PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
04-27-2010, 10:54 PM
aha! but if the disney contract was signed in march 98, that was after the olympics - which means the whole expected gold medalist/actual silver medalist issue didn't factor in~

Um, she wasn't the actual silver medalist at that point?

I think there would be a bigger audience for skating to Lady Gaga than to classical or show music.

I am positive there is a bigger audience for skaters skating popular programs to popular music than there is for arteeeeeeeestes and I think the theory that Johnny doesn't get a tour overseas because he isn't artistic enough is :lol:. I suspect Johnny doesn't particularly want to tour overseas, but the mere fact that he is invited to make guest appearances means that he is artistic enough for tours.

Johnny clearly loves pop culture, so he is probably enjoying all the offers he's getting. People keep saying he should do something else, but if fashion and the celebrity life appeal to him, then it seems to me that everything coming his way is a natural fit for him. It's just not skating, but without SOI, his skating opportunities are limited.

iarispiralllyof
04-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Um, she wasn't the silver medalist at that point?

my response partially concerns this initial quote:

What can I say? I don't remember any Kwan Michelle Skates to the Music of Disney's Mulan," back in 1998 when she was the expected gold/actual silver Olympic medalist.

Were there any others?

which I thought insinuated that Michelle got the Disney special due to being the expected gold medalist, when in actuality she became the silver medalist. that's why I emphasized the loooong even though a few months isn't long :lol: in order to show that she would've gotten the disney special regardless of getting the silver medal

Prancer
04-27-2010, 11:29 PM
which I thought insinuated that Michelle got the Disney special due to being the expected gold medalist, when in actuality she became the silver medalist. that's why I emphasized the loooong even though a few months isn't long :lol: in order to show that she would've gotten the disney special regardless of getting the silver medal

My point was that she got the special because a) she was the expected gold medalist and b)she was the actual silver medalist. The winter Olympics ended February 22nd; she signed her contract with Disney March 9 (15 days later). The contract was already drawn up in anticipation of her being the gold medalist, but Disney decided to go ahead with it even though she won the silver.

Had she not won a medal, do you think that contract would have gone through?

Johnny is a former national champion, a World Bronze medalist and an Olympic team member, and doesn't have a big, muscular sponsor like Disney backing him. There's Sundance, but it's a cable channel with a relatively tiny audience and BGJW isn't even its top show. Even in 1998, Michelle had a better resume--and a bigger audience.

Now maybe Louis Vuitton or some company like that will sponsor a special for Johnny; that would certainly help him out. But he needs a sponsor.

Wyliefan
04-27-2010, 11:32 PM
I am positive there is a bigger audience for skaters skating popular programs to popular music than there is for arteeeeeeeestes and I think the theory that Johnny doesn't get a tour overseas because he isn't artistic enough is :lol:.

The thing that I don't get about Johnny is that he seems to think that skating to popular music, and sometimes elevator music, makes him arteeeeeeeestic. I never could figure out his thinking on that one.

Sparks
04-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Just write Johnny and tell him about all your concerns and ideas.
I'm sure he will be relieved to have so much unsolicited advice.

P.S. I know some people who didn't even know who Johnny was before the Olympics and now they are HUGE fans...:slinkaway
He's done pretty well for a non-Olympic medalist. No one else can say the same at this point...

iarispiralllyof
04-28-2010, 12:11 AM
The thing that I don't get about Johnny is that he seems to think that skating to popular music, and sometimes elevator music, makes him arteeeeeeeestic. I never could figure out his thinking on that one.

I'm not that big of a johnny fan (although I think he's very talented and entertaining as a personality) but I always figured his artistic programs weren't the ones you were speaking of. however his skating to pop music like lady gaga is rather supposed to cater to the flamboyant aspect of his personality. there have been gay and flamboyant skaters before but none who really "cashed" in on that market the way johnny has in the past year (or perhaps in the past america wasn't yet ready for it). I agree with ppl who say that he now has a sizable amount of fans who weren't into skating before (and generally aren't now besides following johnny), and they are largely liberal young people, including gay guys and the girls that love them.

there is a stereotype that gay men, while often loving pop music divas like lady gaga, also love the arts - from things like ballet to figure skating and classical music. he's just playing to the dual aspects of that..although he hasn't actually openly and out said that he was gay.

