PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rococo
01-18-2010, 09:53 AM
See, I just don't consider a couple of mistakes in a high-pressure situation "a crisis", which is what you claim he is having. It's not a crisis. In fact, it could be a blessing in disguise: less pressure for the Olympics, and no US national champ curse in an important year.:P
Yes, of course. I am overreacting. And I hope you're right about "blessing in disguise." They are all great the guys over there, just made the team. ..And I loved what Jeremy did yesterday, but just because I thinnk Jonny is a better skater than Evan, the second place would be a little better for his confidence, and his habit to pop jumps. I wish him the best, really. But no one who wants to medal in Vancouver should give up on his jumps (IMHO)

BittyBug
01-18-2010, 02:23 PM
The Difference Between Glitter and Gold for Johnny Weir (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/18/sports/olympics/19longman.html?emc=tnt&tntemail0=y) (NY Times article)

I'm siding with those who find the new LP costume just too over the top. I thought the old one was perfect - not sure why he felt the need to change it.

ballerynna
01-18-2010, 03:02 PM
The NYT article does make one think. But I need to digest it before I can even think of a coherent, erm, thought. Say what you want about the NYT these days, but that article was actually written well.

Anyway, the new LP costume for me is better than the old. Frankly the old one reminded me of skeletons with the rib thing at the side that always distracted me. I wish the fur wasn't real, and that he used fake white feathers to convey an angel, but people are hard to convince to let go of the fur.

I don't think Johnny's "given up" on skating. Sure he's not on the same level as in 2006, but he's also older. I just feel that now he's more aware of his actions unlike in Torino where he was wont to blame mistakes on something else.

Whatever our perceptions of Johnny, he made it fair and square to the Olympic team. All we have to do is watch him either prove us right or prove us wrong. Personally, I want to see him in that podium.

In the end, I just really would miss Johnny when (and he did say when) he retires after this season. He's really inspired me and got me into skating again.

taylorfax
01-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Am I way wrong?
Way way wrong, bb.

See, I just don't consider a couple of mistakes in a high-pressure situation "a crisis", which is what you claim he is having.
I so agree. I mean holy hell, the pressure. After everything he's been through especially last year, he did himself proud even with a few mistakes. Such a high pressure event for him. (Maybe even moreso than the Olys themselves.)
Not everything is gonna go your way in every single competition. Even though it would seem like from these comments that he's expected to be purely brilliant and flawless all the time. :blah: Hard to live up to that, for anyone.

Anyway, you know it's an Olympic season when you see this much Weir bashing. With all the media and press, everything coming out at the same time, I guess that just feeds it. However, completely unnecessary and unjustified imo.
My advice is, if you feel you're getting overexposed, then just don't read or don't tune in.
Me, I'm loving it. :watch: Can't wait to see the movie finally, and the documentary series.

I loved the ESPN piece so much. He looked so worn down but then so determined and serious. I'm so happy for him that he accomplished his goal in making the Olympic team.

pattycake
01-18-2010, 03:28 PM
One thing i just don't understand---why does Johnny feel the need to try and come across so Russian ? He was even speaking full Russian at the boards before his skate.We all know his coach speaks English, so if you are an American and representing the USA , i think its wrong to portray otherwise. Don't get me wrong ,i happen to love Russia and Johnny,but if i were the USA fed i would not be to pleased.Any thoughts on this?

MissIzzy
01-18-2010, 03:36 PM
He was even speaking full Russian at the boards before his skate.We all know his coach speaks English, so if you are an American and representing the USA , i think its wrong to portray otherwise. Don't get me wrong ,i happen to love Russia and Johnny,but if i were the USA fed i would not be to pleased.Any thoughts on this?

I suspect that, at least, was merely the language they were more comfortable with that moment. I've gotten the impression he knows Russian better than she knows English, so obviously it's more convenient. When you're trying to talk him down from crippling nerves before one of the most important free skates of his life, you're not going to worry about the impressing or not impressing people with your choice of language.:cold:

pennskater
01-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Maybe they choose Russian so that everyone won't be able to dissect their every comment ....
I tend to think it's a great competitive move .. no one else knows what they are saying.

igniculus
01-18-2010, 03:53 PM
The Difference Between Glitter and Gold for Johnny Weir (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/18/sports/olympics/19longman.html?emc=tnt&tntemail0=y) (NY Times article)

Very nice article, thanks for sharing, BittyBug.

