PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rococo
01-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Were you as harsh on Jeremy for his SP at the GPF? Or when Jeremy bombed his other GP events? Were you happy when Johnny didn't pop any jumps at the GPF? People have up and down competitions...look at Lysacek at the last Nationals...who knows how anyone will skate at the Olympics or at any competition. I prefer to take a longer view rather than criticizing a few performances: you win some, you lose some.
I am sorry, if I sounded overly critical (I didn't mean that, probably a language barrier). I am more concerned with Johnny's performance, then with Jeremy's or Evan's, because: 1. I like Johnny. 2. He is always blathering about getting his title back, unlike Jeremy or Evan. I do believe they are happy with their medals, but they look like they go there and skate the best they can (even when making mistakes) while Johnny skates like he is there to prove something, an least it reads like this, thus putting more pressure on himself then necessary. I think this is what's holding him back(IMHO)

hailstorm
01-18-2010, 08:54 PM
I am sorry, if I sounded overly critical

No worries. :) I probably overreacted. I also want Johnny to do well, and I can also see that his programs haven't been as pure as from a few years ago (the programs that Tarasova created for him were the best for him, IMO).

I think he is serious and he does want to do well, but has trouble putting it together mentally (what happened to listening to your headphones and being "on vacation" at competition, Johnny? :) Jeremy was listening to his headphones...you can relax, too). I don't personally think that his persona he presents to the media has much at all, if anything, to do with his seriousness in skating; after all, he's been very low key, it's just with the recent National championships and his reality series kicking off that the media has escalated.

rococo
01-18-2010, 09:10 PM
I don't personally think that his persona he presents to the media has much at all, if anything, to do with his seriousness in skating;

That is my point exactly. The discrepancy between his "real" reality and the one he is trying to project. If he is an aspired showman, he should know that the "put on theatrics" are not as powerful as "genuine life on stage." I really wish he gets it. No matter how much he hates "official" rules and regulations, he is playing this game. Anyway.... GO JOHNNY:cheer2::wall::cheer2:

taylorfax
01-18-2010, 09:17 PM
I do believe they are happy with their medals, but they look like they go there and skate the best they can (even when making mistakes) while Johnny skates like he is there to prove something, an least it reads like this, thus putting more pressure on himself then necessary. I think this is what's holding him back(IMHO)
Rationally, I don't think he can be the same little careless butterfly, so to speak, that he was when he first won his National titles. This is a person who has been attacked on every level possible, personally and every tiny little thing about his skating. And someone who has thought of quitting the sport at least twice in the last 4 years. I think it's remarkable that he keeps on trying and hasn't given up, especially after last year. Which brings me back to the fact that whatever happens, I'm just so glad for him that he can go to Vancouver and get a second chance. :) A roller-coaster career but that much talent can never be counted out.

Maitai
01-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Which Jeff Buttle does very well...but how many others do well consistently?

I thought until last Nationals ( one year ago ), Johnny’s 3A was consistent compared with other skaters.

And Buttle was not really consistent , not only 3A but he rarely skated clean both programs until Worlds 2008. And Buttle ended his career with his best performance, so people’s memory may often be of the closest past performance and so their memory is that his 3A was the most consistent ? I don’t think any skater’s 3A looks consistent in my view except maybe Plushenko.

Tinami Amori
01-18-2010, 09:43 PM
One thing i just don't understand---why does Johnny feel the need to try and come across so Russian ? He was even speaking full Russian at the boards before his skate.We all know his coach speaks English, so if you are an American and representing the USA , i think its wrong to portray otherwise. Don't get me wrong ,i happen to love Russia and Johnny,but if i were the USA fed i would not be to pleased.Any thoughts on this?

He likes “exotic” everything, and Russia is now his “exotic culture” hobby. Before it was Kabbalah…. :lol:

“The Russia” that he is “mystified with” is not the “Cold war -USSR” but the “Nejinski/Nureyev/Petipa/Mariinsky/etc kind of Russia”, the literature, the painted Palekh boxes, the grandeur of Russian Palaces, art, music, etc.

There is nothing wrong with that. Has he instead adopted “as his own” the culture of some other country, one that has no history of confrontations with USA, or one that is “meek and poor and pitied”, there would be no questions about Weir’s patriotism.

If Johnny was into “Monks of Tibet”, or some “Pygmy Tribal Rituals”, he’d be praised for “sympathizing with the forgotten and suppressed”.. .. :D

But the Hegemonic Russia – is a sore in the eye, naturally……. :lol: For some it’s the “Soviet Times and cold war with USA”, and for some it’s “Ballet, Opera, Russian Royalty – how elitist!”.

North Americans did not mind when Yagudin walked around SLC in the Canadian Team Olympic Jacket…. and nobody minds that Russian School of Ice Dance made completely available to their dance teams with significant success results in the last 10 years…

I think I’ll send Johnny a Fed Ex to the rink with some beautiful Russian antique as a congratulation for making the Olympic Team…. And will write my note in Russian…. :D.

libby
01-18-2010, 09:46 PM
He speaks Russian to Galina because her English is not perfect and she speaks Russian to him. That's all there is to it.

It's not an affront to the US, it's not because he loves Russia more than the US and thinks he is Russian, etc. Galina just understands Russian better than English. It's hardly worth worrying about.

HisWeirness
01-18-2010, 09:58 PM
I think I’ll send Johnny a Fed Ex to the rink with some beautiful Russian antique as a congratulation for making the Olympic Team…. And will write my note in Russian…. :D.
He would love that! :D

pennskater
01-18-2010, 11:50 PM
I thought until last Nationals ( one year ago ), Johnny’s 3A was consistent compared with other skaters.

