PDA

View Full Version : Latest Johnny Weir news & quotes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

poths
01-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Lots of great Johnny photos from tonight:

http://www.daylife.com/search/photos/1/grid?q=spokane+johnny+weir+short
Costume is awful. Seriously..... If a girl wore that she'd be the biggest slut in the sport. What is he thinking? Show my cleavage to the max?

HisWeirness
01-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Costume is awful. Seriously..... If a girl wore that she'd be the biggest slut in the sport. What is he thinking? Show my cleavage to the max?
:rofl: Exactly what my hubby said. ;) I tried to explain, but as usual, to each their own. :)

I think Johnny wanted to look a bit slutty...we could always have Johnny design a similar outfit for Nathalie if you want ;)

mmscfdcsu
01-17-2010, 05:41 PM

It's better than many of his costumes. :slinkaway He is still very young. I wonder if he ever listens to anyone's opinion? :confused:

IceAlisa
01-17-2010, 05:44 PM
What an awesome pic! Johnny is such a super star! (http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0ebX4cU148bzq/610x.jpg) But I agree about the outfit-his worst to date.

poths
01-17-2010, 06:08 PM
I really liked Johnny as a skater. He was different, balletic, un apologetic, talented, innovative, artistic etc etc. But since...eh, 2007? His skating (which is all I really care about TBH) has been stale, obvious, dated and fragile. His CH has been empty and uninspired.

I like mavericks, unique, out there people, but I don't think Johnny Wier is any of that these days. He just comes accross as vacuous, materialistic, vain, arrogant, false and up himself. I wouldn't give a crap about personal traits as long as his skating was special, but...it's really not and I am baffled by the trillions of "Awww I love Johnny" "He's so sweet" comments. He seems to be vanity and self obsession personified.

Am I way wrong?

mmscfdcsu
01-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Am I way wrong?

I'm still a Johnny Uber, but I get very frustrated with the lack of maturity and development of his skating. He had such potential when he showed us "Valse Triste" and "Rondo Capriccioso". Since then, artistically, it is stagnant, in my opinion. His music choices are not the best. The public persona does not bother me. I pretty much ignore it. I have no interest in seeing the movie or tv series. The only reason for me to watch is if there is good skating photography. I have no interest whatever in clothes, shopping, makeup or Pop Culture. Still, I wish him well. I will always wonder what might have been. :(

shallwedansu
01-17-2010, 06:22 PM
I really liked Johnny as a skater. He was different, balletic, un apologetic, talented, innovative, artistic etc etc. But since...eh, 2007? His skating (which is all I really care about TBH) has been stale, obvious, dated and fragile. His CH has been empty and uninspired.

I like mavericks, unique, out there people, but I don't think Johnny Wier is any of that these days. He just comes accross as vacuous, materialistic, vain, arrogant, false and up himself. I wouldn't give a crap about personal traits as long as his skating was special, but...it's really not and I am baffled by the trillions of "Awww I love Johnny" "He's so sweet" comments. He seems to be vanity and self obsession personified.

Am I way wrong?
Not in the least. :slinkaway

igniculus
01-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I wonder if he ever listens to anyone's opinion? :confused:

No, probably not. Not even voice of some kind of reason. And people still this trait in him attractive - which is a mystery for me. :(

Am I way wrong?

No, I think that's a very honest and good point, and I really agree with most of it. God forbid I say any "bad" opinion or else I'll be whacked again by his :yikes: fans, but I do feel we rarely get to see what the person Johnny Weir really is. Is he really the nice, down-to-earth person, who is always kind with the fans? Is he just pretending and looks down on everyone? Is he only caring about money, fame, luxury and diva lifestyle? One can never know because he shows a different face every time and one is scratching the head to find out which face is the real one. This is not about a colorful personality. Some of it is acting, faking, and you never know which one.