But...

Jumps are jumps, and everybody can do those jumps.

Oh yeah? Then BRING THEM ON! I'm so tired of seeing him with this argument. If jumps are not the issue, why does he keep on popping them or leaving them out? :mad:

I'm siding with those who find the new LP costume just too over the top. I thought the old one was perfect - not sure why he felt the need to change it.

I haven't watched it so closely yet. When I first saw it during the broadcast, it made me go WTF. Later, in the first few photos, it looked kinda nice (I have fur though). I have to look for a real close-up.

I suspect that, at least, was merely the language they were more comfortable with that moment. I've gotten the impression he knows Russian better than she knows English, so obviously it's more convenient. When you're trying to talk him down from crippling nerves before one of the most important free skates of his life, you're not going to worry about the impressing or not impressing people with your choice of language.:cold:

ITA.

judgejudy27
01-18-2010, 03:59 PM
With how Evan skated Johnny actually could have won the silver over Evan if he had skated cleanly. He wouldnt have even needed to do the quad either. It was an opportunity missed to atleast stay somewhat closer to Evan and Abbott in the US pecking order going into Vancouver.

taylorfax
01-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Oh yeah? Then BRING THEM ON! I'm so tired of seeing him with this argument. If jumps are not the issue, why does he keep on popping them or leaving them out? :mad:
Jesus. Why so much anger. He thinks leaving a lasting impression with your artistry is harder than just landing jumps. He isn't saying that nailing jumps when it matters isn't difficult. Granted, both are damn hard in nerve-wracking situations like trying to make the Olympic and World team after not making it the year before.

El Rey
Johnny always says that the sport is more than just jumps, but why does he always have such crappy programs? He's such an elegant skater, but to win you need to do more than just have pretty skating. His short program, for example, could have been so much better if he had just used a different arrangement of that song instead of muzak. Even if he skates clean he gets less component scores because his music is always crap.

museksk8r
With how Evan skated Johnny actually could have won the silver over Evan if he had skated cleanly. He wouldnt have even needed to do the quad either. It was an opportunity missed to atleast stay somewhat closer to Evan and Abbott in the US pecking order going into Vancouver.

That's right! It's a real shame Johnny couldn't seize the opportunity and out-skate Evan in the LP at Nationals. His GPF LP skate last month could have done it.

judgejudy27
01-18-2010, 04:10 PM
That's right! It's a real shame Johnny couldn't seize the opportunity and out-skate Evan in the LP at Nationals. His GPF LP skate last month could have done it.

Yeah I agree!

pennskater
01-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Also - Im surprised more people aren't irate over the PCS scores that Evan was gifted with .. compare Bradley, Weir and Lysacek. Bradley and Weir are much lower in EVERY aspect of PCS than Lysacek ... that makes no sense. Bradley's choreography and interpretation should be huge. Weir's skating skills should be huge ...

If it weren't for the huge PCS differences in short and free, the results would have been different.

igniculus
01-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Jesus. Why so much anger. He thinks leaving a lasting impression with your artistry is harder than just landing jumps. He isn't saying that nailing jumps when it matters isn't difficult. Granted, both are damn hard in nerve-wracking situations like trying to make the Olympic and World team after not making it the year before.

Sorry, there was nothing memorable from his LP at Nationals. Only maybe the stomach-wrenching feeling of his fans panicing "will it be enough? please, skategods, let it be enough!" And that was certainly not a good feeling. :blah:

ETA: The thing is, technically, he is not behind Lysacek (and wasn't behind Buttle either). Both won their world titles with a jump content that is the same as Johnny's arsenal. They both added their kind of spart (;)) and won. Johnny has his own spark, he can execute the same kind of jumps and could be on the top too. What's keeping him? We're not asking for multiple quads. Regular triples + charisma = world title in this olympic cycle.