PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

jlai
01-21-2010, 01:24 AM
WHen I saw Johnny's outstanding skates at the GPF I thought he was due for a less-than-stellar skate at nationals. I also thought Jeremy is due for a great one because he started his first gp two weeks later than Johnny.

Back to Johnny: I believe individuals should pursue whatever pursuit that suits their fancy even at the expense of what we normally consider success (e.g. gold medals). Having said that, I do also believe you do have to take ownership of the consequences of such choices, so sometimes I don't get the USFSa-out-to-get-him sentiments.

You know, even if he doesn't win another medal in his career, 3-time national champion and world bronze medalist isn't really that shabby. + he can speak other languages and probably has other areas of strength. I'm sure many skaters would do anything for half of his accomplishments.

Marco
01-21-2010, 02:52 AM
WHen I saw Johnny's outstanding skates at the GPF I thought he was due for a less-than-stellar skate at nationals. I also thought Jeremy is due for a great one because he started his first gp two weeks later than Johnny.

I am so happy for you to have predicted that, 4 days after the event was concluded :P

jlai
01-21-2010, 03:01 AM
I am so happy for you to have predicted that, 4 days after the event was concluded :P

:P I didn't predict anything even though I noticed a trend. I was actually trying my counter-jinx curse on Jeremy the whole time last weekend.

Back to Johnny though. Perhaps we should wait till Vancouver is over before tearing apart his career...

Allskate
01-21-2010, 06:00 PM
I've read the letter but I didn't see the word "jackass" in it. :confused:

I go back and read it again...

You're right. It was the article that referred to him as a jackass. The letter itself merely questioned his strength of character. Still a slam, IMO. I though the letter came across with a very judgmental tone. Personally, I don't think that works with Johnny. In fact, I don't think that approach by animal rights activists works well in general. It comes across as being holier than thou and preaching to the converted. There are better approaches to take. I'm anti-fur, but some of the anti-fur activists turn me off and I tend to think that some of them are more into themselves than they are into the animals.

Anita18
01-25-2010, 07:23 PM
I thought until last Nationals ( one year ago ), Johnnyís 3A was consistent compared with other skaters.

And Buttle was not really consistent , not only 3A but he rarely skated clean both programs until Worlds 2008. And Buttle ended his career with his best performance, so peopleís memory may often be of the closest past performance and so their memory is that his 3A was the most consistent ? I donít think any skaterís 3A looks consistent in my view except maybe Plushenko.
I think the original reply meant that Jeff is better than Johnny at thinking on his feet mid-program. Which is true. Actually Jeff was always better than anyone else at this. :lol: (I still remember that one time when Jeff purposely doubled a lutz or else it wouldn't have counted. Blew my mind.)

It's hard to tell though, obviously the most consistent skaters never have to use this ability. Jeff would mess up jumps regularly and so he had to refine his mental math skills. :P

susan6
01-25-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure if there's a separate thread devoted to Johnny's reality TV show, but Tom and Lorenzo at "Project Rungay" give it major props here:

http://projectrungay.blogspot.com/2010/01/t-lo-recommends-be-good-johhny-weir.html

hailstorm
02-01-2010, 04:07 AM
Apologies if this was posted elsewhere.

Here's an interesting column from Salon (http://www.salon.com/news/olympics/index.html?story=/mwt/feature/2010/01/29/johnny_weir_ice_skating) profiling Johnny. Although it talks a bit about the fur controversy, it's also a wider-ranging piece on him (and a bit on figure skating) as a whole.

A couple of snippets:

So what does Johnny, a man who's nearly quit skating outright, really want, anyway? To be Gaga on blades or taken seriously as athlete?

That's a trick question.

Because Weir seems to be confident that he can be both Ė it's the critics who see his path as a battle between "glitter and gold," the ones who snicker at his disco shtick, who have a problem.

Nobody ever said you can't have the eye of the tiger even if you're dressed like a swan. And what Weir does on ice is utterly unique, often outrageous, and always compelling. He's an athlete and an entertainer, a serious competitor who leaves a devastating trail of glitter in his wake.

slicekw
02-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Whitney Matheson at PopCandy has discovered Johnny (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/popcandy/post/2010/02/on-tv-tonight-be-good-johnny-weir/1)!

shallwedansu
02-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Johnny Weir an athlete (Sun)dancing to a rollicking tune (http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2010/01/johnny-weir-an-athlete-sundancing-to-a-rollicking-tune.html) (Hersh) :shuffle:

The contrast between the Weir who grinds his body to the nub to become a better skater and the Weir who expresses delight after a flawed performance because his costume looked pretty seems even starker after watching the reality series. Lately, the Lady Gaga side of Weir has gained the upper hand, just as it does in the 106-minute movie (``Pop Star on Ice'') that also aired on Sundance.

That is the side of Weir that passes off his weaknesses by saying ``anyone can jump,'' as if his potentially strong artistry should be enough for him to get high scores. The problem is a) this is a sport and b) Weir's recent programs have been less artistically compelling because he has lacked the technical mastery that must accompany the art.

Carolla5501
02-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Poor Johnny, by making himself so "visible" he has also made himself easy to "target" Wonder if he realized that going in to this?

BittyBug
02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Considering his experience the last Olympics, he must have realized the risks associated with being in the spotlight.

manleywoman
02-01-2010, 08:44 PM
i think Hersh has a point there.

Nomad
02-01-2010, 09:08 PM
^ Much as I hate to agree with Hersh, I do, too.

psycho
02-01-2010, 09:50 PM
People were recently saying Weir is not participating in any causes, well look what I found on youtube.:lol: Here's is Johnny reflecting on his own experience with obesity and telling fat kids to stay off the fries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_i0NRyQb4w

What year is he talking about here? I want pictures.:D

igniculus
02-01-2010, 10:17 PM
People were recently saying Weir is not participating in any causes, well look what I found on youtube.:lol: Here's is Johnny reflecting on his own experience with obesity and telling fat kids to stay off the fries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_i0NRyQb4w

What year is he talking about here? I want pictures.:D

Not sure, but thanks for the vid. :cool: