PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67

Prancer
05-03-2010, 06:19 PM
I understand Johnny's diehard fans caring, but why does anyone else care? Skaters move on and live their lives, I don't ever recall this kind of teeth gnashing about what a skater was going to do after his/her competitve career.

A lot of skaters already have their post-skating lives pretty well mapped out, though.

I care because I think it's interesting to see how people handle celebrity and how they manage when it fades. I think it's interesting to see where people end up in their lives after the fame is gone and how they deal with that. Some, for example, never recover from losing the limelight; others milk their moment for as long as they can, and still others kind of shrug, say it was great while it lasted and move on. What makes a person one way versus another?

Johnny is at an interesting place to me because he still has his measure of fame, but he either has to find a way to keep himself in the limelight or move on to something else. So far, he is focusing on keeping himself famous and it's working, but it seems to me that it won't work for much longer. What then?

BlueRidge
05-03-2010, 06:22 PM
...Could he take an office job? Sure. It wouldn't be skilled labor and likely not well-paying. But it would be a job. Does anyone think he desires such a job one iota? I doubt it. ...

Well neither do I, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Given that, except for coaching, there is no lifetime opportunity in skating, I don't see a skater even one as successful as Johnny, as any different than any of the rest of us, when his skating career is over.

You work for what you want you might get it, but there's no reason you deserve it just because you were talented at something that can't provide a living for you. I'd guess a lot of successful athletes face this in their lives, given that few sports allow one to compete throughout one's lifespan.

jlai
05-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Can he draw and sew? if he does he can start trying to design some costumes while he attends FIT

genevieve
05-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Don't most skaters go into other lines of work and end up being just like the rest of us after their skating careers are over? Is that such a terrible fate?
Well, I think it is, even for the rest of us :lol:

Prancer
05-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Can he draw and sew? if he does he can start trying to design some costumes while he attends FIT

He talked to FIT and took a tour; to the best of my knowledge, he has neither applied nor been accepted.

BlueRidge
05-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Well, I think it is, even for the rest of us :lol:

yes well the world is full of shit boring jobs. I guess I'm not sympathetic to the notion that just because someone was a figure skater its just. not. fair. that they have to suffer like all the rest of us. Even if they win the Olympic gold medal, you know what? If you have to get a job, get a job.

Sparks
05-03-2010, 06:47 PM
I believe Johnny said on his show that he couldn't sew.

Southpaw
05-03-2010, 06:52 PM
He can always go enroll in a sewing class at Rutherford Adult School to get his sewing mojo working if that's what he wants out of his life. It ain't FIT, but it's a start and it's pretty cheap. Certainly cheaper than Learn to Skate group lessons.

jlai
05-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Yeah at least he will find out if he even likes that kinda thing

Nan
05-03-2010, 07:41 PM
I wasn't on the internet until the 2002 Olympics and the first skater I was interested in knowing anything about (other than the skating) was Yagudin. What impressed me most is that he repeated over and over in interviews that his mother insisted he study and get good grades and be prepared for the day he would no longer be skating. Even as he was winning his Olympic medal, he was looking forward to what he would do once it was over.

Too many athletes don't look to the end of their career and make preparations for when it happens. Johnny has possibly not done this, or thought he could exist as a "personality" the rest of his life. Fashion seems to be his one big love, if he's that interested in it, why not look in that direction?

Anita18
05-03-2010, 07:48 PM
He did the Joan Rivers-type of thing for a Hollywood event with a blue carpet instead of a red carpet.
Quite a number of people have made livings and a name for themselves (like the aforementioned Joan Rivers) doing just that and nothing else. I can definitely see Johnny going down that path, but first he's got to stop about the "me me me." :lol:

BlueRidge
05-03-2010, 07:50 PM
People keep talking about Johnny as though they know he is trying to pursue a career as a celebrity. As if the reason he gets a fabulous hat and goes to the Derby is because he is pursuing a career in that. Has it occurred to folks that he's doing a lot of these things because right now he has the opportunity to, and he enjoys going to parties and hanging out with the beautiful people? Not because he is trying to make a living at it? :shuffle:

Wyliefan
05-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Maybe he would like to coach. He's done some coaching on a small scale, hasn't he? Working with groups of kids or something like that?

Nan
05-03-2010, 07:53 PM
People keep talking about Johnny as though they know he is trying to pursue a career as a celebrity.

Perhaps that's because he doesn't seem to be doing, or talking about doing, anything else.

BlueRidge
05-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Perhaps that's because he doesn't seem to be doing, or talking about doing, anything else.

Well I don't talk about anything else but figure skating a lot of the time, but that doesn't mean I think I can make my living being a fan. god damn it! :lol: