PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Garden Kitty
04-29-2010, 12:55 AM
I'm a big fan of skating in Canada, but being the highest ranked Canadian lady was about par with Amber Corwin at times. I still don't understand how J.Ro made it to the US tour. I'm told she's entertaining, so there's that.

There really weren't any "star" US women to headline and the show wanted more women to balance the cast. On the tour, she did some fun numbers, did a lot of work in group numbers and sort of "hosting" segments. She was a good "utility" skater, who by all accounts got along well with everyone on the show and very easy to work with. I always enjoyed seeing her in the show and the audiences always seemed to like her.

Sparks
04-29-2010, 12:58 AM
^^^ I agree. JRo was a nice addition to SOI when I saw her.
"Utility skater" is a perfect way to describe her.

kwanfan1818
04-29-2010, 01:11 AM
The first year (at least) she was on SOI, she did 3Lz. She became comfortable with the microphone early, and she was able to put audience members at ease and deal with anything they back up with, which wasn't always on script or even on topic.

Jennifer Robinson was a pro in the best sense :respec: and I hope she's able to come back (if she wants) post baby.

Yazmeen
04-29-2010, 01:36 AM
Don't care how much this pisses off the Johnny ubers, but Evan is right. Johnny hasn't come close to resembling "the best of the best" for several years. He has totally let his addiction to celebrity overshadow his skating. He fell apart with his histrionics at the Olympics in 2006 and has never recovered. His formerly breathtaking programs became uninteresting at best and often messy, and somehow his very intelligent brain never cognated that "combos = points, especially in the 2nd half of the program." His Russian shtick became a borefest a long time ago, and he has pretty much just concentrated on being a superstar instead of being a superstar skater.

You can throw Alissa up as an example of SOI unfairness if you like, but for all her faults, her heart is in skating and she is a good soldier to work with and she has is a far more recent national champion than Johnny. Johnny goes out of his way to attract attention for everything but his skating and then complains that he is discriminated against as a skater. But of course, I must remember, this makes him "refreshing" and so adorable according to his fans. Let's cut the crap alreadly. Johnny doesn't give a damn about SOI and cares very little for anything else besides attention to himself. I can imagine how many times Evan has been questioned about Johnny and SOI, and hell, good for him for finally telling it like he feels it is. What really burns me is that I used to adore Johnny, the exquisite skater with quiet edges and so much soul. That person doesn't exist anymore, now we have the Johnny Weir show, a skating version of "Jersey Shore," which is really pathetic. Guess he'll ride this to the bank as long as he can.

jlai
04-29-2010, 01:41 AM
Johnny addresses Evan's comments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGdNmAsQ1A)

I didn't know what 'slore' meant so I searched on urban dictionary.

I learned a new "word" today. :lol:

REO
04-29-2010, 04:37 AM
So if people say something you don't like, instead of honestly engaging with it, you mock it with ridiculous exaggerations?

Do you think everyone who says something you don't like is pompous? Why can you only mock and sneer? Why don't you try to consider other's points of view?

Who are you anyway? What are your feelings? Why does Johnny matter to you? Why not engage?

Most of the people here are actually not the shitheads you apparently think we are.

Honey you're getting so riled up about this! My post was meant to be humorous. If you ask me this whole topic is nothing BUT ridiculous exaggerations. Nor am I the only one who sneers and gets sarcastic. That is the bread and butter around here. My post was meant to say that the Johnny ubers think Evan is the devil incarnate and the Evan ubers think Johnny is not worth the life of the cow that made up his skates. I imagine the truth lies somewhere in between. I do prefer Johnny to Evan for alot of reasons but I don't think Johnny is faultless. What he said on the Williams show was was classless. I think from his latest tweet he regrets it. He was flip about it but if anyone really thinks he's going to be all apologetic and beat his chest with remorse they don't know Johnny. lol Besides he was provoked. What Evan said was downright nasty and mean. If you spent most of your life working hard toward skating at a level of achievement and then your biggest rival said you were unworthy to skate in SHOWS, not competitions, but crappy old shows you might get angry and hurt to the point where you would say something mean right back. Childish but human.

