, 12:58 AM
The problem is, they're also rewarding the wrong guy - Jay Leno. The Tonight Show under Conan had a horrible lead-in due to the awful local news ratings. Why did their ratings drop? Because The Jay Leno Show tanked at 10. With such horrible prime time programming decisions on NBC, Conan didn't stand a chance.

Conan was on the air for months before Leno's 10 PM show debuted. He tanked from day one.

fenway2
01-22-2010, 01:23 AM
Conan was on the air for months before Leno's 10 PM show debuted. He tanked from day one.

He didn't tank from day one. That's simply not true. He got very good ratings his first month or so. He had 3 months where he didn't have to follow Leno, 4 in which he had to follow Leno's disastrous show.

And you don't judge a guy based on 7 months of performance. Network television hasn't changed that much. In fact, most networks are trying creative marketing plans & scheduling techniques to balance the competition from other media outlets (namely the Internet) This is sheer laziness on NBC's part.

Allskate
01-22-2010, 01:29 AM

He didn't have a good lead-in from NBC over the summer, either. Also, what apparently triggered NBC to act was it's affilliates insisting that they stop with Leno's 10:00 show, not complaints over Conan's ratings. But, even if you focus on the late night ratings, I'm sure NBC knew when they entered into the original contract that Conan wasn't going to get the same ratings that Leno got. They made an agreement that kept Conan from going elsewhere and promised him The Tonight Show. Conan probably wishes he had struck a deal with ABC years ago, before Kimmel did. He really doesn't have any good options now. But, with all that cash, I'm sure he'll find a way to keep busy. :lol: I'm glad his staff is getting good severance packages.

pixie cut
01-22-2010, 02:44 AM
This is sheer laziness on NBC's part.

Not laziness. Lack of guts.

They gave neither man their support. If they believed fully in Leno, they should have let him keep The Tonight Show and let O'Brien walk. If they believed fully in O'Brien they should have handed him The Tonight Show and let Leno walk. They gave neither man their support. They played them both and used them both. Neither Leno nor O'Brien are at fault. I again point the finger at NBC's gutless leadership.

deltask8er
01-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Yes, however I read a WaPo article last week about how when Leno took over for Carson, the ratings dropped and stayed dropped for over a year until he could get the groove back. They didn't give Conan enough time to do the same.

Didn't Hugh Grant's "I'm sorry" appearance got Leno's Tonight Show in the groove? If Kanye West went on the Tonight Show instead of the Leno show last September, that could have catapulted O'Brien's show.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/14/kanye.west.leno/index.html

then again, maybe people are just tired of regularly watching late night talk shows in general :yawn:

Carmen Ovsiannikov
01-22-2010, 04:43 AM
Not laziness. Lack of guts.

They gave neither man their support. If they believed fully in Leno, they should have let him keep The Tonight Show and let O'Brien walk. If they believed fully in O'Brien they should have handed him The Tonight Show and let Leno walk. They gave neither man their support. They played them both and used them both. Neither Leno nor O'Brien are at fault. I again point the finger at NBC's gutless leadership.

:40beers:

I do not get why so many people are hating on Jay Leno when from what I can see it's the suits at NBC who are moving both him and O'Brien around like chess pieces. I feel like it's that mob mentality at work (not referring to the posters here but all the celebrities, news media sticking their noses in it) and everyone has to jump on O'Brien's bandwagon.

In all honestly I'm not all the crazy about either man and have preferred Letterman and Ferguson when I watch the late night talk shows. I just don't understand why all the slams against Leno when this whole mess wasn't his decision in the first place.

ilovepaydays
01-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Meanwhile........Leno to headline White House correspondents' dinner (http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/01/22/white.house.correspondents/index.html?hpt=T2)

pixie cut
01-22-2010, 02:48 PM
I just don't understand why all the slams against Leno when this whole mess wasn't his decision in the first place.

The sentiment seems to be that Leno should gracefully step aside. Why? He did a good job for 17 years. For like 15 of those years he was #1. Why would a guy who was #1 want to gracefully step aside? If NBC believed O'Brien was better they should have cut Leno loose and stood by their new horse. NBC panicked when it became clear Leno would leave The Tonight Show but he wouldn't retire. What's wrong with Leno wanting The Tonight Show back? He never wanted to leave in the first place? It was NBC's horrible decision to give him a 10 PM show.

What remains to be seen is if Leno can reestablish himself as host of The Tonight Show or whether too much damage has been done.

Note to people under 40, people don't necessarily want to retire as their 60th birthday approaches even if they're rich. Jay Leno loved to work. He never was going to ride off into the sunset. Mike Wallace worked until after the age of 90. As he said when he was finally leaving 60 Minutes (at the age of 92 I think), "I work. I don't have hobbies. Work is all I know and enjoy."

Satellitegirl
01-22-2010, 04:02 PM
As one comedian said...Leno was a legend in standup, then he got The Tonight Show and got stale, didn't do anything new.

Overall I blame NBC, but if Leno agreed to leave, he should have left. He could have done specials, more standup, etc.

Conan wasn't given a chance.

NBC is going to have to create a really killer show for me to ever watch their network again.

douchebags.

Oh well, I'm sure old people will be happy with Leno's return. He's such a nice young man. /snark

Lacey
01-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Did Conan and all of his staff move from NYC to Cal for this show? If so, I hope he and they are able to uproot their kids again and able to sell their houses if they end up back in NYC. Personally, I do agree that he has a more east coast rather than Hollywood vibe.