PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

FSOWebmaster
04-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Johnny Weir nominated for a 'NewNowNext Award" in the "Most Addictive Reality Star" category: http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2010/04/15/johnny-weir-nominated-for-newnownext-award/

TalentedButHumble
04-15-2010, 04:57 PM
His PR person is just not what I would call "quality" which is sad, but....
After watching a few episodes of his show I reallyw as kind of :eek: at her lack of professionalism.

Speaking as someone in the profession for a long time - I can't get past that release's first paragraph.

Is this Tara Modlin supposed to be his publicist, agent, manager, what? There's a vast number of jobs supporting professional entertainers and athletes. If she's trying to do them all, well, there's the first problem. In fact, someone pitching a book should've had a separate literary agent from their their other representation.

Second - I've never seen his show. But it seems to me a publicist, manager, etc. should stay in the background.

sk9tingfan
04-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Second - I've never seen his show. But it seems to me a publicist, manager, etc. should stay in the background.

Tara "in the background"?.....It will never happen. :(

Jenny
04-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Actually I'd say that these days, a celebrity's team is better known than ever, and I've seen many of them appear alongside their clients, especially in reality and documentary programing. Even in fiction - look at the show Entourage for example.

However, that doesn't take away from the fact that this Tara is an unprofessional amateur who may be good at getting her client attention, but is doing nothing for his image, reputation and long term career.

The reference to "outspoken and outrageous," along with the distasteful opening paragraph of the release, says a lot about what their strategy is. Even the events themselves say alot - I'm seeing a lot of appearances, but little actual work in support of a charity or cause.

Johnny may be enjoying the attention now, and voiding around on the D list, but he would be wise to think ahead and get serious about his future before too long.

Willowway
04-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I believe (and someone tell me if I'm wrong) that Modlin is a one-stop shop; she (and anyone who works directly for her, if there is anyone) is doing all the agenting/managing/PR, etc. I don't know if Johnny has a literary agent but at least here in NYC a separate literary agent is the norm because the subsidiary rights issues around any book are more complicated than ever before. I hope he has one but then again, Modlin may rep him for the book by herself.

I would have hoped that he had a separate PR person or firm but that opening paragraph leads me to believe that he doesn't; no died-in-the-wool PR pro would have written that. It's very sad.

jlai
04-15-2010, 06:05 PM
As a Johnny fan (a more realistic one - as someone who cheers for him but recognizes that he is not a flawless person, much like myself),

Yeah, I'm a pretty realistic skating fan myself, though I care deeply about all the skaters I like. But the more you know the more realistic you become.

Anyway, I read about possible sponsorship after nationals for Tara's skaters but I didn't hear that anything actually happened.

Mayra
04-15-2010, 06:33 PM
How ever will he have time to write when he'll be be enjoying buff bartenders from modelbartenders.com pouring Ultimat Vodka cocktails? Oh, he's hosting an AIDS benefit (http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2010/04/14/johnny-weir-to-appear-at-gmhc-aidswalk-in-new-york/). Did Fireworks Sports Marketing really start the press release by dissing their two clients other than Johnny? I think they rep two SOI performers: Rachael and Jeremy.

I guess his management team figured their client couldn't beat Evan on the ice, so they'd continue to beat on him, off the ice. The dig at the SOI skaters makes him seem petty, but that seems to be the angle his management team is selling him on, so it's not entirely surprising.

TalentedButHumble
04-15-2010, 06:48 PM
The dig at the SOI skaters makes him seem petty,
Oh, to be a widdle fly on the various SOI tour buses if these kinds of topics come up. :shuffle:

OTOH maybe they're too busy performing and having fun to even think about this.

azskatefan
04-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Tara seems like she cares a lot for her skaters. She really interacts with Johnny's fans from what I see on his FB page. Based on what I've seen on the show, and casual encounters at events, it seems like she has a really good heart, and a passion for the sport. I think she could do great things for the skaters she works with because she cares about them. I think as she gets more experience, things will get better. She did help Rachael get the AT&T deal. (I assume.) Rachael and Jeremy are on SOI. Johnny has a successful reality show. She's still quite new to the business, isn't she? The mistakes that are made will be a learning experience. Unfortunately, she's learning in front of us. I have to remind myself that I don't know what is going on in her office, the skaters, etc., so what looks black on our side might be as white as it could be from the other side.

Willowway
04-15-2010, 09:30 PM
As far as I know she's not that new to the business - in other words, it's not an reason/excuse. If she cares about her skaters that much then she wouldn't back-hand in print two of the three she represents. She's no dummy but this isn't good and there's no excuse for it.

REO
04-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Is that press release for all publications or just skating ones because I guarantee that nobody, but the few peeps who rant and wail on this board, knows who represents Rachel Flatt or Jeremy Abbott. A big deal was made of the SOI issue. Way beyond the skating world. A press release using that seems savvy to me. JMO

Jenny
04-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Is that press release for all publications or just skating ones because I guarantee that nobody, but the few peeps who rant and wail on this board, knows who represents Rachel Flatt or Jeremy Abbott. A big deal was made of the SOI issue. Way beyond the skating world. A press release using that seems savvy to me. JMO

I think you are missing the point - by dissing SOI as an activity not as worthy as Johnny's charity events, she is insulting two of her other clients. Highly unprofessional, and just not nice.

Charlini
04-15-2010, 10:33 PM
I think you are missing the point - by dissing SOI as an activity not as worthy as Johnny's charity events, she is insulting two of her other clients. Highly unprofessional, and just not nice.

I did not initially interpret the first paragraph like that at all. True, that "friendly" is in quotes, but I don't see it as insulting her other clients, IMO.

Wyliefan
04-15-2010, 10:35 PM
The point is, she's implying that they're wasting their time in unimportant activities.

psycho
04-15-2010, 10:45 PM
The point is, she's implying that they're wasting their time in unimportant activities.

You chose to take it that way. When I first read it, the only dig I saw was at the notion that Weir is not family friendly enough for SOI, not on people doing these activities. I never even saw any of the sub context some people insist is there. I think at this point, some people are looking for stuff to pick on...