PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

REO
04-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Who are "the fans"?

In this context, I think you mean the subset of skating fans who already considered Weir one of their favorite skaters, on and/or off the ice, plus any reality show fans who were intrigued by his show and tuned in (or traveled) to watch actual skating on TV (or live) to check him out doing his sport.

To the extent that that rewarded Weir and his fans and also brought in some new fans, that's great for skating.

But to the extent that this show or other media coverage of Weir as a personality shows a one-sided or even distorted view of the skating world, making skating (US or international rules and officials, SOI, etc.) look bad just to make Weir look good, that's not so good for skating.

Meanwhile there are plenty of skating fans for whom Weir was not a favorite (nor necessarily Lysacek either), who may never have tuned into his show, and who continue to enjoy skating as a whole with Weir just one of many competitors in the men's event. Your characterization of "the fans" above leaves out more skating fans than it includes.

Yes that is correct except that I was talking about the fans that were there before the documentary or the tv show were even filmed and why he was selected to be the main focus of the documentary. Certainly since the show premiered there have been people who never gave skating a second thought and know nothing about it who have become Johnny fans. I guess it does give skating a new visibility but I imagine if Johnny retires there will be very few new fans for skating without him. The people who loved skating for itself and Johnny secondly will find a new favorite to root for.
As for making skating PTB look bad, I have to agree also but they bring that on themselves to a great extent. There's lots of Mickey Mouse stuff that goes on behind the beautiful scenes. I actually think he's been pretty closed mouthed about it on the show. At least for Johnny lol. Again I don't think it will make a bit of difference to people who love the sport for itself. Look at any sport. There are the "good boys" and the "bad boys" but if they both play the game successfully people watch the sport and both have their fans who love them for whatever type they are. If figure skating could get over itself and handle it's people more like sportmen instead of little princesses and princes maybe more mainstream people would get onboard. It worked for tennis. That used to be a buttoned up sport. Now it's extremely popular with all sorts of people but it took some Jimmy Connors and John MacEnroes to bring in the masses. JMO

gkelly
04-29-2010, 07:52 PM
So basically, you're using the phrase "the fans" to refer to Johnny fans, not skating fans.

There is some overlap of course, but perhaps not as much as I originally thought you were talking about.

query5
04-29-2010, 08:46 PM
johnny and his fans wonder why he isn't family friendly--amazing.

figure skting fans know johnny and evan came out and stated they didn't like each other-whatever made the people/fans think is different amazes me.
i was wondering how long it took before either johnny or evan said something offensive. what a whole two months --wow. (sorry--snippy)

i do think johnny and evan should prublicly apologize to each and since both represents the best of USFSA the USFSA should set it up because they end of making themselves as well as the USFSA look bad not to mention, sport, SOI and whatever.
but at the same time because skating isn't getting the buzz , i am wondering if it wasn't done to create buzz for the sport/evan, johnny and soi.
the old stand bye-controversy is good for the sport no matter who it hurts.
sorry just a winp out on all fronts, skaters, soi tour, usfsa, isu, ioc, usoc .
shows care more about money and publicity than anything else.

Allskate
04-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Don't care how much this pisses off the Johnny ubers, but Evan is right. Johnny hasn't come close to resembling "the best of the best" for several years.

Evan was wrong when he said Johnny wasn't invited to skate with SOI because SOI was reserved for the best of the best. Anyone who thinks that every skater invited to appear in SOI this season has a better record than Johnny is in denial, even if you count only this season. (Does anyone really think that Ashley and E&L have shown better than Johnny that they are the best of the best with their hardware collection? Did Steven Cousins?) Whatever valid reason people think exists for not inviting Johnny, it's pretty darn obvious that it's not because of the level of his skating or his hardware. When this is the best excuse Evan can come up with for why Johnny wasn't invited to do any of the SOI shows, you know that Evan is being both dishonest and petty. Johnny's response wasn't the most articulate or classy, but that doesn't change the fact that Evan was dishonest and unkind in his comments and he's not doing himself or SOI any favors. He showed a total lack of class, honesty, and sportsmanship.

attyfan
04-29-2010, 11:18 PM
I didn't think Evan's comments were all that bad, as SOI tries to keep a balance between the men, the ladies and the teams (pairs/dance). Many of the ladies who have more impressive hardware collections than certain SOI skaters are not touring, but the men they have hired (for the most part) have more hardware -- or at least more recent hardware than does Johnny.

I agree that Evan should have just said, "I don't know; I don't do the hiring." However, I don't like Johnny's comments. Skaters do not have a right to be asked to skate for SOI -- and Johnny's remarks about why he isn't asked (or about why he doesn't have an Oly medal) do not strike me as honest or sportsmanlike, either -- and this is without the comments about Evan.

IceJunkie
04-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Yeah, Evan was a jerk, but I don't think that trumps calling someone a slut/whore combo. :shuffle:

tarotx
04-29-2010, 11:30 PM
How was Evan being a jerk in that quote? Sure it was B!tchy but he was just answering a question. It was pretty similar to 90% of what Johnny says about other skaters.

rfisher
04-29-2010, 11:32 PM
I find anybody who takes this seriously very amusing. :watch: More figure skating trash talk :cheer2:

jlai
04-30-2010, 12:17 AM
More figure skating trash talk :cheer2:

About time to make figure skating more like other sports. :cheer:

REO
04-30-2010, 05:03 AM
How was Evan being a jerk in that quote? Sure it was B!tchy but he was just answering a question. It was pretty similar to 90% of what Johnny says about other skaters.

Such as?

KayMil01
04-30-2010, 05:15 AM
Ok I read through all these comments, and I can't seem to find where it says Evan's recent comment about Johnny...

Cheylana
04-30-2010, 05:39 AM
Not always. I've personally witnessed some less than stellar/mature behavior on his part. It changed my opinion of him.
Examples?

Cheylana
04-30-2010, 06:01 AM

Such as?
He recently called Patrick Chan overrated, said he didn't connect with his audience and had "starfish hands."

Jaana
04-30-2010, 08:22 AM
figure skting fans know johnny and evan came out and stated they didn't like each other-whatever made the people/fans think is different amazes me.

As far as I remember just a while ago it was only Weir who came out stated that he does not like Lysacek...

Jaana
04-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Yes. Like Stephen Cousins, Michael Weiss, Jennifer Robinson, Mirai, Alissa, Ashley, Rachael, etc. do, ;) Nearly every member of this year's American Olympic team was invited to do some SOI shows.

And Evan's comments went beyond the silly "best" comment. There are times when Evan is on his best good PR behavior and there are times when he definitely is not. These different episodes do give conflicting views of him.

I thnk that the question/answer was about SOI male skaters. With the exception of Abbott (who is the current US champion though and has a connection to SOI via his coach Yuka Sato) all the other male skaters have more hardware than Weir. Michael Weiss is a two-time World bronze medalist, Eldredge a World champion and of course Lysacek himself the reigning OG medalist and a World champion.

Steven Cousins was a golf buddy and a close friend of Scott Hamilton. That is the explanation why he was invited. Besides I guess they got him very cheap, LOL.