PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

BlueRidge
04-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Maybe Johnny playing along with the homophobic games that media hosts play regarding Evan's sexual orientation actually has had some consequences.

I'm surprised to see Evan lashed out, but I'm not surprised with the shit that gets thrown around by Johnny's supposed admirers who are so fcucked up about homosexuality they can't deal with Evan being who he is.

Eyre
04-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Evan's comment about Johnny was a little mean, but not as mean as Johnny's wink.;)

BlueRidge
04-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Evan's comment about Johnny was a little mean, but not as mean as Johnny's wink.;)

Evan should have kept his mouth shut and his comments are just wrong; Johnny is the best of the best among skaters. But if he's fcucking pissed with the taunting and shit, its hardly surprising.

BlueRidge
04-28-2010, 02:33 PM
And btw Johnny is no non-conformist. His whole act comes out a particular playbook as if he feels the need to follow a script about everything. If he's happy doing that that's what he should do. But non-conformist? My ass.

I suppose people think Lady GaGa is a non-conformist too. :rolleyes:

azskatefan
04-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Emily Hughes and Denney/Barrett aren't exactly the most decorated skaters ever. Evan's argument doesn't hold up, IMO and makes him sound kind of douchy, but Johnny had it coming with all the sh!t he talked about Evan.

Exactly. I think Evan could have handled that question with more class but Johnny has been bashing him and his primary source of income for sometime now. It's classless in both respects but it's not that uncalled for I guess. It is disappointing. Does nothing for the sport. Does nothing to make either one look better either.

I find it interesting how in making his best of the best remark, Evan forgot how many times Johnny stood next to him on the podium and how many times Johnny stood on a higher step then Evan on the podium.

I guess it was so long ago that Johnny stood above him (was the last time 2008?), that he just can't remember. He's blinded by the shine of his Olympic Gold Medal. ;) I am not sure that Johnny is the "best of the best" anymore (to me that should only be like three or four people0 but he's good, it just hasn't been recently IMO. Maybe Evan feels Alissa shouldn't be there either but no one asked him. As for the others mentioned throughout this thread, they're guest stars, appearing for audiences close to their support bases.

I think the real reason that Johnny is not on the show has nothing to do with his skating but more of his attitude. Based on some of the things he does on his own show, he's not exactly the poster child for wholesome either. It might not be fair but Smucker's has the right to use the people they want. I sometimes do wonder if Johnny was ever in negotiations to join but pulled some crap like a super high appearance fee. I don't buy the gay thing because there are gay men on that tour.

iarispiralllyof
04-28-2010, 03:58 PM
I can't believe anyone thinks any of Johnny's comments measure up to what Evan said.

Please. They've both said dumb things in the past about each other but it was usually ambiguous and they were still respectful. I'm not sure how Evan could have insulted Johnny more as an athlete. You don't raise yourself up by putting others down, in fact I respected Evan for his responses to Plushenko's immature rants and now he basically went down the same road.

I could care less about the true reason behind Johnny not being invited to Stars on Ice. What's certain is they didn't hire him even when he was national champion (and this is before all the media brouhaha about his fur wearing or low placements or anything). Despite his extremely recent placements, publically saying that he's basically not talented enough is a classless, cold move and far beyond some wink (which shouldn't even be that offensive to begin with). He's your fellow sportsmate. Jesus. It's even sadder when they've known each other for so long, competed together for so long, and were apparently even friends at one point a long long time ago.

If Johnny might deserve any criticism it might - just MIGHT- be for his public persona, I can understand why some ppl might be rubbed the wrong way by it. But to attack his athletic ability while elevating yourself at the same time?

REO
04-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Maybe Johnny playing along with the homophobic games that media hosts play regarding Evan's sexual orientation actually has had some consequences.

I'm surprised to see Evan lashed out, but I'm not surprised with the shit that gets thrown around by Johnny's supposed admirers who are so fcucked up about homosexuality they can't deal with Evan being who he is.

LOL Feeling uncomfy are we?

iarispiralllyof
04-28-2010, 04:13 PM
And btw Johnny is no non-conformist. His whole act comes out a particular playbook as if he feels the need to follow a script about everything. If he's happy doing that that's what he should do. But non-conformist? My ass.

