PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67

Prancer
05-03-2010, 08:27 PM
:D And didn't I look fabulous?

Subtle and understated, but fabulous for sure.

rfisher
05-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Quite a number of people have made livings and a name for themselves (like the aforementioned Joan Rivers) doing just that and nothing else. I can definitely see Johnny going down that path, but first he's got to stop about the "me me me." :lol:

Joan Rivers has spend decades in the business, starting as a stand up comic and as a comedy writer. The runway stuff is only lately with the advent of more entertainment type award shows. Apart from JR who has indeed paid her dues, most celebrities who have no real talent (singing, dancing, comedy writing) have a very short shelf life. Being OTT doesn't keep you in show biz very long unless you're ultra rich. Weir isn't. He's doing everything he can to keep doing the cable TV talk show rounds and keep his name on the Internet. The problem is, he'll become so yesterday by tomorrow. The fact he's doing these things is an indication that he'll keep desperately seeking that ethereal fame.

Jenny
05-03-2010, 08:30 PM
I wonder if this will be the article that generates another 35 posts to close down the thread?

from People: Johnny's New Goal: To Sing at the VMAs (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20365915,00.html)

Some focus might help Johnny get ahead, and an attitude change. Not caring if he fails? That results in few second chances, and after awhile, no chances at all.

And frankly, I think entertainers *should* care if they fail. If they expect me to buy a ticket or otherwise support them, then they have to come through with their end of the bargain.

overedge
05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Perhaps that's because he doesn't seem to be doing, or talking about doing, anything else.

And when he does talk about doing anything, it seems to change every few days, which makes him look flighty and incapable of committing to work on anything seriously. Yes, he's exploring his post-skating options, and I'm guessing his manager is trying to position him as multitalented, but a constant stream of "Whee! I'm going to write a book! Whee! Now I'm going to make a record! Whee! Now I'm going to go to fashion school!" doesn't help his public image. IMHO it would be much better for the long run for him to focus on one thing (not just his general fabulousness) and to have all his PR and appearances focused around that.

ETA: And apparently he hasn't noticed that most people who get to perform at the VMAs are serious recording artists with something of a track record of successful songs. Not self-admitted 15-minutes-of-famers.

TalentedButHumble
05-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Eliza Doolittleish, isnīt? Just you wait, Johnny Weiry, just you wait...:rofl:

C'mon Dover, c'mon Dover - MOVE YOUR BLOOMIN' ARSE.

And wouldn't the song be: "Just you wyte, Evan Lysacek, just you wyte?"
Holy crap, I could write a whole musical around Johnny as Eliza.

"All I want is a reality show,
Record deal and lots of dough ..."

[/MyFairLadyGeek]

TalentedButHumble
05-03-2010, 09:02 PM
It's hard to get college scholarships when one is an older male student. Most merit based ones are restricted to high-school seniors applying (and those tend to be very competitive).

You apply to a college, you go to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov, you see what combinations of loans, grants and scholarships might be available to you. Plenty of people of all ages go back to school to pursue 2nd (or 3rd) careers and are doing so with financial aid. I work at a college part-time and I've never heard of a gap in aid for people between ages 21 and 30.

agalisgv
05-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I didn't say financial aid wasn't available. I said getting merit-based scholarships is hard if you are attending college for the first time in your twenties and took a significant break after high school. For one, I don't think test scores would still be valid for Weir at this point.

Loans are always an option, but scholarships are more difficult to come by.

RockTheTassel
05-03-2010, 09:57 PM
For one, I don't think test scores would still be valid for Weir at this point.

I'm not so sure about that. I have a friend who went through a very difficult period after high school and ended up flunking out of community college. At age twenty-four, she turned things around and applied to some fairly competitive colleges, using her high school ACT scores. She got accepted to several good schools and received a good deal of grant money from the one she chose to attend.

Not saying it would be the same for Johnny, but it is possible if his test scores are good. If he mentions that he delayed college in order to pursue competitive skating, that might also help him.

agalisgv
05-03-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm not so sure about that. I have a friend who went through a very difficult period after high school and ended up flunking out of community college. Test scores are valid for five years. Weir's scores would be past that.

It's also easier if someone has attended at least some college rather than applying for the first time.

Anyhow, Weir could go to college if he wanted. Community colleges would certainly be a low cost option. But he hasn't expressed any serious interest in doing so, and he hasn't expressed in career goals that would require a college degree. Since he doesn't seem to be working towards an academic goal, I would suspect that's not high on his agenda.

Anita18
05-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Joan Rivers has spend decades in the business, starting as a stand up comic and as a comedy writer. The runway stuff is only lately with the advent of more entertainment type award shows. Apart from JR who has indeed paid her dues, most celebrities who have no real talent (singing, dancing, comedy writing) have a very short shelf life. Being OTT doesn't keep you in show biz very long unless you're ultra rich. Weir isn't. He's doing everything he can to keep doing the cable TV talk show rounds and keep his name on the Internet. The problem is, he'll become so yesterday by tomorrow. The fact he's doing these things is an indication that he'll keep desperately seeking that ethereal fame.
Well there's also Ryan Seacreast, Mario Lopez, Olivia Munn, Cat Deeley, and Maria Menounos. I actually have no idea if they've "paid their dues" like Joan has, but they're most famous now for being TV presenters.

Southpaw
05-03-2010, 10:34 PM
They don't build 'em like Bob Hope anymore.

wickedwitch
05-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Well there's also Ryan Seacreast, Mario Lopez, Olivia Munn, Cat Deeley, and Maria Menounos. I actually have no idea if they've "paid their dues" like Joan has, but they're most famous now for being TV presenters.
Lopez was an actor first, and I'd be surprised if he was more famous for being a TV presenter than Saved By the Bell.

Prancer
05-03-2010, 11:14 PM

I don't know about the ladies there, but Ryan Seacrest got his start in radio when he was in high school and first made his name there; he still has two nationally syndicated radio shows and he produces several TV shows.

Mario Lopez has been acting since he was about 10 years old and has been in at least two series, if not more. He's also written a couple of books about fitness.

None of that means Johnny can't be a host, just that those two didn't suddenly start hosting work.

RockTheTassel
05-04-2010, 12:08 AM
According to this article from People magazine (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20365915,00.html), Johnny knows his fame is not long-lasting:

"People talk about how trashy it is to use 15 minutes of fame, but I'm trying to pursue all of this in a professional way and do the best I can," says Weir. "I don' t care if I fail. I just have fun trying to do these things."

It's good that he acknowledges that the fame is temporary, though the "professional" part made me eyeroll. :rolleyes:

jlai
05-04-2010, 12:13 AM
I believe Johnny said on his show that he couldn't sew.

Sometimes a career option sounds alluring but once you really look into it you realize you can't stand the the stuff day in day out. I used to dream about being a lawyer but one business law course in college and I realized that reading court opinions made me :scream:

I think with Johnny the issue is getting too used to the attention and needing someone to help him focus. If he can get over the two issues he can find an option easily enough. He is good at languages and I can see him teaching Russian one day or something. He can study in Russia and Japan, do some ice shows, coaching, etc.
Or he can stay where he is and try choreographing and help Marakova and other skaters with their elements and doing some occasional ice shows.

But I can totally see him competing against Evan for the same gigs (shows, commentating, etc.) for years to come. Expect the rivalry to continue.

I'm still :wall: I can't make a living out of being a skating fan. :P