PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Prancer
04-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Yes, but we still read it! However, I doubt anything Johnny would write like this would be about the Kennedys, etc.

But my point is that people who write gossipy, revealing things about people they know suffer personally for it, as do the people they write about, and for what?

There's something incredibly self-destructive about writing a tell-all, which is why most people who write them wait until they are old (and their subjects are dead) or they have absolutely nothing left to lose. Johnny is young; he would have to live a long time with the consequences.

mmscfdcsu
04-08-2010, 01:50 AM
I wonder if there would even be much of a market for his book in the USA. :confused: Maybe in Japan or Russia, but would anybody really buy the book here?

jlai
04-08-2010, 02:39 AM
If it's just a strict bio I'll skip, since his reality show has pretty much said it all.

Now, if it's gossip. :lol: The nosy parker in me wants to know what he has got, but if his book is as long-winded as his blog then I'll read the summary here instead. :P

overedge
04-08-2010, 03:23 AM
Yes! I don't see how so many people can bash Johnny and his book without knowing anything about it.

People don't know anything about it because Johnny doesn't seem to have said much about it other than he is having "book meetings". I don't think it's "bash[ing]" for people to then speculate about how realistic his book project is and what his book might contain.

Call this bashing if you will, but at the moment, the book idea just sounds like one of the many other things (e.g. fashion design) he's dropped hints about pursuing, but doesn't seem to be seriously investing in.

REO
04-08-2010, 03:59 AM
Well I don't know. Some people have said they heard there are a couple of chapters already written. That could be what he's shopping around which sounds pretty serious to me. If a publisher thinks this book will sell we'll see a book, if not then back to the drawing board or on to the next thing for Johnny. I personally am hoping for book fruition. I hope it's juicy enough to make the best seller list. lol

RebeccaCP
04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Thank you, overedge, for the example of a "tell-all" style proposal (It took a couple days to read that one - I couldn't just stick with the intro and the conclusion), and for the publishing timeline summary. The proposal you linked was, um, interesting!

One last publishing-like question: Would someone who may or may not have written a few chapters of an autobiography and is "shopping a book" have an book/literary agent? Should they?

I've not seen from his Twitter account, or any other source, if he's doing this himself, or is Tara representing him, or if he's met with/hired a literary agent. If you were dead serious on getting a deal, would you want/need a book agent during the "shopping" process? Would he be taken more seriously?

He's not shopping his book today, according to his Twitter. He's taking a day off.

overedge
04-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Thank you, overedge, for the example of a "tell-all" style proposal (It took a couple days to read that one - I couldn't just stick with the intro and the conclusion), and for the publishing timeline summary. The proposal you linked was, um, interesting!

One last publishing-like question: Would someone who may or may not have written a few chapters of an autobiography and is "shopping a book" have an book/literary agent? Should they?

I've not seen from his Twitter account, or any other source, if he's doing this himself, or is Tara representing him, or if he's met with/hired a literary agent. If you were dead serious on getting a deal, would you want/need a book agent during the "shopping" process? Would he be taken more seriously?

He's not shopping his book today, according to his Twitter. He's taking a day off.

Like a lot of things in publishing, the answer to your question is "it depends" :)

If you are Joe Schmoe off the street, you generally won't get anywhere near a reputable publisher without a literary agent (especially if you're trying to sell fiction, but that's a different story). Agents build reputations by being selective about what they bring to publishing houses, and publishers would sooner pay attention to what an agent has chosen to represent, rather than read through 10,000 awful proposals to find one good one. If you're a celeb with some kind of name, or someone with some kind of expertise and a sellable idea - e.g. Dr. No-Name's 10-Day Diet to Lose 100 Pounds - you might have an easier time getting in the door on your own, but you would still have a much better chance of being published if you were represented by an agent or a manager.

Celebs who have general management, like Johnny seems to have with Tara, might have that manager represent them for a book, or they and the manager might hire a literary agent. In those cases, the literary agent usually works in collaboration with the general manager, but the general manager usually retains overall control. This is often because the book is part of a larger "package" involving pushing the product or the celeb in other media channels (e.g. a TV show, a record, a website, or a movie) and the manager wants to make sure the parts of the package are all coordinated.

tangerine_dream
04-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Honestly the only people Johnny would probably bash would be the USFS. He has nothing to lose since he's open about the fact that they don't like him, and I assume the book would come out after he retires anyway.

HisWeirness
04-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Johnny (http://www.glaad.org/mediaawards/21/la) is scheduled to make a "special appearance" at the 21st Annual GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles on April 17, 2010.

Helenista
04-10-2010, 12:58 AM
OMG Johnny and Adam Lambert at the same event? Now that would be epic. :D

RockTheTassel
04-10-2010, 04:37 AM
Apparently, the book is going to happen. Recently posted on Johnny's twitter...

There is a book in my near future. Gearing up for a full night's sleep. Goodnight kittens.

Well. This should be interesting.

REO
04-10-2010, 05:16 AM
We can only hope.

Margaret
04-10-2010, 10:09 AM
So what do you think, this is it? Can we say he is retired now? :( Because no way he is going to publish it while still competing, he has said so several times.

igniculus
04-10-2010, 02:09 PM
I'd find it hard to believe that he intends on skating after summer. Even nowadays, he looks very out of shape in his gala performances.

judiz
04-10-2010, 03:10 PM
In addition, the only appearances he has lined up are non-skating ones as well. I just hope he finds happiness in whatever he decides to do.