PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

yunasashafan
01-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Yes, it is the same judge, but there was another one who gave him 7.0 for his skating skills. In no way I am an expert, but I would say that his skating skills are a bit better than that. And I am not even his "fan". The judging in this sport is very weird. Skating skills are either there or not. How can they differ from competition to competition?

I agree that scores are sometimes hard to understand. I am no expert and no fan of Johnny either but I appreciate his skating style and fluidity on the ice. Although I think 3.75 is a rather harsh score, I do not think Johnny's program warranted a high (>7) transitions score either. His skating skills, on the other hand, are great and have been fairly scored, I believe, by the same judge.

Sally1214
01-18-2010, 08:08 AM
His SP and LP costumes this season are ridiculous…. He intentionally uses cliché elements from woman’s clothing design, corset, decolette, pinafores ……. I can easily suspect that next will come a bustle or a farthingale…… That’s too much! There is no need to make “gender statements” in an amateur competition.

All I see now is “less” in his skating quality, and “inappropriate more” in his costumes. This does not work well for me at all. If you want to be crazy-weird, first be crazy-great in the primary purpose of an event.

As much as I love Johnny as a personality and person; sadly, I have to agree. I absolutely hated his LP costume. Johnny seriously has to make a distinction of what works "on the fashion runway" and "on the Nationals/Olympics ice." "Appropriate" is the key word in both instances; and, for me, that LP costume was so OTT that it distracted me, at times, from his skating. Johnny is a smart guy; he should be able figure this out. Surely, he doesn't want to turn people off before he even begins to skate because of his costume??? I love you, Johnny, but please be reasonable.

IceJunkie
01-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Well, I am a huge Johnny fan, and as Dick Button once said of Elena Sokolova, he's had a "wonderfully up and down career." As far as his skating, Johnny hasn't created anything remotely wonderful as Otonal, Valse Triste, Rondo Capriccioso or the Swan (one of my favorite SPs of all time) and that was four years ago. I feel creatively and athletically he has declined, while his persona has ballooned. It frustrates me to no end that he never reached his full potential. I don't really care about the costumes, I really don't find any of his costumes ridiculous or over the top to be perfectly honest. Figure skating is like dance - and dance encompasses so many different styles and genres. Still I see what everyone means - the costumes don't really match the performance. Like with The Swan, I thought his outfit was PERFECT. His Fallen Angel outfit? Eh. It's OK.

I just get the sense that Johnny doesn't know what he wants out of his skating. He seems very similar to John Curry in that he sees competition as a means to an end, and that end is professional skating. Johnny talks about how much he enjoys competition, but in my mind he will always be a performance skater. He does want to be a star, that much is for sure, but does he have the goods to back it up? I don't see him in medalling in Vancouver, but I would LOVE more than anything for him to prove me wrong, and I hope he does.

Sally1214
01-18-2010, 08:21 AM
I don't see him in medalling in Vancouver, but I would LOVE more than anything for him to prove me wrong, and I hope he does.

My thoughts exactly.

rococo
01-18-2010, 08:39 AM
My thoughts exactly.

me three. But it is depressing and sad to watch Johnny "barking up the wrong tree." is it a right expression? opposite to let say Lambiel, who is also artistic, and has certain technical difficulties, but has an impeccable sense if time and place, and style, and a serenity about him that make him a sublime pleasure to watch.

yunasashafan
01-18-2010, 08:51 AM
me three. But it is depressing and sad to watch Johnny "barking up the wrong tree." is it a right expression? opposite to let say Lambiel, who is also artistic, and has certain technical difficulties, but has an impeccable sense if time and place, and style, and a serenity about him that make him a sublime pleasure to watch.

me four. It has been really sad to see him stagnate like that. So much untapped potential....

igniculus
01-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Have you (plural) met Johnny?

Yes.

rococo
01-18-2010, 09:18 AM
His couch is not helping him to get trough this crisis (IMHO)
next time you meet him igniculus, tell him to "shut up and skate," if he really wants to medal at oly:mad:

psycho
01-18-2010, 09:21 AM
His couch is not helping him to get trough this crisis (IMHO)
Jesus Christ on a school bus, what crisis? Last time I checked he just made the Olympic team...aren't we being a tad over-dramatic here?:lol:

rococo
01-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Jesus Christ on a school bus, what crisis? Last time I checked he just made the Olympic team...aren't we being a tad over-dramatic here?:lol:

have you seen his skating?

igniculus
01-18-2010, 09:26 AM
next time you meet him igniculus, tell him to "shut up and skate," if he really wants to medal at oly:mad:

Ha, wish I could afford to be that open and honest in his presence. I guess he'd be highly offended if I ever tried that. :)

psycho
01-18-2010, 09:29 AM
have you seen his skating?

Yes. I think it's beautiful. :)

rococo
01-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Ha, wish I could afford to be that open and honest in his presence. I guess he'd be highly offended if I ever tried that. :)

well, if he is truly open and honest himself, he surely appreciates it in other people:revenge:

rococo
01-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Yes. I think it's beautiful. :)

it is. just didn't get him the title that he claimed he wanted. beautiful nevertheless, but with the popped axel that he could have executed as beautifully as the rest.

psycho
01-18-2010, 09:45 AM
it is. just didn't get him the title that he claimed he wanted. beautiful nevertheless, but with the popped axel that he could have executed as beautifully as the rest.

See, I just don't consider a couple of mistakes in a high-pressure situation "a crisis", which is what you claim he is having. It's not a crisis. In fact, it could be a blessing in disguise: less pressure for the Olympics, and no US national champ curse in an important year.:P