PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Japanfan
04-12-2010, 08:17 AM
A lot of people who write very well cannot write books; a lot of people who don't write very well at all can.

ITA. But another truth in the publishing industry is that celebrities who cannot write well at all publish books easily because their name sells. Publishers just find editors to clean up and even rewrite or expand the content. In some case the person might not even have to write much at all - just tell stories in a tape recorder which will subsequently be transcribed and editied.

Prancer
04-12-2010, 11:28 AM
ITA. But another truth in the publishing industry is that celebrities who cannot write well at all publish books easily because their name sells. Publishers just find editors to clean up and even rewrite or expand the content. In some case the person might not even have to write much at all - just tell stories in a tape recorder which will subsequently be transcribed and editied.

Princess Diana leaps to mind.

But a lot of celebrity deals fall apart because celebrities can't even do the tapes, for the same reason people can't write books. Making yourself sit down day after day and tell a detailed story is work. And however it works, I think Johnny will want to have a lot of say in the final product.

I will bet that Johnny's book will be labeled a memoir :shuffle:.

REO
04-12-2010, 04:08 PM
I think Johnny will want to have a lot of say in the final product :shuffle:.

I would bet money on that one. lol

BreakfastClub
04-12-2010, 07:06 PM
But a lot of celebrity deals fall apart because celebrities can't even do the tapes, for the same reason people can't write books. Making yourself sit down day and after day and tell a detailed story is work.

Prancer, honey, I love you, but what's gotten into you? The cranky English professor is showing. ;) Why the JWe pessimism? Have you been watching Be Good Johnny Weir or really any interviews or commentary he's ever done? The boy is a born narrator. Telling stories is obviously not work for him. All he needs is an editor to turn his gab sessions into a book if he doesn't have the time or energy for all that typing.

Frau Muller
04-12-2010, 07:09 PM
I bet that the Foreword to Johnny's book will be by "Vyacheslav Romanov"!

sk9tingfan
04-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I bet that the Foreword to Johnny's book will be by "Vyacheslav Romanov"!

Or atleast dedicated to him. But I would guess his book will be dedicated to Patti and Diane.

REO
04-12-2010, 08:19 PM
I agree. Definitely his mom. I love Viacheslav though. The way after he asks a question he cocks his head to listen to the answer like a little bird is so funny. My favorite line from BGJW is his. "Thank you Modlin. If I did not like cats so much I would take you home." Killer.

Prancer
04-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Prancer, honey, I love you, but what's gotten into you? The cranky English professor is showing. ;) Why the JWe pessimism? Have you been watching Be Good Johnny Weir or really any interviews or commentary he's ever done?

I've never seen the show. And I'm pessimistic not about Johnny in particular but because I am pessimistic about ANYONE writing a book and getting it published. I've seen a lot of ships wrecked on those particular rocks. And people who DO get books written are usually at a point in their lives where they have a lot of time and leisure to be reflective, while I think Johnny is pretty busy right now and probably will be for some times.

But we'll see. I love surprises! :D

Iceman
04-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Johnny may want to have a lot to say about the final product, but that doesn't mean he will get it----unless the publisher is Vanity Press, which I suspect it will be if a book ever materializes.

mmscfdcsu
04-12-2010, 08:57 PM
I've never seen the show. And I'm pessimistic not about Johnny in particular but because I am pessimistic about ANYONE writing a book and getting it published. I've seen a lot of ships wrecked on those particular rocks. And people who DO get books written are usually at a point in their lives where they have a lot of time and leisure to be reflective, while I think Johnny is pretty busy right now and probably will be for some times.

But we'll see. I love surprises! :D

Do skaters actually write their own books? I thought most had major help from a collaborator or were ghostwritten.

Prancer
04-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Do skaters actually write their own books? I thought most had major help from a collaborator or were ghostwritten.

The degree to which celebrity authors contribute to their own work varies; some actually do all the writing themselves and have it edited, and some don't do any writing at all.

But even a ghostwriter has to have something to work with, and there have been a lot of celebrities that made deals for books and then not cooperated with their ghostwriter. Again, it's a tedious process, even if you aren't doing the writing yourself.

Johnny may want to have a lot to say about the final product, but that doesn't mean he will get it----unless the publisher is Vanity Press, which I suspect it will be if a book ever materializes.

I don't agree with that at all; I think if Johnny does get a book done, it will be handled through a major publisher (or a major publisher's imprint). There's an audience for the book. And as the author, he can have a lot to say about what does and doesn't get in the book. There will be things that he doesn't have any say over, and he might lose a few fights, but still--Johnny being Johnny is what will sell the book.

marbri
04-13-2010, 12:03 AM
How much responsibility does a publisher have to verify facts in a tell-all style book? Just curious because while I think Johnny is a fantastic story teller I'm often left with the feeling his reality may be another persons fantasy.

RockTheTassel
04-13-2010, 12:08 AM
But surely Johnny must know that the figure skating world is going to come down very hard on the book if there's even a single detail that's inaccurate. If any information is even slightly misused, Johnny's critics will use it to completely discredit the book and Johnny.

jlai
04-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Rudy did a book shortly after 1996 after he turned pro and he had a ghost writer.

Allskate
04-13-2010, 12:18 AM
At this point, I don't think there's enough of a market in the United States for a book from Johnny. I get the impression that he's better known in countries like Japan and Russia than he is here.

They should get Bravo to carry a Johnny skating special. They could have a whole additional behind the scenes show about the costuming. And they could have another show where they have several people compete to come up with a new hairstyle for Johnny. ;)