PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

igniculus
04-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Is nobody near him giving him any wise advice, or does he just refuse to listen? :wall: :(

I think the main problem with Johnny has always been that he refused to listen. To criticism, to constructive criticism, to any kind of advise. Because he thought people don't like him the way he was and wanted to change him. And never realized that most of these people wanted him to succeed as a sportsman and have better accomplishments, and not changing the person he is/was.

Sylvia
04-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Audio of Johnny's interview with Gayle King on her radio show (8 mins): http://www.oprah.com/oprahradio/Figure-Skater-Johnny-Weir-Audio

jlai
04-24-2010, 04:01 PM
I think the main problem with Johnny has always been that he refused to listen. To criticism, to constructive criticism, to any kind of advise. Because he thought people don't like him the way he was and wanted to change him. And never realized that most of these people wanted him to succeed as a sportsman and have better accomplishments, and not changing the person he is/was.

To be fair, team Weir isn't the only one who fails to listen or make the right move at the right time. :(
Lysacek is the perfect example of somone who makes the smartest choices in his career and listens to the right type of feedback (and rightfully ignores the rest). So he ends up doing better than those who are better skaters or has more talent than he does. While Weir, Joubert, Oda, Jeremy Abbott :fragile:

igniculus
04-24-2010, 04:09 PM
To be fair, team Weir isn't the only one who fails to listen or make the right move at the right time. :(
Lysacek is the perfect example of somone who makes the smartest choices in his career and listens to the right type of feedback (and rightfully ignores the rest). So he ends up doing better than those who are better skaters or has more talent than he does. While Weir, Joubert, Oda, Jeremy Abbott :fragile:

I know there are a few more skaters out there in the similar situation, but you know Johnny is always a special exception. ;)

Evan may have had less love and fans or general mainstream interest over the years when he was climbing up the ranks, but all the effort and hard work has payed off.

Cupid
04-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Gayle King sounds like an Oprah clone - the voice, her choice of words, everything. If I had never heard of Gayle King, I would have thought the voice was Oprah's.

I think she tried to trick Johnny when she outright asked him when he knew he was gay - and there was a moment of silence from Johnny and then she quickly began to ramble on and on, giving him an out in answering the question directly. She should have just kept her mouth shut and let it carry out from there. Almost like she panicked or something.

Carolla5501
04-24-2010, 04:27 PM
I actually have the same concerns. :(

It all seems Team Johnny only wants to use the advantage of his already large (and growing) fanbase to :bribe: because they know the fans will watch/buy/listen to anything that has a connection to Johnny. And that's not cool at all.

Imho, if he wished to end his carrier on a high note, this was not the way it should have been done.

Actually what concerns me is that he does not have a large and growing fan base that's willing to spend $$$. I am afraid he is turning into a "celebrity" without a base. In other words folks want to know what he's up to, but "investing" in him? Not sure about that.

Hopefully I am wrong, but he's off doing the "Paris Hilton" plan IMHO which is
"celebrity for celbrity" no real 'talent' or 'product'. And he doesn't have Paris's "resources" (She didn't really NEED to make any money :) )
Plus he has a product if he doesn't throw it away on "celebrity"

Pikku Myy
04-24-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm sorry but some of these decisions are just going to make him a mockery. It's one thing to write a book and host things but if you have no musical talent, which he admits he doesn't, I think making a single is just a poor choice. Come on Johnny and company. Be SMART now and you will be able to rely on that later. Taking anything that comes your way, which to me, as an outsider, appears to be the case, and you end up looking cheap and stupid.

Yup, they should choose his appearances better.

I don't know if this is just my misintepretation or overreaction but I sometimes lurk in Johnny's facebook fanpage and saw his agent's posts there. When I saw this post here (http://www.facebook.com/JohnnyGWeir?v=wall&story_fbid=418559622852), I couldn't believe my eyes. I felt that the post was very arrogant. It wasn't only the actual words that bugged me but also the tone of the post that I felt was very rude.

I get that she was joking but I think it was a joke you can only use with your close friends and family. Johnny's fans are her client's fans not her friends or fans and they are the most potential customers to buy tickets to the events Johnny is starring at. That post was not professional and Johnny's fan page is practically advertising after all.

She had also posted a message last Thursday (here (http://www.facebook.com/JohnnyGWeir/posts/418192777852)). That post has a lighter tone in it but it's still :huh: I mean she is Johnny's agent, not a fangirl and she is basically asking the fans to get the earrings to her.

If this is how she communicates with the fans, how is she communicating with the sponsors and affiliates? :scream: A scary thought.

iarispiralllyof
04-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Yup, they should choose his appearances better.

I don't know if this is just my misintepretation or overreaction but I sometimes lurk in Johnny's facebook fanpage and saw his agent's posts there. When I saw this post here (http://www.facebook.com/JohnnyGWeir?v=wall&story_fbid=418559622852), I couldn't believe my eyes. I felt that the post was very arrogant. It wasn't only the actual words that bugged me but also the tone of the post that I felt was very rude.

I get that she was joking but I think it was a joke you can only use with your close friends and family. Johnny's fans are her client's fans not her friends or fans and they are the most potential customers to buy tickets to the events Johnny is starring at. That post was not professional and Johnny's fan page is practically advertising after all.

