PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

kwanette
04-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Tara's special was pretty good, as I recall. The "Spice Girls" number was a low point, but I enjoyed the tango number with Kurt. :)

I thought that the 16 yr age difference was a bit icky....especially to Malaguena.

Sparks
04-26-2010, 11:28 PM
I thought that the 16 yr age difference was a bit icky....especially to Malaguena.

It was her mom in a swing that I found a bit disturbing. :scream:

Those were the days when skating got a lot more TV coverage and there were more opportunities for "Pros".

Back to Johnny - I believe he's just re-writing the Post Olympic Rules and doing it His Way. Leave it to Johnny to do things in an entirely different manner.
I can't speculate if his decisions are good or not. I just want to sit back and see what will happen.

iarispiralllyof
04-26-2010, 11:45 PM
What can I say? I don't remember any Kwan specials, but I looked and did see one--"Reflections on Ice: Michelle Skates to the Music of Disney's Mulan," back in 1998 when she was the expected gold/actual silver Olympic medalist.

Were there any others?

not sure there were others but I'm pretty sure the mulan one was aired looong after she lost the 98 olympics

mmscfdcsu
04-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Tiller had specials way back when. And of course there was this wonderful production:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFep6bm8JdA.

I think that the cheesy Pop music skating specials and the decline of Pro skating have pretty much killed skating in this country. If Johnny developed his artistry, he might have more tours overseas. :(
Right now it looks like he is trying for a children's special where he could do the Christina and Lady Gaga thing. Maybe he could get it on Nickelodeon and slime the audience. :P

attyfan
04-27-2010, 12:33 AM
IIRC, Michelle had at least 3 TV specials -- "Mulan"; "Disney's Greatest Hits -- 75 years"; and "Princesses on Ice". They fit in nicely with her marketing deal. I think that Kurt and Kwan are still the only skaters to get American TV specials without having an OGM.

tarotx
04-27-2010, 12:52 AM
Those skating specials are pretty much the Disson shows now but because skating isn't popular they have singers to attract an audience. Perhaps Johnny could get a skating special to go with his reality tv show?

Prancer
04-27-2010, 03:20 AM
not sure there were others but I'm pretty sure the mulan one was aired looong after she lost the 98 olympics

It won an award for Best Skating Special of 1998-99, so if it was after, I don't think it was loooong after she won the silver.

If Johnny developed his artistry, he might have more tours overseas. :(

Yes, if he were more artistic, he could do something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDFUdxkShVQ&feature=related

Or Yu-Na's show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX4vBea0Jf0

And skaters would never do anything silly like record a single anywhere but here. Well, maybe, here, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5lQFJGmLtE

No cheese or pop music overseas. Johnny's lack of artistry would really stick out like a sore thumb.

Perhaps Johnny could get a skating special to go with his reality tv show?

That could happen, I suppose. Has Johnny's show been renewed?

Jaana
04-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Boitano had several TV specials -- they were generally very good.

Yeah, but he is an Olympic gold medalist and a 2-time World champion, Weir has just only one WC bronze medal...

kwanette
04-27-2010, 01:06 PM
It won an award for Best Skating Special of 1998-99, so if it was after, I don't think it was loooong after she won the silver.

http://heatherw.com/mk/endorse/disney.htm (scroll down)

No, it wasn't taped or aired loooong after she won the silver.

HisWeirness
04-27-2010, 04:04 PM
From Sundancechannel.com: AFTER THE OLYMPICS: A Q&A WITH JOHNNY WEIR (http://www.sundancechannel.com/fullfrontalfashion/blog/2010/04/after-the-olympics-a-qa-with-johnny-weir/)

I would love to do another season (of BGJW). I donít know what my life will be. I may compete, perform, go back to school, or become a trophy wife!

If you do go back to school, what will you study?

I met with FIT. And they took me on a tour and I sat in on classes. It was so interesting to see a fashion school. That is up my alley. Science and mathematics does not interest me. I would study fashion and, if there was a way, I would want to approve (improve?) my Russian. I want to make myself sound like a native.

kwanfan1818
04-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Yeah, but he is an Olympic gold medalist and a 2-time World champion, Weir has just only one WC bronze medal...
That was in the pre-Paris Hilton "famous for being famous" as a young person, and pre-Internet (everyone being wired at every minute for the latest quick amusement), and pre-proliferation of reality shows days.

REO
04-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Yes I agree. Reality tv has brought a whole new "reason" for fame. Johnny's results matter less in this day and age than his personality. Also the culture now is very youth oriented. I think there would be a bigger audience for skating to Lady Gaga than to classical or show music.

azskatefan
04-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Yes I agree. Reality tv has brought a whole new "reason" for fame. Johnny's results matter less in this day and age than his personality. Also the culture now is very youth oriented. I think there would be a bigger audience for skating to Lady Gaga than to classical or show music.

I, however, think that this is going to play an adverse affect on Johnny. He is at risk for becoming someone who is famous for being famous, which is good, if your goal is to be famous. Someone like Paris Hilton comes from a wealthy family. Johnny does not. If he wants to make money, he really needs to have things to back up his fame - it's what attracts the real money that he can live off for a lifetime. William Hung is famous for doing Ricky Martin's song on American Idol. He was all over the place for six months. Now he's back to being a normal working person. Fame should not be the goal.

Johnny should look at opportunities and how they will benefit him both short and long term. "Be Good Johnny Weir" was a platform to get people to notice his skating and help him finance his skating/life. What's a song for? When you take on "embarrassing" projects that have nothing to do with what you want to do (ie; I forgive struggling actors for taking on crap roles), it ruins your value with companies, etc., and can really hurt you down the line.

I'm just worried that Johnny is doing all this stuff, targeted at those same Angels. The same people buying and supporting him before are still the only ones doing it. He's becoming more famous but he's not making himself "attractive" to new people, companies, opportunities, etc. that would really help him become the Johnny I really think he wants. I think he really does want to be respected, etc., but his guidance is not there. Instead of doing silly things, like songs or worthless interviews, I think he should start his designing, etc. Stop just talking about it.

Off soap box.

Willowway
04-27-2010, 09:42 PM
az - you make a very good point. I am not a fan of BGJW but it is, objectively, a fantastic platform for promoting 'the next step' if Johnny has one. For instance, let's say he really does want to become a designer. Ok, start introducing little 'Johnny takes baby steps with design' elements into the show (and they might going forward) to show people that he is (perhaps) talented, interesting (as a designer) and interested (other than throwing boas around - that's not design), etc. Yes, there are people in the design world who would argue that it's the cart before the horse but when you've got the forum to broaden your appeal, use it. He hasn't. And I don't know if there are plans to do that.

Also, in the 'it's all about me all the time' category, I have never noticed Johnny semi-designing or even styling something for someone else when designing is largely (if you watch Project Runway - I confess, I'm addicted) about the customer. But, Johnny is all about Johnny.

He's missing the boat on a lot of things right now. I don't blame him but someone on his team should know better than to squander some extraordinary opportunities to achieve success down the road.

iarispiralllyof
04-27-2010, 09:52 PM
http://heatherw.com/mk/endorse/disney.htm (scroll down)

No, it wasn't taped or aired loooong after she won the silver.

aha! but if the disney contract was signed in march 98, that was after the olympics - which means the whole expected gold medalist/actual silver medalist issue didn't factor in~