And Buttle was not really consistent , not only 3A but he rarely skated clean both programs until Worlds 2008. And Buttle ended his career with his best performance, so people’s memory may often be of the closest past performance and so their memory is that his 3A was the most consistent ? I don’t think any skater’s 3A looks consistent in my view except maybe Plushenko.

Johnny's 3A is a thing of beauty when he's on, but in the last 2 years, he has been inconsistent with pops. Maybe that's due to his thinking of quitting in the past, and not keeping with it steadily. Buttle was inconsistent as well. And, putting a 3A at the end of a program is insane ... lol ... even for someone like Plushenko. So, I'm very glad he didn't attempt one at the end of the program (to make up for the popped one), and got a high GOE on a 2A at the end instead. That was smart, IMO.

But it seems like 3A is a nemesis for lots of men this year - Evan, Johnny, Chan, Joubert, Lambiel all seem to have issues with it from time to time. Out of all of those, I would bet on Johnny's as being the best and most consistent, so he just needs to work on it and get more clean run throughs of the free. Even Jeremy has had issues with a second 3A, and is going to try to add one for the Oly's, so we will see if he is successful with that.

But Johnny will have to skate clean if he's not putting a quad in (and it seems he's not putting a quad in) if he hopes of getting a medal at the Olys. Plushenko, Jeremy, and others will all have a quad. He will have to hope that they miss it to medal without one. Very possible for that 3rd spot, but unlikely. And Johnny has yet to skate a clean free program in the past year.

IceAlisa
01-19-2010, 12:23 AM
mmmMary wanted to know what else Galina said to Johnny before the free skate. Well, I can barely hear her but she seemed to be saying: "You are strong and you have everything. Don't give anything up, don't be afraid. You understand, yes?"

Again, she was away from the mic so it was hard to make out. The only phrases I am 100% sure about are the last two.

meggonzo
01-19-2010, 12:38 AM
And Johnny has yet to skate a clean free program in the past year.

Didn't he skate clean at GPF?

BittyBug
01-19-2010, 12:48 AM
I don't think this was posted yet - post-event interview with Andrea Joyce (http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/assetid=03078be4-92b9-4b6c-b9f3-56eb019b81ff.html#u+s+nationals+johnny+weir+interv iew).

judiz
01-19-2010, 02:21 AM
One thing i just don't understand---why does Johnny feel the need to try and come across so Russian ? He was even speaking full Russian at the boards before his skate.We all know his coach speaks English, so if you are an American and representing the USA , i think its wrong to portray otherwise. Don't get me wrong ,i happen to love Russia and Johnny,but if i were the USA fed i would not be to pleased.Any thoughts on this?

I seem to remember Johnny saying in a recent article that even though Galina speaks English, she is more comfortable coaching in Russian.

Yazmeen
01-19-2010, 03:00 AM
[QUOTE=pennskater;2566591]Johnny's 3A is a thing of beauty when he's on, but in the last 2 years, he has been inconsistent with pops. But it seems like 3A is a nemesis for lots of men this year - Evan, Johnny, Chan, Joubert, Lambiel all seem to have issues with it from time to time. Out of all of those, I would bet on Johnny's as being the best and most consistent, so he just needs to work on it and get more clean run throughs of the free. Even Jeremy has had issues with a second 3A, and is going to try to add one for the Oly's, so we will see if he is successful with that. QUOTE]

I agree with you on his axel being exquisite when he hits it, however, I don't agree on it being the "best and most consistent." He frankly has the most inconsistent axel of the bunch and the biggest tendency to pop it. I also think it was put best earlier in the statement that he doesn't think on his feet. He needs to do that - think what to do if something doesn't go right at the beginning of the program. I will hark back to Michelle winning over LuLu in 1996 at Worlds by throwing in an extra triple toe at the end of her program when she didn't do the 3toe-3toe earlier. Johnny needs to both learn to have a backup plan for mistakes and to think on his feet. And he also needs to learn the value of combinations. I cannot for the life of me understand how he still can't get the idea of the points importance of a 3-jump combination into his head.

And I agree with Tinami's evaluation of his fascination with all things Russian, and I have no problem with his love for the culture. I have always loved Johnny's skating - his edges are as pure and silent as Kwan's when he is on. I just wish he would put the effort he puts into being original, into his costumes, into his Russian obssession into his actual performances and skating. He is absolutely the most purely talented of all the American skaters, he has the most natural ability and gifts for the sport. Unfortunately, that gift always gets overshadowed by extraneous fluff and his own insecurities. There is so much there if he would just get over the distractions (and quite frankly, over himself at times) and just show his heart and skate.

Marco
01-19-2010, 07:10 AM
I really liked Johnny as a skater. He was different, balletic, un apologetic, talented, innovative, artistic etc etc. But since...eh, 2007? His skating (which is all I really care about TBH) has been stale, obvious, dated and fragile. His CH has been empty and uninspired.

I like mavericks, unique, out there people, but I don't think Johnny Wier is any of that these days. He just comes accross as vacuous, materialistic, vain, arrogant, false and up himself. I wouldn't give a crap about personal traits as long as his skating was special, but...it's really not and I am baffled by the trillions of "Awww I love Johnny" "He's so sweet" comments. He seems to be vanity and self obsession personified.

Am I way wrong?

I agree. His best competitive programs were in 2004 and 2005, plus the Swan in 2006. That's it. Everything since then had been unfitting and/ or boring.