PDA

View Full Version : Jay Leno back to old timeslot?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16

Veronika
01-21-2010, 02:34 PM
It's done: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20338301,00.html?xid=rss-topheadlines&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+people%2Fheadlines+%28PEOPLE. com%3A+Top+Headlines%29

I'm still on Team Coco, I will probably never watch Jay Leno again.

pixie cut
01-21-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm still on Team Coco, I will probably never watch Jay Leno again.

I'm not on anyone's team except the team that says Jeff Zucker needs to be held accountable for this disaster.

I frankly find all of their monologues boring, but I'll watch whatever show has a guest that interests me.

Bostonfan
01-21-2010, 03:48 PM
In the case of this whole Conan O'Brien mess, I don't know why Leno is at any fault. He was number one. He was in that spot for years. Why should he have opened the door for O'Brien to take over his job? Why should he have quietly gone into the sunset. He's 59, not 79.

Because with five years left on his contract, he was ASKED to not renew and allow Conan to take over the Tonight Show and Jay AGREED. That's where his fault lies. All he had to do is say NO. "Look guys I'll be 59, not 79 and I love doing this, so I'd like to have my contract renewed and keep on hosting the Tonight Show". He may have been temporarily painted as someone who doesn't know when to leave the party, but it would have died down and Conan would have been free to stay where he was and wait some more or look for other alternatives.

Although I do agree Zucker is primarily at fault. I'm glad he's having to pay Conan MILLIONS to correct the situation.

pixie cut
01-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Although I do agree Zucker is primarily at fault.

Leno made it clear he didn't want to leave The Tonight Show unless his ratings were slipping, but Zucker made it clear they wanted to give the spot to O'Brien. I blame Zucker for not standing by that decision. If you wanted O'Brien so badly as host of The Tonight Show, let Leno go off and take whatever opportunities exist for him. Leno agreed to leave The Tonight Show. He never agreed to leave television. If Zucker and the rest of the idiotic NBC brass believed in O'Brien so much, they should have let Leno leave the network. Instead, they set up this ridiculous 10 PM show for Leno.

I personally believe O'Brien would not have succeeded on The Tonight Show. He's an edgy East Coast guy. He is made for 12:30. He doesn't have the Hollywood, 11:30 vibe. It took him three years to hit his stride on Late Night. NBC couldn't give him that kind of time for The Tonight Show.

They had to take a stand and make a choice and no one could do that. In the end, everyone loses.

Synnabun
01-21-2010, 04:22 PM
You have to wonder just why no one at NBC thought of putting Jay's show on after Conan? Really?? I think that would have been much more acceptable than ousting O'Brien and his huge staff. Maybe Jay wouldn't agree to it? Oh well.

smurfy
01-21-2010, 05:30 PM
I agree that Zucker/NBC are to blame. But the things I have read that Leno has said/done do not impress me. Like said before - he did not have to retire. To me Conan was in the worst position, and had no control. That is why I like his letter - he was not being boxed in and took control.
So next time you leave a job, fail at the new, you can bump out your replacement. Sadly I know that to be true in certain work environments in the US and not at NBC.

Allskate
01-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Leno made it clear he didn't want to leave The Tonight Show unless his ratings were slipping, but Zucker made it clear they wanted to give the spot to O'Brien. I blame Zucker for not standing by that decision. If you wanted O'Brien so badly as host of The Tonight Show, let Leno go off and take whatever opportunities exist for him. Leno agreed to leave The Tonight Show. He never agreed to leave television. If Zucker and the rest of the idiotic NBC brass believed in O'Brien so much, they should have let Leno leave the network. Instead, they set up this ridiculous 10 PM show for Leno.

It's not that they believed in Conan that much. It's that they didn't want Conan going elsewhere at 11:30 and they wanted to keep him at 12:30 The agreement with Conan and Jay kept Conan from keeping against Jay for years. Would Conan have beat out Jay at 11:30. That's doubtful, especially if he were not at ABC. But, he would have sucked viewers away from Jay.
Yes, NBC is the primary one to blame, but that doesn't mean that Jay isn't too blame, too. He could have said no back then and he could have said no this time around. He benefitted from the agreement back then and he's going to benefit right now. It's just that people are getting a little more insight into his character which isn't making him happy.