She had also posted a message last Thursday (here (http://www.facebook.com/JohnnyGWeir/posts/418192777852)). That post has a lighter tone in it but it's still :huh: I mean she is Johnny's agent, not a fangirl and she is basically asking the fans to get the earrings to her.

If this is how she communicates with the fans, how is she communicating with the sponsors and affiliates? :scream: A scary thought.

she's prolly just overstepping bounds a tad cos she and johnny are so close. if you watch the sundance show their relationship seems different than a typical agent-client relationship ahaha

I think the second example u listed was quite tacky but what was wrong with the first one? johnny skates in that icetheatre thing doesn't he? isn't that 100 percent relevant?

Carolla5501
04-24-2010, 08:56 PM
I feel sorry for Johnny. He really needs "professional" management not a "wannabe" celebrity manager. I think she thinks she is also part of the "star".

She really seems to have very little professionalism and that can't help him. She's basically encouraged him to do things his coaches said "no" to (see the benefit during the season) and made SURE she was on the TV show etc...

I hope it doesn't hurt him long term, but I don't see how it helps. I hope the other skaters using her see all this and come to thier senses becasue IMHO when he quits getting her attention, she's on to "leverage" the next person for her benefit.

iarispiralllyof
04-24-2010, 09:05 PM
dont want to come off like im defending her here cos she does come off as kind of unprofessional..and maybe I haven't seen enough be good johnny weir episodes but from what I saw johnny was all over her in all the episodes she appeared in. like the ep where he was crawling all over her in bed. she probably is overstepping her bounds but from the eps I saw it didn't seem like she was faking or trying too hard to appear on camera. her only notable moments on the show are when johnny's pulling his antics w/ her

ChibiChibi
04-24-2010, 09:18 PM
I think she tried to trick Johnny when she outright asked him when he knew he was gay - and there was a moment of silence from Johnny and then she quickly began to ramble on and on, giving him an out in answering the question directly. She should have just kept her mouth shut and let it carry out from there. Almost like she panicked or something.

I listen Gayle King Show whenever I can because she's very funny and fair to all kinds of opinions.

Based on what I know, Gayle is a figure skating fan, but doesn't know much about the sport and skaters. She was enjoying figure skating during the Olympics, but I didn't get the impression that she follows figure skating outside of the Olympics. She was also saying that she loves Johnny's show, and applauding Johnny for always being true to himself. I think from watching his show, Gayle probably thought Johnny was openly gay. I mean, who wouldn't? I don't think she tried to trick Johnny at all. She just didn't realize that he wasn't quite openly gay until she asked that question.

Carolla5501
04-24-2010, 09:29 PM
dont want to come off like im defending her here cos she does come off as kind of unprofessional..and maybe I haven't seen enough be good johnny weir episodes but from what I saw johnny was all over her in all the episodes she appeared in. like the ep where he was crawling all over her in bed. she probably is overstepping her bounds but from the eps I saw it didn't seem like she was faking or trying too hard to appear on camera. her only notable moments on the show are when johnny's pulling his antics w/ her

It takes two to tango. One such incident.. yeah maybe, but it happened several times. So even if it was ALL his idea, she knew what was going to happen and went along! I mean if I wanted to be seen a professional I would have put a stop to that LOL! It would not have been that hard!

BittyBug
04-25-2010, 01:54 PM
I think the second example u listed was quite tacky but what was wrong with the first one? The opening where she says, "If you love me," as though she's the star. She comes across as a self-centered, petulant brat. Not someone I would want representing me to the world.

robin83
04-25-2010, 02:23 PM
ITA. I can't watch any more. It is very sad. :( He had so much talent and he is doing nothing to develop it. He seems to want to be the King of Mediocrity, or king of the Losers. Is nobody near him giving him any wise advice, or does he just refuse to listen? :wall: :(
Well if he had more figure skating performance opportunities he might be less interested in books etc and skating more. But he's been essentially blackballed by soi - and with the usfsa's tacit connivance (it the usfsa had an objection to a cast choice by their 'promotional partner' I would guess that if they wanted they could have convinced soi to see reason). And I'm tired of reading nonsense like "not enough room" or "close soi team" etc. - soi is everywhere right now - even in asia where Johnny has lots of fans... many performances are coi like solos of the various olympic teams.

Anyway my point - if Johnny had the skating opportunities he deserves, I would guess he would be less interested in books, singing, media appearances, etc.

mmscfdcsu
04-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Anyway my point - if Johnny had the skating opportunities he deserves, I would guess he would be less interested in books, singing, media appearances, etc.

IMHO, If Johnny had spent any time working on developing his artistry over the past few years, he would probably have plenty of opportunities. He has shown no interest in learning about music or movement. I don't think being on SOI would help. There he could just do the same old crud, posing to tweenie music like Lady Gaga or Christina. :wall: I don't think he needs to be skating to classical/opera music, but I think that it would be nice to see some sign that he is moving out of an artistic adolescence. I get mad because he had so much talent but walked away from it. It is like he is making a choice to stay in the Pop world, which is basically about mediocrity instead of focusing on pushing to learn and grow. He showed so much promise when he was with Priscilla and TAT.