PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67

rfisher
05-03-2010, 01:06 AM
That's not what she meant and you know it. The "world" is sure as heck not Kentucky. What did you think, that he was such a superstar he'd eclipse the winning horse and jockey in the news? Good lord.

Well, then, where is the "world"? The world in Louisville didn't notice him. What world did? Bizarro World? Weir World? :saint:

REO
05-03-2010, 01:18 AM
lol yes Weirworld. There have been lots of websites and Emags and blogs with pix an blurbs about him and his big hat. He was at that fancy party the night before and there are pix from Getty Images and other places of him on the red carpet. He's not a member of Brangelina, but he makes his imprint.

overedge
05-03-2010, 01:55 AM
lol yes Weirworld. There have been lots of websites and Emags and blogs with pix an blurbs about him and his big hat.

I hate to break it to you, but that does not represent the world paying attention to him.

Wyliefan
05-03-2010, 02:04 AM
This sentiment has been expressed by several people, but I wonder what else exactly should Weir be doing now? I think everyone agrees he's done with competitive skating. He can't skate with SOI. So how is he supposed to be using his talents to make a decent living?

I guess he could coach, but that's not likely to make him much money any time soon. He could tour in Europe and Asia, but again that's not likely to bring him all that much money. And while he's skates over there, his name sinks into oblivion over here. So what are his options?

To me it seems he's doing what he can to try and earn a living post-skating. And considering he didn't medal in Vancouver, his options are fairly limited. Since he doesn't seem academically inclined, that means he has precious few real life skills at this point. So he's using the one thing he does have--a little bit of name recognition. I just don't see how else his talents and ability could translate to earning a living.

We know he could be a commentator. He's already done it and done well.

tarotx
05-03-2010, 02:05 AM
I have no issue with Johnny doing this stuff now as long as this isn't the goal but a means to an end. Perhaps getting sponsors for a Weir skating tour or money for FIT. His mouth is another story altogether though imo.

agalisgv
05-03-2010, 02:31 AM
We know he could be a commentator. He's already done it and done well. True, but his chances of getting such a job go up if he keeps up his public profile.

That doesn't mean I applaud his recent comments or all the controversy he tries to stoke with SOI. But going to things like the Kentucky Derby and appearing on random talk shows probably enhances his chances of getting commentator gigs in the future.

That said, skating commentating isn't something a person can really make a living on given how sparse the actual work is. So again, what options does he have with his present set of talents and abilities? People bash Paris Hilton, but she gets paid $100,000 just to show up at a party. Weir should be so lucky (and likely will never enjoy that level of success).

People have to make a living somehow.

Marco
05-03-2010, 03:01 AM
In 1994, it was Kurt Browning singling his double axel in the SP after missing the flip that prevented two Canadian men on the Olympic podium. Given that Browning and Stojko had been 1-2 in the world the year before and went 2-3 in the long program at the Olympics, I have no doubt the judges panel would have had both in medal position if they had merited it.

Maybe it's just me but if Browning, Petrenko and Boitano were all in medal contention after the sp I doubt Stojko would get a second mark over 5.6 even with the quad and would probably be whining similarly to what Weir is doing now.

Marco
05-03-2010, 03:28 AM
Since when did he skate clean? He missed a spin. Sigh. Journalists.

He messed up the change of foot part but covered it well. He had planned a level 4 change sit but got credited a level 3 sit spin instead so it wasn't a total disaster. I think he lost about 1.5 points in total for that 'mistake'.

Just IMO, Lysacek's 3axel technique and quality warranted higher negative GOE.

mysticchic
05-03-2010, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the video!
I think he looks fab in this hat ! Especially at this (http://pics.livejournal.com/kalliopeia/pic/000bwypf) photos (http://pics.livejournal.com/kalliopeia/pic/000bz7ex) :glamor: :swoon:

It's the Hamburglar!! http://photobucket.com/images/hamburglar/

REO
05-03-2010, 04:12 AM
I hate to break it to you, but that does not represent the world paying attention to him.

Geez you're so literal. Believe me the thousands of peeps on his facebook and twitter followers are looking for those pix and articles and tons of them are from all around the world. It just meant that he gets noticed. Not that he's as well known as Obama. :wall:

judiz
05-03-2010, 07:47 AM
He messed up the change of foot part but covered it well. He had planned a level 4 change sit but got credited a level 3 sit spin instead so it wasn't a total disaster. I think he lost about 1.5 points in total for that 'mistake'.

Just IMO, Lysacek's 3axel technique and quality warranted higher negative GOE.

He messed up the spin after his blade got caught in a rut on the ice, look at the video and you can see it happen. Johnny stared down at the ice afterwards and the commentator even said it appeared his blade hit a rut in the ice. Don't see how you can blame Johnny for that. At least Johnny stayed on his feet unlike other higher placed competitiors who were human zambonis during their skates.

Marco
05-03-2010, 08:13 AM
He messed up the spin after his blade got caught in a rut on the ice, look at the video and you can see it happen. Johnny stared down at the ice afterwards and the commentator even said it appeared his blade hit a rut in the ice. Don't see how you can blame Johnny for that. At least Johnny stayed on his feet unlike other higher placed competitiors who were human zambonis during their skates.

I didn't.

Japanfan
05-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Maybe it's just me but if Browning, Petrenko and Boitano were all in medal contention after the sp I doubt Stojko would get a second mark over 5.6 even with the quad and would probably be whining similarly to what Weir is doing now.

Stojko didn't land the quad in Lillehammer.

Japanfan
05-03-2010, 10:07 AM
At least Johnny stayed on his feet unlike other higher placed competitiors who were human zambonis during their skates.

By "human zamboni" I assume you refer to Lambiel and Chan, maybe Takahashi? The term is not appropriate for any of the three.

Johnny stayed his feet but his program it is easier to stay on your feet with an easier program, and Johnny's was easier than Lambiel, Chan and Takahashi.

And Johnny hasn't focused on making CoP-worthy programs.

How convenient for him to blame it on politics and present himself as a skater who wuzrobbed and won't ever be fairly rewarded. And a good excuse to competition as well.

IMO Johnny simply doesn't want to do the work he needs to do to stay at the top. He's getting the (bottomless) attention he wants and the lifestyle he craves. Good for him I suppose, but I find Johnny the pop star to be rather tiresome and silly. I certainly won't buy his book and have bought some skating books in hardcover when they first come out. It will likely be a work of bubble-brained fluff that celebrates narcissism and salivates over the empty world of socialize glitter.

Possibly mildly amusing with some fun anecdotes from the skating word. Maybe I'll take it out from the library at some point, but I certainly won't pay for it.

RebeccaCP
05-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Women wear hats at the Derby. Trust me he was noticed and it would not have been "good" He was in Kentucky, amoung a basically conservative group.... There's a time and place for everything something he fails to understand.

Both sexes have worn hats at the Derby, certainly the ones I've attended. No, I did not attend this year. Perhaps the entire scene has changed in just one short year, but it's unlikely, based on the photos online.

Tell me why I'm supposed to trust you that "he was noticed" besides the fact that there are photos of him (and many other A-F list celebrities)? Your implication is that being noticed in conservative Kentucky is this is a bad thing. Why would a bit of attention be a bad thing at the Derby, which can be media-whore central with better hats? Not every bloody thing in Kentucky is conservative. If a guy wants to wear a hat and Channel in early May to a horse race, the Derby, IS a "time and a place" to do so. What exactly did Johnny, and a lot of the other men wearing hats, etc., fail to understand?