ArtisticFan
01-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Jeff Z. is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, which is getting to be more and more evident. NBC obviously made a mistake 5 years ago and made another one now.

I actually have admired the way that Jay has handled himself during all the bashing. Conan hasn't impressed me much with the ongoing comments. Yes, I know that Conan is upset and feels that he was taken for a ride. However, I find the ongoing animosity to be a bit childish and counter productive. If that's how he wants to go out, that's fine. I know that not everyone will agree.

Maybe I'm biased because I have never found Conan's performance value to be up to a level that I liked. I prefer him more as a writer.

pixie cut
01-21-2010, 06:06 PM
I agree that Zucker/NBC are to blame. But the things I have read that Leno has said/done do not impress me. Like said before - he did not have to retire. To me Conan was in the worst position, and had no control. That is why I like his letter - he was not being boxed in and took control.
So next time you leave a job, fail at the new, you can bump out your replacement. Sadly I know that to be true in certain work environments in the US and not at NBC.

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't think Leno ever had an option back in 2004 to say, "I'm not leaving The Tonight Show." He was told, "We are giving Conan O'Brien The Tonight Show in 2009."

I tend to think Jay Leno would have had no problem being scooped up by another network. He was #1 for years. It's NBC who sought to keep him and created this ridiculous 10 PM show for him. I suppose he could have said no, but why would he when money was on the table.

Conan O'Brien was not succeeding as host of The Tonight Show. Ratings dropped the day he took over. I never believed he'd succeed in that job. He doesn't have the right vibe to be Hollywood. He is made for a later spot, where his edgy quality can be maximized. He is a watered down version of himself at 11:30.

I think NBC should have kept Leno as host of The Tonight Show and let O'Brien try his luck at another network. In lieu of that, I think NBC should have made O'Brien host of the Tonight Show and stood by him 100% and let Jay Leno go wherever he wanted.

Their panic-driven desperation to keep both is the reason for this mess.

Veronika
01-21-2010, 07:01 PM
I love me some Conan, but I never had a good feeling about him taking over the Tonight Show. I don't think his humor is for everyone--but the same could be said about Letterman, and he's doing pretty well these days (ratings-wise.) I never thought things would turn out like this for Conan.

I hope Coco gets a shot at Fox, and we can stop worrying about this mess.

orbitz
01-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Why is Conan called "Coco" ? Everytime I hear the name Coco, I immediately think that Courtney Cox and David Arquette's daughter is all grown up and is in show business :lol:.

manleywoman
01-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Conan O'Brien was not succeeding as host of The Tonight Show. Ratings dropped the day he took over.

Yes, however I read a WaPo article last week about how when Leno took over for Carson, the ratings dropped and stayed dropped for over a year until he could get the groove back. They didn't give Conan enough time to do the same.

Veronika
01-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Why is Conan called "Coco" ? Everytime I hear the name Coco, I immediately think that Courtney Cox and David Arquette's daughter is all grown up and is in show business :lol:.

I can't view videos right now, but this article may help explain:
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/03/conan-obrien-style-humor-debuts-on-conan-obrien-show/

skatingfan5
01-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Yes, however I read a WaPo article last week about how when Leno took over for Carson, the ratings dropped and stayed dropped for over a year until he could get the groove back. They didn't give Conan enough time to do the same.Back in the early 1990's, NBC's ratings were a complete contrast to their position now -- with ratings going down each week (and their affiliates threatening to mutiny) they didn't have time to see if anyone would "get their groove back."

bobalina77
01-21-2010, 07:49 PM
The ability to shout ACTION with every commerical break, every other minute, all the promos..

ACTION NEWS, ACTION WEATHER, ACTION SPORTS with no actual ACTION by the newscasters?

Aha.. makes sense :lol: