PDA

View Full Version : Fragrance of the Day...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

mila19
01-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Has anybody tried JPG "Madame"?
I quite like it but I'm afraid it has no staying power since it's eau de toilette.

paulac
01-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Parfum Sacre by Caron

IceAlisa
01-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Parfum Sacre by Caron

Please describe. Thank you. :)

pumba
02-01-2010, 02:18 AM
Inspiration - Lacoste

paulac
02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Please describe. Thank you. :)
It's a wonderful fragrance, warm & slightly sweet, but not sickly. It's a slightly spicy rose with a touch of incense. There's a hint of greasepaint or playdough in the opening notes.

Hindernisse
02-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I tried for the second time Un Jardin Apres la Mousson by Hermes on Saturday, quite liked it and think of buying it. But I've still have an almost full bottle of Un Jardin sur le Nil. I generally like this Hermes series for being sophisticated, fresh and not heavy.

TygerTyger
02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Wow. You ladies are so knowledgeable.

I currently wear only Veil by Very Wang, Chanel #19, and Tresor'.
However, I'm looking to expand my horizons, and would like find something ( or possibly several somethings) less floral, and more musky (but still feminine.)
I dislike the smell of Vanilla, and anything that smells too much like men's aftershave.
Also, I am 34, and would like to avoid anything too dated - or too young.

The department stores here in town are rather ghetto - so there are some things that I may not be able to sample. But if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them :)

IceAlisa
02-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Wearing Lolita Lempicka today, the original. Makes me happy. :swoon:

TygerTyger, you can check out its sister, Fleur Defendue or the Forbidden Flower at Nordstrom or Sephora. The original LL has vanilla in its base but the FF does not.

Here are the notes in FF per Sephora:
Absinth Flower, Strawberry Leaf, Mimosa Stem, Peony, Violet, Aniseed Flower, Almond Musk, Morello Cherry Musk. It's a bit floral but it's NOT your typical floral. I cannot stand florals but this one is very different.

Also, check out Hanae Mori available at same locations. Notes per Sephora:
Strawberries, Bilberries, Black Currant, Bulgarian Rose, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Sandalwood, Almond, Praline.

This is lovely and feminine. Not a floral and has no vanilla in it.

Finally, check out Elle by Yves Saint Laurent.

Very feminine and has a musky drydown:
Notes per fragrantica: Its heart unites Jasmine Sambac, rose and freesia, with youthful accords of pink berries, while a base caresses woody notes of vetiver, patchouli, and cedar.

The patchouli, cedar and vetiver are extremely well behaved and mild. You will be left with very light sweetness with a touch of spice. It's very well balanced, not a teeny bopper scent but not a church lady scent either. And the sum of its parts is not a floral despite having some flowers in it.

TygerTyger
02-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Ah - the nearest Nordstrom or Sephora is hundreds of miles away :(
We do have a very small and meager Macey's - perhaps I will be able to sample your suggestions there?

IceAlisa
02-01-2010, 09:09 PM
You may be able to find Elle there but I am not sure. Others I have not seen there. But remember that you can order them all online from Sephora and returns are free, even if you open them.

TygerTyger
02-02-2010, 12:46 AM
... returns are free, even if you open them.

Good point :)

Have you (or anyone else) tried Vera Wang's Bouquet?

IceAlisa
02-02-2010, 12:53 AM
No, it's a floral and I stay away from florals. But I have to say the notes sound very intriguing.

My mom has Vera Wang Veil, a white floral and I cannot stand it. Made a deal with her that she'd only wear it when she is not planning on seeing me. Instant headache. :drama:

ETA: when trying on a fragrance, give it at least 30 minutes to determine whether you like it on your skin and let it go through all it's phases of the drydown. Don't do the paper strips. Everyone wears perfume differently so you have to give it a chance to interact with your chemistry.

paulac
02-02-2010, 09:48 AM
In Knize Ten today, from a sample. It's quite masculine, but I like it!

Ajax
02-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Wearing Daisy by Marc Jacobs. It's a pretty light floral fragrance - I'm not into very heavy scents. The bottle is awesome, the cap has giant plastic daisies on it :)
My old standby is the green DKNY Be Delicious. Smells exactly like a Granny Smith apple and I love it! I wear it so much that people tell me if they smelled it without seeing me they'd know it was me coming :)

TygerTyger
02-02-2010, 04:38 PM
My mom has Vera Wang Veil, a white floral and I cannot stand it. Made a deal with her that she'd only wear it when she is not planning on seeing me. Instant headache. :drama:

The Gardenia is my least favorite part. Is that what makes Veil a "white floral"?