When I watched and praised the recent ESPN interview, I was so touched by the "normal" Johnny there (despite what people think about getting pedicure and manicure in such a :glamor: studio). The calmness in his voice and reasoning was so appealing that I wish he'd act more like that. Because it brings his persona so much closer to a viewer, you get the "aww, he is just like everyone else, one of us" feeling. But maybe he does not want to be percieved that way. :(

And there are also moments when you are angry with him, his bitchings or diva attitude and still... :saint: when you meet him and he looks at you... :saint: somehow you just can't feel angry anymore. He makes you forget. He is a HEAVENLY CREATURE! :lol: :drama:

HisWeirness
01-17-2010, 06:30 PM
I have also been disappointed by some of Johnny's choices of music and choreo for his programs over the last few years, but I really respect him as a person and get a kick out of his persona(s).

mmscfdcsu
01-17-2010, 06:31 PM
When I watched and praised the recent ESPN interview, I was so touched by the "normal" Johnny there (despite what people think about getting pedicure and manicure in such a :glamor: studio). The calmness in his voice and reasoning was so appealing that I wish he'd act more like that. Because it brings his persona so much closer to a viewer, you get the "aww, he is just like everyone else, one of us" feeling. But maybe he does not want to be percieved that way. :(

And there are also moments when you are angry with him, his bitchings or diva attitude and still... :saint: when you meet him and he looks at you... :saint: somehow you just can't feel angry anymore. He makes you forget. He is a HEAVENLY CREATURE! :lol: :drama:

But the public persona that he is trying to cash in on makes me think more of an adolescent Toller Cranston wannabe. :(

Lilac
01-17-2010, 06:48 PM

Am I way wrong?

I met and spoke with Johnny several times and I want to say that you are absolutely wrong. He`s the very good, clever, very kind man as I see him.
I could say much more good words aboud Johnny if I know English well.

manleywoman
01-17-2010, 07:01 PM
I have to agree with mmfsc and poths. I loved Johnny pre-2006. Now I feel he's all talk and no action (2nd after the SP in Torino, then what happened?). Lots of bluster now, not unlike Dennis Rodman or Bode Miller. I wish they'd all put their egos aside, shut up, and just play their sport. Once you've earned the accolades, THEN you can be as much of a pop star as you like (like muhammed Ali). But until you can back up the ego and narcisissm with the sports ability, why should anyone listen to you?

Sending PETA a postcard like that is just asking for attention. And not the kind that focuses on his skating ability.

Johnny, you're an awesome skater. So just skate, and be smart about the math with your combos please!!!!!!

poths
01-17-2010, 07:07 PM
"Valse Triste" and "Rondo Capriccioso".
They were absolutely sublime programs. When compared to Otonal and this years tripe..... I'm :fragile:

This is probably very harsh, but I think his career may be over in about 2 hours anyway.

judiz
01-17-2010, 07:54 PM
The best story I can relate is the first time I met Johnny was after a show at the Ice Vault. I was so nervous all I could do was stammer out a few words and ask for a photo. My son took the picture but when I walked away to check the photo, I discovered that my son had cut off mine and Johnny's heads. Johnny saw me checking the picture, came over to me and asked me if the photo came out okay. When I said no, he offered to pose for the camera again. He didn't have to do that, he could had just continued to pose for photos and sign autographs for the others who were waiting but he didn't and that is the Johnny I will always remember.

hailstorm
01-17-2010, 07:58 PM
I view his more "outrageous" or colorful persona as more of a marketing decision than anything else, much the same way contestants on a reality show play up certain aspects of their personality to get more attention on the show and in the future on other shows or in the media. Although this often backfires for reality show contestants, sometimes it works in their favor, and it has worked for Johnny insofar as it got him a documentary and his own reality show series.

Is it "fake" or is it really him? I don't know, and I don't know that it really matters. Don't we all act differently depending on the context we're in? For instance, I'll act one way around my parents, another way around my boss, another way around my coworkers, another way around my friends, etc., and none of them are exactly fake, just different aspects of myself; Johnny's persona is just an amplified variation on that, IMO.

This is probably very harsh, but I think his career may be over in about 2 hours anyway.

He could succumb to his nerves, as he has done since his Olympic LP in 2006, but I don't think he will today, I hope--he's very well-trained and in a position to skate well; he's acknowledged that he leaves out combos, so I hope he'll put them all in today.

And while I hate his short program music, I can't fault him for choosing Ennio Morricone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ennio_Morricone), among other music, for his long. No, Morricone isn't Saint-Saens, but he's well-respected among many. And Johnny is hardly the only one to have questionable music choice, unfortunately--why must so many skate to Mvrica?