PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

sk8er1964
01-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Yikes, those retards. :yikes: :scream: Very sheltered life.

What is this quote indicating too? :confused:

It's in the articke that sk9tingfan posted.

igniculus
01-14-2010, 09:47 PM
It's in the articke that sk9tingfan posted.

I know, I just didn't understood it. (language barrier, probably... :slinkaway)

moby23c
01-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Woah. That ESPN discussion is seriously off. With all this figure skating and ahem... "pure overt marxist crap," propagandizing me, I almost forgot that there were people this myopic and insecure left in the world. It's sad. Especially because some of the biggest homophobes I've encountered are gay themselves.

Willowway
01-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Re: the NY Times article this morning

Is there any article about Johnny's career trajectory which doesn't feature a scene with him dissolved in tears of self-pity? Thank goodness for his mother who, according to the article, told him to (in my words) pull his pantyhose up and get on with it if he didn't want deep regrets later in life. At least he heard her.

The aspect of this that I find curious (and mystifying) is that all of these tear-y stories come from Johnny himself. Is he proud of his lack of internal fortitude? I'm answering my own question here but I think he confuses emotional fragility with artistic sensibility - you don't have to be an emotional mess to be a great artist (not to mention athlete). Actually, creating consistently takes a lot of strength, fortitude and inner steel. He's a talented athlete and it's sad that self-pity keeps tripping him up.

Willowway

Shallwedance
01-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Who says he lacks internal fortitude? I think a lot of skaters probably go through mini and major crisis but they suck it up - i.e., don't share. Weir articulates his -that's how he is. I think internal fortitude is when you weather this stuff and come out the other side, because everybody goes through it. Everybody has gotten a boost from a coach, a parent, a sibling or mentor who has told them to pull up their pantyhose, or if you throw in the towel now you'll have regrets. Weir is, as he says, an open book about a lot of stuff and that's the only difference between his internal fortitude and the internal fortitude of many other skaters.

Willowway
01-15-2010, 03:19 PM
You may be right. I just don't see it, after all these years, that way. I agree that an open book approach may give us more info that we get about anyone else (and maybe more than we need). But I really do sense that he descends into self-pity too easily and too often (the open book shows us that too) to be a consistent champion. As I said, it's too bad- he's a talented skater.

Willowway

Shallwedance
01-15-2010, 04:10 PM
I don't read self-pity, he's just talking about the saga of his life. I think the conclusion that it's self-pity is subjective, and that's okay. He also is like an observer of his own foibles, which is something I appreciate. He knows his own psychological weak points and doesn't shy away from pointing them out. He pretty much owns his results and the pattern of his career to date.

I've read many dramatic, wrenching, crisis-of-the-soul type stories from current Olympic-eligible figure skaters, especially in the pairs discipline. Johnny Weir just happens to be interviewed about a trillion times more frequently than those pairs skaters, or other skaters that have been through exactly what he has been through. But nobody wants to give them a book contract or do a profile (or several) on them in the NY Times, EPSN or other major news outlets. Just because we get a lot more exposure to Weir's experiences, attitudes and personality doesn't make him particularly more of anything than the others, including not more self-pitying.

HisWeirness
01-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Following Jeremy Abbott this last year or two through his fansite/facebook/twitter I've observed that he also has shared alot about his personal struggles, "ups and downs," etc. I think a lot of skaters (and everybody, skater or not) go through crises, but skaters like Johnny and Jeremy have an outlet and audience for their personal experiences. Some choose to share, and others do not.

I personally find the stories of their struggles and how they overcome them to be very inspiring.

Frau Muller
01-15-2010, 04:20 PM
From the TV Guide article, a classic Johnny quote:

“I’m not a desperate housewife; I’m not some rich socialite moving to Arkansas to milk cows..."

ROTFL!!!!!

Willowway
01-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Just to clarify, in the article it says that his mom called it "feeling sorry for yourself" ergo self-pity. That's where I got it.

Being an older and I hope an intentionally self-observant person, I think there is a difference between seeing and dealing with your foibles (we all should) and indulging them. But he is, I must remind myself, very young in terms of years lived and I hope that one day (and maybe this weekend if skating fans are fortunate) he will not be largely defined by those foibles (something he does to himself). Maybe this time is the charm, who knows.

Willowway

Wyliefan
01-15-2010, 04:49 PM
^ That NY Times blog/article is snarky! :eek: :lol: :watch:

Nice kid, smart, too, but how many times can one listen to stories about advanced placement courses? The eyes glaze over like Zambonied ice.

All right, 'fess up, which FSU member wrote this piece?? I've read that exact sentiment here a hundred times! (Sorry for the OT.)

Allskate
01-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all the links!

I'm getting so nervous for tonight. I really want Johnny to make the team. I wish the U.S. men had another spot for the Olympics.

Shallwedance
01-15-2010, 07:06 PM
What I'm trying to say is I don't think it's chronic. His mom thought he got into a funk and she roused him out of it. I don't think self-pity or feeling sorry for himself particularly characterizes Johnny or distinguishes him from other figure skaters, that's the point I'm making.

I don't want to get into a semantic thing here, I just think this started when you were saying you were tiring of a theme of self-pity running through his interviews and books, and I was disagreeing that the theme was really present. I'm sure he's had his moments, I just don't think they're a running theme, if I read your original remarks right.

igniculus
01-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Oh my. Yet another promo for Be Good Johnny Weir:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhO-eruh6b8

:wideeyes: :eek: :swoon: :grope: :saint:

HisWeirness
01-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Oh my. Yet another promo for Be Good Johnny Weir:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhO-eruh6b8

:wideeyes: :eek: :swoon: :grope: :saint:

OMG. That is like a sparkly snippet from my dreams! :swoon: :saint:

Lurve Johnny in the gold outfit!!! Whee!!!! :biggrinbo