Finally, I never said or implied that anyone on this board was a shithead! (Are we even allowed to say that on here?!) If you think I meant that in any reply toward your comments or anyone else's you are greatly mistaken. Everyone is allowed their opinion. It's just that mine is better because it's mine. :lol: I would bet you think the same. ;)

REO
04-29-2010, 05:10 AM
Don't care how much this pisses off the Johnny ubers, but Evan is right. Johnny hasn't come close to resembling "the best of the best" for several years. He has totally let his addiction to celebrity overshadow his skating. He fell apart with his histrionics at the Olympics in 2006 and has never recovered. His formerly breathtaking programs became uninteresting at best and often messy, and somehow his very intelligent brain never cognated that "combos = points, especially in the 2nd half of the program." His Russian shtick became a borefest a long time ago, and he has pretty much just concentrated on being a superstar instead of being a superstar skater.

You can throw Alissa up as an example of SOI unfairness if you like, but for all her faults, her heart is in skating and she is a good soldier to work with and she has is a far more recent national champion than Johnny. Johnny goes out of his way to attract attention for everything but his skating and then complains that he is discriminated against as a skater. But of course, I must remember, this makes him "refreshing" and so adorable according to his fans. Let's cut the crap alreadly. Johnny doesn't give a damn about SOI and cares very little for anything else besides attention to himself. I can imagine how many times Evan has been questioned about Johnny and SOI, and hell, good for him for finally telling it like he feels it is. What really burns me is that I used to adore Johnny, the exquisite skater with quiet edges and so much soul. That person doesn't exist anymore, now we have the Johnny Weir show, a skating version of "Jersey Shore," which is really pathetic. Guess he'll ride this to the bank as long as he can.

I agree with some of what you said but not all. Evan was wrong in what he said. Johnny as recently as two years ago was the top ranked American. As far as his "addiction" to celebrity, goes this also has only been an "issue" since this past year because of his movie and the following tv show and his popularity at the Olympics. The movie was originally supposed to be about skating as a whole. The film makers noticed who the press and the fans gravitated to and that's how Johnny alone became the focus of the movie. It was the media who named him "refreshing" and adorable. The fans just agreed. :lol: Why should he not ride these current opportunites to the bank? He has to live. SOI doesn't want him. I don't know how old you are but I don't know many 25 year olds who if they were offered to be in a movie or have their own tv show would turn it down. How is it different from Dancing with the Stars?
I do agree that Johnny changed after Torino. I think he got a chip on his shoulder because of the way he was treated by the press and the public after he failed to medal. It hardened him up and made him a tad cynical.
Totally agree about Alissa. However she seems to be accorded consideration he doesn't get. Why is she a heroine who loves skating and just doesn't have the hardware to show for all her hard work but Johnny is a loser because he doesn't have the hardware to show for his hard work? Last season he had GP silver GPF bronze and National bronze and was named to the Olympic team. How is that not current success?
As for your personal opinions of what he cares about or thinks, I don't know how you got into his head but I wish you'd tell me. It seems like a fantastic ability to have. Like being a fly on the wall! So fun.
And finally as to Evan being asked about Johnny so many times. I suspect you may be correct about that. I think he feels it that no matter how many medals he wins he just doesn't get those fan numbers or the media love that Johnny gets. I guess the Federation giveth but the peeps taketh away. I'm sure when he gets his own tv show he'll be less snotty. ;)

RockTheTassel
04-29-2010, 05:18 AM
Honey you're getting so riled up about this! My post was meant to be humorous. If you ask me this whole topic is nothing BUT ridiculous exaggerations. Nor am I the only one who sneers and gets sarcastic. That is the bread and butter around here. My post was meant to say that the Johnny ubers think Evan is the devil incarnate and the Evan ubers think Johnny is not worth the life of the cow that made up his skates. I imagine the truth lies somewhere in between. I do prefer Johnny to Evan for alot of reasons but I don't think Johnny is faultless. What he said on the Williams show was was classless. I think from his latest tweet he regrets it. He was flip about it but if anyone really thinks he's going to be all apologetic and beat his chest with remorse they don't know Johnny. lol Besides he was provoked. What Evan said was downright nasty and mean. If you spent most of your life working hard toward skating at a level of achievement and then your biggest rival said you were unworthy to skate in SHOWS, not competitions, but crappy old shows you might get angry and hurt to the point where you would say something mean right back. Childish but human.

This post, exactly.

