PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

museksk8r
01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Also - Im surprised more people aren't irate over the PCS scores that Evan was gifted with .. compare Bradley, Weir and Lysacek. Bradley and Weir are much lower in EVERY aspect of PCS than Lysacek ... that makes no sense. Bradley's choreography and interpretation should be huge. Weir's skating skills should be huge ...

If it weren't for the huge PCS differences in short and free, the results would have been different.

Oh, plenty of us are irate over his PCS scores, but plenty of us expected that too. That's what being reigning World and GPF champ will do for ya. :blah::rolleyes:

Wiery
01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
I don't think his new costume was particulary "over the top." He has a beautiful neck and shoulders; the shoulder accents seemed to cut the line a bit, but other than that, no objections on my part.

I'm so very happy he made the Olympic team! What an improvement from last year! Congratulations, Johnny Weir!!!!! :kickass:

We don't get Sundance Channel in my area-I'm going to have to wait for DVD! :(

FrouFrou
01-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Also - Im surprised more people aren't irate over the PCS scores that Evan was gifted with .. compare Bradley, Weir and Lysacek. Bradley and Weir are much lower in EVERY aspect of PCS than Lysacek ... that makes no sense. Bradley's choreography and interpretation should be huge. Weir's skating skills should be huge ...

If it weren't for the huge PCS differences in short and free, the results would have been different.

Doesn't Evan always get freebies in the PCS? Bradley's an affable skater, but his skating skills are sloppy. He got decent scores for choreography & interpretation.

The results would have been different, as you stated if it weren't the PCS differences, but I highly doubt the Olympic squad would have been any different.

IceAlisa
01-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Maybe they choose Russian so that everyone won't be able to dissect their every comment ....
I tend to think it's a great competitive move .. no one else knows what they are saying.

Except for us, Russian speakers. ;) In the free skate thread I posted that Galina told him not to give up anything among other things.

pennskater
01-18-2010, 04:39 PM
I also liked his LP costume. The fur was not over the top at all. Gave a nice soft look to depict the angel aspect.
The short costume is definitely eye catching .. lol... and a little out there, but again, I think it's fine. I especially liked the camera close up of his glove with the pink accent on one finger.. that was hysterical. The only thing that is slightly OTT is the pink tassel ...

But I agree - I want to see him do all of his jumps in a long program (or at least maybe only miss one jump like Bradley did - doubled the 3 axel). At least he learned not to try to change his program to try to get that 3axel in later.

mmscfdcsu
01-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Johnny's costumes don't bother me. The time and focus that he puts on them, does. I think that the music is much more important. He makes such poor choices there. What good does a great costume do if you are skating to the theme song from Barney, or other elevator music? :huh:

taf2002
01-18-2010, 05:02 PM
I also liked his LP costume. The fur was not over the top at all. Gave a nice soft look to depict the angel aspect.
The short costume is definitely eye catching .. lol... and a little out there, but again, I think it's fine. I especially liked the camera close up of his glove with the pink accent on one finger.. that was hysterical. The only thing that is slightly OTT is the pink tassel ...

But I agree - I want to see him do all of his jumps in a long program (or at least maybe only miss one jump like Bradley did - doubled the 3 axel). At least he learned not to try to change his program to try to get that 3axel in later.

Johnny has a beautiful 3A so IMO he SHOULD have replaced his 2A with a 3A...that's called thinking on your feet.

taylorfax
01-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Johnny has his own spark, he can execute the same kind of jumps and could be on the top too. What's keeping him?
Gee, I have no idea, maybe you should knock on the door of his brain and find out. ;) I have no idea how these world class athletes accomplish, well, any of what they have accomplished. I just know my own legs would be jelly and I would stroke out.

judgejudy27
01-18-2010, 05:20 PM

While I historically have been far from an Evan fan I have come to appreciate his improvement, longevity and consistency of strong skating for so many years now, his ability to come back and shock people like he did last year, and the attack and confidence had been skating with of late. However I agree he was held up in the scores at Nationals this year. His PCS were very generous compared to both Weir and Bradley's performances in the LP anyway. His ekeing out 2nd in the SP with a botched triple axel over a clean Weir was even perhaps questionable. He definitely got a World Champions boost to his scores, but as others have said that was to be expected I suppose.

museksk8r
01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Johnny has a beautiful 3A so IMO he SHOULD have replaced his 2A with a 3A...that's called thinking on your feet.

. . . and that's exactly what Johnny doesn't do well.

igniculus
01-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Gee, I have no idea, maybe you should knock on the door of his brain and find out. ;)

Would love to do any time. :saint: :grope:

hailstorm
01-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes, of course. I am overreacting. And I hope you're right about "blessing in disguise." They are all great the guys over there, just made the team. ..And I loved what Jeremy did yesterday, but just because I thinnk Jonny is a better skater than Evan, the second place would be a little better for his confidence, and his habit to pop jumps. I wish him the best, really. But no one who wants to medal in Vancouver should give up on his jumps (IMHO)

Were you as harsh on Jeremy for his SP at the GPF? Or when Jeremy bombed his other GP events? Were you happy when Johnny didn't pop any jumps at the GPF? People have up and down competitions...look at Lysacek at the last Nationals...who knows how anyone will skate at the Olympics or at any competition. I prefer to take a longer view rather than criticizing a few performances: you win some, you lose some.

hailstorm
01-18-2010, 07:48 PM

Which Jeff Buttle does very well...but how many others do well consistently?

Pikku Myy
01-18-2010, 08:24 PM
New article here (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2010814635_kelley17.html?syndication=rss)

Steve Kelley: Figure skating's flamboyant Johnny Weir must be taken seriously

rococo
01-18-2010, 08:27 PM
One thing i just don't understand---why does Johnny feel the need to try and come across so Russian ? He was even speaking full Russian at the boards before his skate.We all know his coach speaks English, so if you are an American and representing the USA , i think its wrong to portray otherwise. Don't get me wrong ,i happen to love Russia and Johnny,but if i were the USA fed i would not be to pleased.Any thoughts on this?
His coach's English is not good. So I think it's easier for them to converse in Russian.