I suppose people think Lady GaGa is a non-conformist too. :rolleyes:

This is arguable. People with over the top types of personalities will often be accused of being fake or putting up an act. Maybe to an extent they are. It is true that no matter how "original" or non-conformist some people try peg themselves as, they usually almost always end up as a stereotype anyway - just not the same stereotype as the person they peg to be "normal" or "conformist".

either way, a lady gaga or johnny weir are still less "safe" - if that's the right word, as opposed to someone like evan.

personally, although I don't agree with what Evan said, I've never bought Johnny's comparison of himself as the non-conformist to Evan's conformist. They're just different people. Evan can express himself the way he chooses. I just think it's funny because even though Evan's Vera Wang costumes may be (slightly) more understated than Johnny's costumes, they are hardly the paradigm of the masculine conformist red blooded American male that people try to paint Evan as, in comparison with Weir. They're both more alike than they think.

azskatefan
04-28-2010, 04:15 PM
What's certain is they didn't hire him even when he was national champion (and this is before all the media brouhaha about his fur wearing or low placements or anything).

Well, to be fair, Stars on Ice was a fall/winter tour during that time so he would have had to stop competing to tour with SOI while he was the national champion. He was on the summer tour, Champions on Ice.

BlueRidge
04-28-2010, 04:18 PM
LOL Feeling uncomfy are we?

You know what? As a gay person I'm sick to death of Johnny's schtick. And when it started to include playing to talk show hosts who use titillating people over homosexuality to get an audience and make money, it really went too far for me.

I support anyone's right not to come out, but when you spend your time playing games over sexual orientation in order to further your career, so that it comes off as something that is appropriate for people to be voyeuristic about? Then you are hurting me and setting us all back.

I'm sick of it.

And I'm sick of the subset of Johnny fans and their homophobic comments about Evan.

So yeah, I'm feeling very, very uncomfortable that this is swirling around my favorite sport. Johnny needs to quit using sexual orientation as a come on and a thing to create interest in himself. Come out or don't. But quit playing along with the idea that homosexuality is a fun entertainment for straight people. :angryfire

azskatefan
04-28-2010, 04:21 PM
So yeah, I'm feeling very, very uncomfortable that this is swirling around my favorite sport. Johnny needs to quit using sexual orientation as a come on and a thing to create interest in himself. Come out or don't. But quit playing along with the idea that homosexuality is a fun entertainment for straight people. :angryfire
Agreed!

Bostonfan
04-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Well, to be fair, Stars on Ice was a fall/winter tour during that time so he would have had to stop competing to tour with SOI while he was the national champion. He was on the summer tour, Champions on Ice.

Plus the addition of "eligible skaters" to SOI is a recent trend just in the last 4 years. Johnny's titles came during a different time.

iarispiralllyof
04-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Johnny's entire record should speak for itself. He still consistently placed on the podium at nationals besides one year in the recent past. I should clarify - I'm just getting all of this from his competition chronology on wikipedia, I actually didn't even follow him until very recently lol. I don't even know all of the rules surrounding eligibility and Stars on Ice. And again, I never said I necessarily agreed with the issue of Stars on Ice being homophobic, I'm reading now that they hired Brian Orser, so it seems unlikely. It does seem possible they just don't like Johnny, the person. To imply he is not talented enough for it is out of line.

Can I ask what kind of homophobic comments are made about Evan from Johnny fans? lol

taylorfax
04-28-2010, 04:27 PM
I could care less about the true reason behind Johnny not being invited to Stars on Ice... publically saying that he's basically not talented enough is a classless move

Ita. His response is completely tacky from start to finish.

BlueRidge
04-28-2010, 04:29 PM
...Can I ask what kind of homophobic comments are made about Evan from Johnny fans? lol

All the comments about him not being masculine "hahaha." People constantly are making posts that seem to think they are taunting Evan about his not being masculine. And all the "Oh sure he's dating Tanith (or Nastia) comments." There's a "hahaha I know he's really a faggot" undertone that is sickening. This is straight up homophobia. Evan is a figure skater, whatever his sexual orientation, he isn't masculine in the NASCAR mode. Yet there is always a poster ready to make fun of that.

On the school yard that would be considered anti-gay bullying. And it doesn't matter whether the person who is the target of it is gay or straight. It still is.