PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
04-13-2010, 01:28 AM
How much responsibility does a publisher have to verify facts in a tell-all style book? Just curious because while I think Johnny is a fantastic story teller I'm often left with the feeling his reality may be another persons fantasy.

The lawyers will go over the manuscript for anything potentially libelous. I foresee a lot of "One skating official...." rather than specific names.

But surely Johnny must know that the figure skating world is going to come down very hard on the book if there's even a single detail that's inaccurate. If any information is even slightly misused, Johnny's critics will use it to completely discredit the book and Johnny.

That's why I think it might be a memoir rather than an autobiography. Most people don't know the difference, but Gore Vidal's definition of a memoir sums it up: A memoir is how one remembers one's own life, while an autobiography is history, requiring research, dates, facts double-checked.

At this point, I don't think there's enough of a market in the United States for a book from Johnny. I get the impression that he's better known in countries like Japan and Russia than he is here.

You don't have to be really well known, just have an audience. (http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/popcandy/2002-10-09-candy.htm)

And they could have another show where they have several people compete to come up with a new hairstyle for Johnny. ;)

:lol: That would be a good show.

marbri
04-13-2010, 07:47 PM
The lawyers will go over the manuscript for anything potentially libelous. I foresee a lot of "One skating official...." rather than specific names.

So less of a tell-all and more of a tease, titilate and insinuate ;)

BittyBug
04-14-2010, 06:00 AM
Don't hate - speculate, insinuate and titillate! :saint:

essence_of_soy
04-14-2010, 06:04 AM
I wonder if he's thought of a title yet. My suggestions are:

Tassles and Wiggles and Tears, Oh My.
From Russia With Love.
All I ever hear is Evan, Evan, Evan.

judgejudy27
04-14-2010, 06:07 AM
I would be surprised if ever saw Johnny (or Evan Lysacek for that matter) compete in amateur competition ever again. I think Johnny realizes his performances in Vancouver are a great note for him to go out on. He finally did everything he and others wanted him to under COP and it was brilliant. He wasnt really rewarded placement or score wise by the judges but that is another reason I would be surprised to see him back. Their message was also his window on the World stage has closed, it was a shame he didnt have that kind of performance on the World stage 2, 3, 4, or 5 years ago as it would have been a totally different story then me thinks. So ultimately the Olympics are a perfect ending to his amateur career with great and finally COP friendly performances that showed his amazing talents as a skater at their fullest which he can atleast feel great about.

I do hope we see him as a professional though. It is a shame about this whole Stars on Ice thing but I think he could be a great show skater and would add alot to any of the tours he was on. It would be fun to be able to watch him continue to skate in some form. In many ways professional skating is where he could really shine the most without the constraints of all the amateur rules. I am not sure what his plans are though in that regard though.

REO
04-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Totally agree. I think he even said before the Olympics that they would be some sort of "message" to him. I took it to mean as to whether he should bother to continue or not.
What a shame that this is a sport where your performance is not necessarily the indicator of your score. I don't know how these people do it. Strong kids.

I also agree about the show skating. He's at his best with no pressure.

jlai
04-14-2010, 05:37 PM
I agree though whether he has the motivation to keep up the technical difficulties is an issue

azskatefan
04-15-2010, 04:59 AM
How ever will he have time to write when he'll be be enjoying buff bartenders from modelbartenders.com pouring Ultimat Vodka cocktails? Oh, he's hosting an AIDS benefit (http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2010/04/14/johnny-weir-to-appear-at-gmhc-aidswalk-in-new-york/). Did Fireworks Sports Marketing really start the press release by dissing their two clients other than Johnny? I think they rep two SOI performers: Rachael and Jeremy.

Willowway
04-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Did Fireworks Sports Marketing really start the press release by dissing their two clients other than Johnny?

I don't blame Johnny - he doesn't write press releases nor probably even see them. But the first sentence of that release is strictly bush league. Is Tara just declaring war on everyone? Too bad he doesn't have more sophisticated management - but that's just my opinion, he seems happy enough.

Carolla5501
04-15-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't blame Johnny - he doesn't write press releases nor probably even see them. But the first sentence of that release is strictly bush league. Is Tara just declaring war on everyone? Too bad he doesn't have more sophisticated management - but that's just my opinion, he seems happy enough.

His PR person is just not what I would call "quality" which is sad, but....

After watching a few episodes of his show I reallyw as kind of :eek: at her lack of professionalism. Maybe she has a better side, but she didn't do her career much good IMHO by her actions on the show.

Jenny
04-15-2010, 02:50 PM
That release is pathetic, and highly unprofessional.

And nice try at spinning this apparent focus on charity work. I have no doubt Johnny means well, but IMO his agent is attempting to use these charity events to make her lack of ability to get him paid seem like a strategy, and worse, taking a holier than thou attitude about it.

Johnny may not have written it, or even seen it (although he should, since it's about him and includes a quote by him), but he does choose to have this management and therefore endorses their methods.

Sad.

sk9tingfan
04-15-2010, 03:04 PM
His PR person is just not what I would call "quality" which is sad, but....

After watching a few episodes of his show I reallyw as kind of :eek: at her lack of professionalism. Maybe she has a better side, but she didn't do her career much good IMHO by her actions on the show.

I've spent a fair amount of time in her presence, and I have not been impressed at all. I also think that she knows that I "know where she lives" and that I don't approve and won't pander to her. As a result, she's less than fond of me; not exactly hostile, but not warm and fuzzy.

The one positive thing that I can say about her is that she is really aggressive in terms of getting her skaters recognition and gigs.

Wyliefan
04-15-2010, 03:05 PM
But the first sentence of that release is strictly bush league.

Good Lord, you're not kidding. :eek: It's too bad he doesn't have better PR people.

azskatefan
04-15-2010, 03:32 PM
I think it's wonderful that Johnny is doing charity work. (His parents taught him very well - when you can help, you should help. His fame and reach are far to great for him to do nothing but enjoy it for himself IMO. A lot of people have helped him so it's great he's helping others.) I also think it is great to see some positive press on him, not related to people who don't enjoy him, like animal activists and Stars on Ice. As a Johnny fan (a more realistic one - as someone who cheers for him but recognizes that he is not a flawless person, much like myself), I just wish things could be about Johnny. Just Johnny. Not about what Johnny's doing and how much more important it is than what everyone else is doing. Or how much better what he is doing is than Dancing with the Stars or Stars on Ice. It makes him sound bitter, even though he's probably happy with all of his own opportunities. Let things be about Johnny for once! Johnny is doing a great thing with this charity gig. Let it be about that!

Willowway
04-15-2010, 03:38 PM
AZ - your suggested approach is much wiser and more to the point. Maybe you should be advising his PR person - and I mean that! As you suggest, the current press release's opening words/tone only minimize, not maximize, the good work being done and that's going in the wrong direction.