his artistic programs are the ones like swan and fallen angels, not poker face..although that has obviously left a larger mark on ppl outside the figure skating world

however having said that - it is true that his fame is going to eventually dissipate and questions here about the newfound "paris hilton" type of fame vs more lasting fame are valid..but so what? even michelle kwan, a superstar in figure skating (whom I adore) is really only a minor star in the general world. johnny will have his good run and at the end of the day he'll still have left a mark quite larger than his competitive victories might lead one to believe.

edit: I'm taking a look at his program list now on wikipedia and there's barely any elevator music, save (arguably) for one or two. there's an eclectic mix of classical, some jazz and standards.

iarispiralllyof
04-28-2010, 12:18 AM
My point was that she got the special because a) she was the expected gold medalist and b)she was the actual silver medalist. The winter Olympics ended February 22nd; she signed her contract with Disney March 9 (15 days later). The contract was already drawn up in anticipation of her being the gold medalist, but Disney decided to go ahead with it even though she won the silver.

Had she not won a medal, do you think that contract would have gone through?

In that case I'd agree with you. Basically I think regardless of her silver medal her popularity was such that Disney still thought she deserved the special.

REO
04-28-2010, 04:38 AM
Regarding the clothing designing, he already has limited items for sale in Korea. I don't agree that his programs are not artistic. Only his exhibitions are not to serious music. How is Lady Gaga different than Michael Jackson? She's just more current. Not everyone may like his selections but tastes are individual. I rather like that he gives upandcoming musicians a shot rather than always skating to the old war horses.

I read that Nancy Kerrigan recorded a song and even skated to it a couple of times! Does anyone remember that? I sure didn't. Does anyone know if there's a vid around?

Prancer
04-28-2010, 04:50 AM
I read that Nancy Kerrigan recorded a song and even skated to it a couple of times! Does anyone remember that? I sure didn't. Does anyone know if there's a vid around?

I actually do remember the song, although that might not be a good thing. I don't remember her skating to it but that obviously doesn't mean anything.

There's a clip of it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Reflections-off-Ice-Tribute-Skating/dp/B000040OCS

iarispiralllyof
04-28-2010, 04:57 AM
wow. after reading evan's comments towards johnny recently, I'm finding myself more on Johnny's side after all =/

ArtisticFan
04-28-2010, 04:58 AM

I know that it was one of the pro shows - maybe one of Kristi's? I think it was around 2002ish.

REO
04-28-2010, 05:45 AM
wow. after reading evan's comments towards johnny recently, I think I'll have to count myself as a johnny fan after all =/

Such as?

Thanks Prancer and ArtisticFan!

iarispiralllyof
04-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Such as?

Thanks Prancer and ArtisticFan!

http://indianapolis.metromix.com/events/article/q-and-a-with/1911540/content

a quote from Evan's interview:

Fellow American Olympic skater Johnny Weir has said he feels snubbed by “Stars on Ice” because his sexual orientation wasn’t “family-friendly enough.” Thoughts?
“Stars on Ice” is really selective of who they hire and they only hire the best of the best to skate. It would’ve been hard of them to justify hiring him, and I think he was really upset because he wanted the financial benefit of the tour. A lot of us in the skating world were really disappointed in the way he reacted, basically whining that he wasn’t chosen.

I don't necessarily think Stars on Ice didn't hire Johnny due to his sexual orientation, but I have a problem with what Evan is insinuating about Johnny as an athlete here (I bolded that part of the quote). It's arrogant and harsh.

Kwantumleap
04-28-2010, 06:05 AM
edit: I'm taking a look at his program list now on wikipedia and there's barely any elevator music, save (arguably) for one or two. there's an eclectic mix of classical, some jazz and standards.
He has been eclectic, but he (or at least his skating) hasn't really found his voice in any of it lately IMO. Maybe it's the fault of the scoring system or his
distaste with it. I still believe his best days were in the 03-04 season and into the following season where he seemed to be advancing his consistency and artistry.

Margaret
04-28-2010, 06:19 AM
http://indianapolis.metromix.com/events/article/q-and-a-with/1911540/content

a quote from Evan's interview:

I don't necessarily think Stars on Ice didn't hire Johnny due to his sexual orientation, but I have a problem with what Evan is insinuating about Johnny as an athlete here (I bolded that part of the quote). It's arrogant and harsh.
I understand that people may be put off by his reaction to not being hired, but to say he isnīt good enough as an athlete/performer/artist - come on. :wall:
Disclaimer: I have nothing against Evan, I just donīt enjoy this style in skating.