PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67

Wyliefan
05-03-2010, 01:37 PM
But going to things like the Kentucky Derby and appearing on random talk shows probably enhances his chances of getting commentator gigs in the future.

Not if he keeps saying the things he's been saying on those talk shows. It probably lessens his chances.

Being famous for being famous isn't much of a lasting career option, and that seems to be the path he's pursuing. I very much doubt that Chelsea or Wendy or any of the other hosts who want him on right now knows, or cares about, the difference between an axel and a spin. They want controversy. But controversy only keeps you going for so long.

agalisgv
05-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Not if he keeps saying the things he's been saying on those talk shows. It probably lessens his chances. Like I said, I don't applaud what he's been saying of late. OTOH, he was asked to do Worlds commentary after the whole SOI brouhaha. And former skaters Weiss and Goebel, both of whom have expressed a desire to get into skating commentary in the past and have kept clean profiles since they turned pro, were not asked to do commentary.

Just sayin'

Nan
05-03-2010, 02:45 PM
A little less than seventy posts and this thread closes, right? I'm fairly sure that with some people saying the same things over and over again, it won't take that long. ;)

Willowway
05-03-2010, 02:54 PM
And former skaters Weiss and Goebel, both of whom have expressed a desire to get into skating commentary in the past and have kept clean profiles since they turned pro, were not asked to do commentary.

BTW, Weiss did commentary on Universal and I thought he did a nice job. He talked about the skating and only the skating; he was knowledgable and helpful to the viewer.

Iceman
05-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Sadly, Johnny has become one of those oddities the media keeps bombarding the public with and it is has little to do with whatever his sexual orientation might be. His time as a competitive skater has passed him by. Another talent which never quite managed to fulfill
its promise.

REO
05-03-2010, 04:00 PM
A little less than seventy posts and this thread closes, right? I'm fairly sure that with some people saying the same things over and over again, it won't take that long. ;)

We can only hope. Seventy seems like a mile right now.

Carolla5501
05-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Am I the only person who thinks.. Universal probably does NOT pay very well. I mean it's a low budget production. The "commentators" are in LA or someplace while the "event" is in Italy. I don't know that commentating on Universal sports is going to pay many bills for anyone!

Prancer
05-03-2010, 05:09 PM
So again, what options does he have with his present set of talents and abilities?

That is, to me, the interesting question about Johnny. He's in a really unique spot at the moment, where he has several opportunities because he is "that skater," but those opportunities are ephemeral, not least because without SOI, his skating opportunities are really limited. He has to do what he can to make the most of them; I don't get why some think he should do something more "worthy" of his talents, because he has to play the cards he has, not the cards people think he should have.

I think he needs some kind of steady, reliable work. I saw his blue carpet bit on Sundance and I thought he did that pretty well; I could see him doing something like that. But he needs something that he can count on doing regularly for a while.

Wyliefan
05-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I think he needs some kind of steady, reliable work. I saw his blue carpet bit on Sundance and I thought he did that pretty well; I could see him doing something like that. But he needs something that he can count on doing regularly for a while.

When you get right down to it, I think that's what we're all getting at.

LadyNit
05-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Prancer, or yoe else, what is a "blue carpet" bit? Is that a reference to modeling?

tarotx
05-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Most of Us just want more for Johnny then a 3rd rate D-lister and we fear that is where he's headed if he doesn't find a way to hush his mouth a little.

I personally hope he does continue to compete-at least for a year. I believe if he fully commits to skating he could be National champion again. I want to continue to see Johnny skate non full out Lady Gaga and competing is the best chance of that happening. He just has so much he could give the sport if he focus on skating. There has been too much Diva drama in his life the last four years.

BlueRidge
05-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Don't most skaters go into other lines of work and end up being just like the rest of us after their skating careers are over? Is that such a terrible fate?

You know you get a job working in an office or a store or something, maybe take classes, move up to something better, get on with your life?

Prancer
05-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Prancer, or yoe else, what is a "blue carpet" bit?

He did the Joan Rivers-type of thing for a Hollywood event with a blue carpet instead of a red carpet.

Most of Us just want more for Johnny then a 3rd rate D-lister and we fear that is where he's headed if he doesn't find a way to hush his mouth a little.

I can understand that, but Johnny is the one who has to want something else.

BlueRidge
05-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I understand Johnny's diehard fans caring, but why does anyone else care? Skaters move on and live their lives, I don't ever recall this kind of teeth gnashing about what a skater was going to do after his/her competitve career.

agalisgv
05-03-2010, 06:10 PM
To be fair, I don't recall offhand any other skater making such a fuss every time they felt they got passed over in their post-skating aims. I think Weir has very limited options available to him compared to what he would like to do, and I think he expresses that frustration very publicly to his fans. This gets his fans all angsty because basically he is too.

Could he take an office job? Sure. It wouldn't be skilled labor and likely not well-paying. But it would be a job. Does anyone think he desires such a job one iota? I doubt it. He likes glitz and glamor and wants a job that epitomizes that. But such jobs are difficult to come by--see Tara and her acting career.