PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

REO
04-15-2010, 10:56 PM
See I agree with Psycho. You can read into it anything you like but if it was a press release saying "Jessica Alba is not doing a movie or a tv show this summer. She's training for a marathon for breast cancer" would you start foaming at the mouth and thinking that she is dissing people who ARE doing movies and tv this summer? I wouldn't. I'd think That's great. Good for Jessica. Nor would I quick look up who her agents' other clients are and think it was a dig at them because they were not doing that same stupid marathon. No matter what you may think of Tara she'd have to be the biggest fool on earth to jeopardize her relationship with her other clients by dissing them. No clients no business.

Willowway
04-15-2010, 11:04 PM
I would guess that this press release is for skating and entertainment distribution. As someone who wrote and received press releases for years I can tell you that it doesn't sound (first paragraph) like a standard release as releases have a definite form and that first sentence is way "off" in tone. And no, it isn't choice of interpretation - those references and the use of the word "family" in quotation marks are flashing neon indicators that there's something else (other than giving info about Johnny) going on.

Any experienced editor would know, even without knowing the specifics, that someone's unspoken agenda is being advanced (or worse, that someone's ox is being gored) right off the bat in that opening paragraph. The wording invites the question, "ok, what's that about?" You know it's about something - and that's not good.

For any standard journalistic purposes, this release would be tossed in the trash bin before the editor got to parargraph 2. That's the lack of professionalism showing and Johnny should have better.

All one needs to do to make it factual, neutral in tone and Johnny-positive is edit the first sentence, start with his name and leave off all that comparative wording.

Not...

"While his contemporaries may be dancing with stars, doing “family” ice shows or just trying to catch their breath after the Vancouver Winter Olympics, Johnny Weir is using his heightened celebrity status to get behind a diversified list of charities and causes. “It’s just what I was taught by my parents,” Weir says. “When you’re in a position to help people, you should do it,” he added.

but...

"Johnny Weir is using the heightened celebrity he earned at the Vancouver Winter Olympics to get behind a diversified list of charities and causes. “It’s just what I was taught by my parents,” Weir says. “When you’re in a position to help people, you should do it,” he added.

So simple and no one needs to be snide about anyone else to advance Johnny's positive profile.

Wyliefan
04-15-2010, 11:45 PM
See I agree with Psycho. You can read into it anything you like but if it was a press release saying "Jessica Alba is not doing a movie or a tv show this summer. She's training for a marathon for breast cancer" would you start foaming at the mouth and thinking that she is dissing people who ARE doing movies and tv this summer?

I wouldn't foam at the mouth in any case. It's disgusting. :) But if I read a press release saying, "Unlike her colleagues who are making movies and TV shows this summer, Jessica Alba is training for a marathon, etc.," then I might think it sounded a bit odd.

jlai
04-16-2010, 01:13 AM
Icenetwork took out the word "family", and already it has made a world of difference in tone.

DreamSkates
04-16-2010, 01:25 AM
After reading these 25 pages of posts...keep in mind I was a Johnny fan when he won his first national title, but not so much these past 3 years altho I was hoping he could increase his technical difficulty and be consistent and place better in the past 2 years.

Question: would Johnny not be doing the charity route if he had been invited to skate with SOI or dance on DWTS?

Make of it what you want, but those are his opportunities. Likely taken on with a mix of good intentions and able to keep him in the spotlight.

I don't think he's leaving much of an impact regarding "artistry" in the figure skating world. Had he continued with the artistry in his first couple of years at Nationals (first title and onward) and spent less time on costumes, the story might be much different.
Evan was criticized for his lack of interesting costumes and even interesting artistry, but he has won both the World and Olympic gold medals. So there you go, it is after all, a sport. Evan didn't whine or make excuses, he worked very hard and worked smart, by the rulebook.

Jenny
04-16-2010, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't foam at the mouth in any case. It's disgusting. :) But if I read a press release saying, "Unlike her colleagues who are making movies and TV shows this summer, Jessica Alba is training for a marathon, etc.," then I might think it sounded a bit odd.

Exactly. It would also sound like Jessica wasn't getting any offers, so is filling her time with something else.

HisWeirness
04-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Blog post with Johnny interview and tidbits about The Book (http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/2010/04/15/johnny-weir-talks-marriage-and-his-upcoming-book/)

However, Weir told me that he will disclose much of his sexual past in a new autobiography that he is writing, which will come out in 2011.

IceJunkie
04-16-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm shocked I tell you, shocked! :lol:

Cheylana
04-16-2010, 07:06 PM
The point is, she's implying that they're wasting their time in unimportant activities.
I agree, but I'm not surprised. From what I've seen on BGJW, Tara seems really low-rent and attention-hungry...IMO.

azskatefan
04-16-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate being outed by Johnny. My only advice is to be careful because in this day of technology, you never know who has something on you. Be careful with the stones you throw Johnny. You are living in a glass house.

libby
04-16-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate being outed by Johnny. My only advice is to be careful because in this day of technology, you never know who has something on you. Be careful with the stones you throw Johnny. You are living in a glass house.

How do you know Johnny is going to "out" people? He said he would disclose HIS OWN sexual past in the book. He didn't say anything at all about outing anyone else who is not already openly out.

CynicElle
04-16-2010, 07:23 PM
I really doubt Johnny's going to be randomly outing people. If nothing else, I suspect the publisher's legal team would put a stop to that pretty quickly.

libby
04-16-2010, 07:23 PM
I agree, but I'm not surprised. From what I've seen on BGJW, Tara seems really low-rent and attention-hungry...IMO.

She definitely comes across as inexperienced and unprofessional. I don't think she serves Johnny well, and actually ends up bringing him unwarranted criticism with her amateurish representation.

azskatefan
04-16-2010, 07:37 PM
How do you know Johnny is going to "out" people? He said he would disclose HIS OWN sexual past in the book. He didn't say anything at all about outing anyone else who is not already openly out.

I didn't say that he would - but I was just suggesting (as if he ever read this) to be careful. Johnny's sexual history might be all women I suppose. I don't know since the book is not out. :) Sometimes people don't think properly when they're trying to push something profitable for them. I'm hoping Johnny is one of those people who does. And just because someone is out to skating fans does not mean that they want the whole world to know. I hope he's just careful and doesn't burn any bridges. I really like the idea of Johnny doing a book but I am just weary of some negatives that may result. That's all. It's not like he's writing a "Heart of a Champion" or "Totally Tara".

Carolla5501
04-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Johnny thinks I want to buy a book about his sex life??? REALLY?

Uh, no! Skating maybe. His sexual history. Johnny, that's not good. Didn't anyone tell you not to kiss and tell?
(Hopefully he didn't mean 'abuse' or something but "sexual history" doesn't say that to me)