PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

wickedwitch
04-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Anyway my point - if Johnny had the skating opportunities he deserves, I would guess he would be less interested in books, singing, media appearances, etc.
There's a difference between the book, which I think may be quite interesting, and singing, a field where he has no talent or experience.

igniculus
04-25-2010, 02:54 PM
But he's been essentially blackballed by soi - and with the usfsa's tacit connivance (it the usfsa had an objection to a cast choice by their 'promotional partner' I would guess that if they wanted they could have convinced soi to see reason). And I'm tired of reading nonsense like "not enough room" or "close soi team" etc. - soi is everywhere right now - even in asia where Johnny has lots of fans... many performances are coi like solos of the various olympic teams.

Anyway my point - if Johnny had the skating opportunities he deserves, I would guess he would be less interested in books, singing, media appearances, etc.

Maybe his agentress should try a bit harder. There are a handful of skating shows in Europe and Asia. Johnny also skated in Plushenko's Kings on Ice show, but only for two stops. What did he do instead? Went back to the US for one show and several media fluffs to live out his celebrity side. He did this even though he is very much aware of the fact that he has quite some European fans too who rarely get to see him (no, traveling to Russia is not an option for everyone). He could have ditched the spotlight and the media attention to follow the Kings on Ice cast till the end of the tour, all over the continent, making money. There is Art on Ice, I can't believe he never thought on a possibility to skate there. It's a more reserved, artistic show and not as happy-smiley-partiotic-wannabee masculine as SOI. And Art on Ice has Lambiel too, who is a good friend of Johnny, and the cast often features several Russians too, so he would not feel alone, imho.

Asia has Festa on Ice, Ice Dreams and all the smaller and bigger shows every year, there are plenty of opportunities to shop around for, it just takes some dedication, humbleness and serious approach. Things his agent has yet to show.

Carolla5501
04-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Well if he had more figure skating performance opportunities he might be less interested in books etc and skating more. But he's been essentially blackballed by soi - and with the usfsa's tacit connivance (it the usfsa had an objection to a cast choice by their 'promotional partner' I would guess that if they wanted they could have convinced soi to see reason). And I'm tired of reading nonsense like "not enough room" or "close soi team" etc. - soi is everywhere right now - even in asia where Johnny has lots of fans... many performances are coi like solos of the various olympic teams.

Honestly....

If Johnny had done SOI he would have LESS attention then he's getting now. I mean if you are in "Kansas City" you aren't as likely to be asked to be "Talk show du jour" etc... Johnny as an ensemble means that when SOI trots out the stars it's him AND someone he has to share the spotlight with LOL!

If he wanted attention actually BEING in SOI would have been a let down IMHO.

jlai
04-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Maybe his agentress should try a bit harder.

I get the feeling that this agent lets her clients do whatever they want, so with Johnny the publicity lover she just lets him get media exposure, and with Jeremy the under-the-radar type, she just lets him stay that way. I don't know if it's a good thing or bad as an agent. Perhaps in Johnny's case she should at least think long term.

iarispiralllyof
04-25-2010, 07:21 PM
The opening where she says, "If you love me," as though she's the star. She comes across as a self-centered, petulant brat. Not someone I would want representing me to the world.

oh my :eek: this has me paranoid. I mean I don't go around saying things like that but usually when I see ppl going around saying "if you love me" it's playful-half jokingly kind of whiny..like it's intended to be cutesy...didn't know some ppl might take it so offensively O_o;;

again I totally agree it's unprofessional. but from the little I know of the chick and agents in general I just found her approach to be more personible/youthful as opposed to someone more serious whose always in the background <--the traditional agent.

I srsly sound like Im defending her here which is hilarious cos im not even that much of a johnny fan although he's definitely interesting hahaha

btw the music single thing? I hope this is a joke. I remember once seeing a vid of him singing karaoke and it was painful lol

REO
04-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Regarding the criticism of Tara , the whole deal about the song, if the media can be believed (yeah I know), had nothing to do with her. Supposedly this musician wrote a song for Johnny after he saw him in the Olympics. Johnny has always said he's not a good singer and the karaoke thing in Korea was just for a fan meeting where it was expected of him but which made him very nervous. What 25 year old in his right mind would not record a song, if only for fun, if a reputable musician wrote a song especially for him and asked him to record it? Like someone said above, in a recording studio they'll have ways to clean up his shaky pitch problem. I don't think he or anyone else has the illusion that he's going to be the next JayZ. For whatever reason he's not in skating shows he has to make a living somehow. He has huge expenses. Perhaps he gets more money for making appearances on talk shows than for skating in an ice show. The off season is his chance to make money for the "on" season. Also, who else from the Olympic team is ABLE to do this. If he was not Johnny the skater but also the personality no matter how hard Tara worked he would not be on those shows.

igniculus
04-25-2010, 10:12 PM
For whatever reason he's not in skating shows he has to make a living somehow. He has huge expenses.

For example? Aside the bad habit of being in love with heavily expensive clothing items, what huge expenses does he have? He is not training anymore as he used to. He has to make a living, that's true, but he is considerably in a better condition now that his competitive carrier is likely behind him.

BittyBug
04-25-2010, 11:01 PM
oh my :eek: this has me paranoid. I mean I don't go around saying things like that but usually when I see ppl going around saying "if you love me" it's playful-half jokingly kind of whiny..like it's intended to be cutesy...didn't know some ppl might take it so offensively O_o;If she had said it on her own web site or Twitter, I wouldn't think twice about the remark, because if people were on either site, they would presumably have an interest in Tara. But she said it on Johnny's Facebook, which should be about Johnny, not her.

REO
04-26-2010, 03:08 AM
For example? Aside the bad habit of being in love with heavily expensive clothing items, what huge expenses does he have? He is not training anymore as he used to. He has to make a living, that's true, but he is considerably in a better condition now that his competitive carrier is likely behind him.

I believe he's contracted to Galina through 2010 and he did put his name in for the Grand Prix events. He will need costumes even if he just skates exhibitions. Rent food bills and his family which struggles. It's the same old costs.We shall see if he really does compete this year but even if he doesn't this is his opportunity to make some real money. Coming off the Olympics and the renown he got from that is his shot. He has to strike while the iron is hot. If he waits till he's 40 nobody will be interested in him.

psycho
04-26-2010, 04:44 AM
Also, if he wants to go to college, that's going to cost a pretty penny...

jlai
04-26-2010, 05:36 AM
I can totally see him getting a scholarship but perhaps not in fashion design. lol

He can give lessons and clinics but I don't see him coaching.

igniculus
04-26-2010, 06:20 AM
I may be wrong on this, but I think his contract was due till this past season was over.

kwanfan1818
04-26-2010, 06:34 AM
JWe for Eurovision 2011! :cheer2:
Will Plushenko skate and Marton :violin:?

Lexxandra
04-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Excerpt from the "Flying Over the Ice" (http://yellapalooza.com/feature/sarah/johnny_part1.html) - an unpublished children’s book about Johnny by Sarah Brannen :)

Prancer
04-26-2010, 08:43 PM
IMHO, If Johnny had spent any time working on developing his artistry over the past few years, he would probably have plenty of opportunities.

Where? With whom?