Johnny's response to what Evan said was fine, up until the "slore" comment. That was middle school behavior. :rolleyes:

antmanb
04-29-2010, 09:51 AM
You know what? As a gay person I'm sick to death of Johnny's schtick. And when it started to include playing to talk show hosts who use titillating people over homosexuality to get an audience and make money, it really went too far for me.

I support anyone's right not to come out, but when you spend your time playing games over sexual orientation in order to further your career, so that it comes off as something that is appropriate for people to be voyeuristic about? Then you are hurting me and setting us all back.

I'm sick of it.

And I'm sick of the subset of Johnny fans and their homophobic comments about Evan.

So yeah, I'm feeling very, very uncomfortable that this is swirling around my favorite sport. Johnny needs to quit using sexual orientation as a come on and a thing to create interest in himself. Come out or don't. But quit playing along with the idea that homosexuality is a fun entertainment for straight people. :angryfire

:respec: :respec:

Couldn't agree more!

Ant

BlueRidge
04-29-2010, 11:45 AM

Finally, I never said or implied that anyone on this board was a shithead! (Are we even allowed to say that on here?!) If you think I meant that in any reply toward your comments or anyone else's you are greatly mistaken. Everyone is allowed their opinion. It's just that mine is better because it's mine. :lol: I would bet you think the same. ;)

Yeah I know you didn't call anyone a shithead, but that's how if felt at that moment to me. I just wanted to hear more from you on this than just a post making fun of it all. Thanks for responding. I don't disagree with anything you've said in this post and I appreciate hearing it.

Kwantumleap
04-29-2010, 03:00 PM
It'd be good if they both admitted their wrongs and apologized before this gets any uglier.

gkelly
04-29-2010, 03:09 PM
The movie was originally supposed to be about skating as a whole. The film makers noticed who the press and the fans gravitated to and that's how Johnny alone became the focus of the movie. It was the media who named him "refreshing" and adorable. The fans just agreed.

Who are "the fans"?

In this context, I think you mean the subset of skating fans who already considered Weir one of their favorite skaters, on and/or off the ice, plus any reality show fans who were intrigued by his show and tuned in (or traveled) to watch actual skating on TV (or live) to check him out doing his sport.

To the extent that that rewarded Weir and his fans and also brought in some new fans, that's great for skating.

But to the extent that this show or other media coverage of Weir as a personality shows a one-sided or even distorted view of the skating world, making skating (US or international rules and officials, SOI, etc.) look bad just to make Weir look good, that's not so good for skating.

Meanwhile there are plenty of skating fans for whom Weir was not a favorite (nor necessarily Lysacek either), who may never have tuned into his show, and who continue to enjoy skating as a whole with Weir just one of many competitors in the men's event. Your characterization of "the fans" above leaves out more skating fans than it includes.

Wyliefan
04-29-2010, 03:18 PM
It'd be good if they both admitted their wrongs and apologized before this gets any uglier.

It would be great. I don't know how likely it is, but we can hope. Stranger things have happened.

Willowway
04-29-2010, 03:24 PM
But to the extent that this show or other media coverage of Weir as a personality shows a one-sided or even distorted view of the skating world, making skating (US or international rules and officials, SOI, etc.) look bad just to make Weir look good, that's not so good for skating.

I think that Johnny's antics, on and off his show, make skating into more of a punchline than ever in the eyes of the general public.

The skating he started to do earlier in his career was a contribution to skating; his recent behavior and his show doesn't promote or advance anything but JW's aspirations as a celebrity.

I was noticing this morning the wonderful words from Elton John about Ryan White (there was a memorial concert last night) who died 15 years ago. Many of you remember the story; if you don't, it's worth knowing about. I've included a link to the Huffington Post coverage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/29/elton-john-ryan-white-tur_n_556502.html

If Johnny is going to emulate Elton (and he often talks about him), I hope he is looking at the substance of the man. THAT is worth emulating - seeing a need, taking action, putting yourself out there (really out there in a meaningful way) for someone else. And Elton says that Ryan White who died at the age of 18 from AIDS changed Elton's life too. EJ says he got clean and sober because of that brave boy. Ryan's dignity in his illness and Elton's dignity in how he got involved and what he did...that's a story worth noting. It puts prancing around in front of a camera in your underwear into perspective.

Nan
04-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Whole post.

:respec: