PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
04-17-2010, 01:39 AM
[no title but a head-shot picture of Weir with a wicked wink]

That should make for an interesting Library of Congress entry.

He now teaches that lesson of ownership to his skaters.

Unless he thinks Linda Fratianne was the victim of a conspiracy.

Carolla5501
04-17-2010, 01:52 AM
I doubt Johnny is actually giving any thought at all to what you want to buy.

So many people have criticized and attacked Johnny very heavily for years for not publicly discussing his sexual orientation. He now says he will discuss it in his book, and people declare that means he is going to "out" other people and nobody wants to hear about his sex life.

There is just no way for anybody to win in the game of "to tell or not to tell", apparently.

Welll if he wants to make any MONEY off this book, he might want to consider what more then the "uber" fans will buy.:rolleyes: Or at least try to keep it off the "x-rated book shelf"

And I have NEVER attacked him over his sexual orientation. I have posted on here that I don't understand the "fasciination" with his orientation. I mean really does it matter? I don't get the "We need to know all about thier personal life to like their skating" that's very prevelant on here. No, I don't care who they date, what thier "orientation" is or the other "personal" details. I like the product they put on the ice.

REO
04-17-2010, 04:03 AM
Well I think it's human nature, when you're a fan of a person, to take an interest beyond what they're actually famous for doing. Lord knows it would put People magazine out of business if inquiring minds did not want to know. The issue of Johnny's orientation fascinates people because he's so feminine yet he plays it coy about the whole thing. If he just said "yes I'm here and I'm queer" nobody would have anything to speculate about ad mauseum. Every thread about him on this board is miles long no matter whether he's writing a book, winning a World medal or zamboniing himself off the world team. He has fans worldwide way out of proportion to his medal count. He's just got "it". It makes people care even the ones who say they don't. "You either love him or hate him. There's no middle ground." lol

libby
04-17-2010, 05:47 AM
Welll if he wants to make any MONEY off this book, he might want to consider what more then the "uber" fans will buy.:rolleyes: Or at least try to keep it off the "x-rated book shelf"

Now he's considering writing an "x-rated" book? :rolleyes: It's amazing how many things people are finding to criticize about a book that has not even been written yet, and about which Johnny has so far said very, very little.

And I have NEVER attacked him over his sexual orientation.

I didn't say that you had, Carolla. I said that Johnny has received a great deal of criticism over the years for not just publicly declaring his orientation, and now that he has said he will reveal it in his book, you are criticizing him for that and saying you don't want to know about his sex life, so it appears that he can't avoid criticism either way.

Prancer
04-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Now he's considering writing an "x-rated" book? :rolleyes:

Yes, I think it's a bit of a leap to assume that he's going to reveal salacious details. I would expect it to be more of "how my sexuality evolved" kind of thing, which isn't exactly new, but is something that could be important to people--not from a gossipy point of view, especially, but as part of Johnny's ongoing message that is important to be who you are and embrace your individuality.

There aren't that many people in the world who are interested in a book just about skating, and Johnny isn't getting a book deal because he is a skater, per se, but because he is Johnny Weir the skater.

I didn't say that you had, Carolla. I said that Johnny has received a great deal of criticism over the years for not just publicly declaring his orientation, and now that he has said he will reveal it in his book, you are criticizing him for that and saying you don't want to know about his sex life, so it appears that he can't avoid criticism either way.

Well, no, but who can? Different people have different responses. It's one thing if the same person slams Johnny for not declaring his orientation and then slams him for doing it later, but people are never of one mind about much of anything.

azskatefan
04-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Going back to my post, my point was that a lot of the people he might talk about in the book have been respectful in not talking about him, and not disclosing their sexual relationship to the masses. I think it would do Johnny good to keep that in mind. Just because he might now want to declare if he likes men, women or both, there were people who helped him keep it on the DL even when he was at the height of his fame. He should extend them the same courtesy. That's all my point was. Not that he doesn't have the right to discuss whatever he wants in his book -- just that he should take a high road when he does it. I don't know if he plans to make it steamy but I hope he does plan to make it tasteful. I'd hate for him to burn bridges for the sake of selling this book.

tarotx
04-17-2010, 06:06 PM
I think people are worried about what Johnny promised to get a book deal. He's not exactly the top US figure skater anymore so it's what's happens off ice that got him the deal. And I don't mean that's a bad thing. He's a reality star who got a lot of press for wink wink sexual awareness and for the perceived unfairness he has got within his sport and IMO that is why he was able to get a book deal meeting.

I hope the book is just about Johnny. His life and how he has perceived the good and bad that has made him who he is. I don't even mind him giving his opinions and/or impressions of skating events nor follow skating personalities-in fact I actually want that in the book-as long as the book has the point of view that this is Johnny's mind at work and not necessarily reality. I will have a problem reading the book myself if Johnny has a pettiness about Evan or anyone throughout the book and if he wink wink's "outs" any person who choses not to be.

azskatefan
04-17-2010, 06:10 PM
I hope the book is just about Johnny. His life and how he has perceived the good and bad that has made him who he is. I don't even mind him giving his opinions and/or impressions of skating events nor follow skating personalities-in fact I actually want that in the book-as long as the book has the point of view that this is Johnny's mind at work and not necessarily reality. I will have a problem reading the book myself if Johnny has a pettiness about Evan or anyone throughout the book and if he wink wink's "outs" any person who choses not to be.

I agree completely.

jlai
04-17-2010, 11:47 PM
That should make for an interesting Library of Congress entry.

Unless he thinks Linda Fratianne was the victim of a conspiracy.

He might say that but he would probably also chew out his students who whine. :)

RebeccaCP
04-19-2010, 05:33 PM
EW.com's announcement of Johnny's book deal here (http://shelf-life.ew.com/2010/04/19/olympian-johnny-weir-to-pen-book/).

“His book will be all things Johnny — vivacious, stylish, honest and one-of-a-kind,” said Jennifer Bergstrom, vice president and editor-in-chief of Gallery Books, in a statement.

gkelly
04-19-2010, 05:42 PM
I hope the book is just about Johnny. His life and how he has perceived the good and bad that has made him who he is. I don't even mind him giving his opinions and/or impressions of skating events nor follow skating personalities-in fact I actually want that in the book-as long as the book has the point of view that this is Johnny's mind at work and not necessarily reality.

Basically a Toller Cranston for the 21st century?

LadyNit
04-19-2010, 09:35 PM
The AP version of Johnny's book deal announcement (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h9L4gkHVufUzY1g_D0g4vrNcV38gD9F69V3G1). It promises a "wildly entertaining" collection of ancecdotes, etc. :P

More serious factoids about the book (http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/deals/gallery_books_to_publish_johnny_weir_158872.asp) are here.

azskatefan
04-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Ah, a book of essays sounds much better! But I wonder if it's just his web journals in some cases?

Jenny
04-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Good for him for landing a legitimate publishing house and editor - even if the format/content does sound a bit odd!

RockTheTassel
04-20-2010, 12:46 AM
Johnny seemed all over the place after the Olympics, so I'm glad to see him commit to one project. Good luck to him with the book. I can't wait to read it!