PDA

View Full Version : Fragrance of the Day...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

nubka
01-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Heading off to watch the skaters practice in Hollywood Pink...:)

IceAlisa
01-15-2010, 03:00 AM
What surprises me, pumba is that I don't know anyone who likes No. 5, let alone wears it. Not my age, not younger and not older. The Russian ladies of my mom's age all wear Climat by Lancome (thank goodness, I adore it) but no one I know wears No. 5.

And that's a good thing. No offense to the fans of Chanel.

My Fleur Defendue arrived today and I just love it! It's very much like the original but dialed back on the licorice a bit. :swoon:

Heading off to watch the skaters practice in Hollywood Pink...:)

Lucky you! Tell us all about it in the voids thread! :)

pumba
01-15-2010, 04:39 AM
BTW talking about Climat - unfortunately what is being sold now has nothing to do with the old edition. My mom also had this perfume (not because she particulaly liked that, but because there was no a great choice in USSR that time, so that many had Climat, JaiOse, Creation, Poeme, Poison, or Fidji no matter they liked those or not) and we still have that old bottle, and I can assure you that Climat that is currently prodused is just a parody for one that had been done say 20 years ago.
Its definitely not the most popular or commonly used fragrance in Russian and in reatail shops you will see maybe 1-2 familiar blue boxes at the very bottom of Lancome stands. Primarily those who are nostalgic or young enough not to ever smell the older version wear it.

IceAlisa
01-15-2010, 04:49 AM
Saks carried Climat for a while in a new white packaging and it was exactly the same thing as I remember in the 70s. Unfortunately, it seems it's been discontinued for good. I don't think Climat is being currently produced or at least imported here in the US. Good thing my mom stocked up.
Climat is just magical and defies description. :swoon:

As to the old scents, I remember EVERYONE wearing Poison in the 80s. I really liked it at the time but now think it's too strong and heavy. My mom had J'ai Osť but I really didn't care for it.

pumba
01-15-2010, 06:02 AM
ooh, I remember I spilled the J'aiOse when I was 3-4 y.o. To say that it was a tragedy - to say nothing :D

What I don't understand about the modern perfumery is that WHY are they discontinuing fragrances?? And it's not just a limited editions (which can be outstanding as well) but fragrances with character and no equivalent, which sound modern and magnetic and have their own face.

Mahora (Guerlain), Eden, LouLou (both Cacharel), Meteorites - Guerlain (!!:(!!), Remember Me (CD) (limited edition) - just to name a few - all fragrances that I adore and which can be bought only on the Internet now.
I am not talking on niche or selective perfumery, but there are/were masterpieces in the mass production as well.

God! They eliminated Les Belles, and what is left from Nina Ricci now? - numerous repetitions of Nina New (the apples of all coloures but the same smell), and Premier Jour (the most common items in perfum stores).
I've heard Dior was planning to discontinue Poison Tendre - this will be a biiiig mistake.
The house of Fendi is closing (closed) their perfume line, so I'm already missing my Palazzo.

Its not just of selfish reasons but for the art's sake :D they can not, simply ca not deprive the world of it's masterpieces.

IceAlisa
01-15-2010, 07:41 AM
I am sure financial considerations are the major reason. May be the companies are losing money on these fragrances. For instance Dior Addict is a bestseller so you probably will not hear of it being discontinued in the near future.

Speaking of bestsellers: lots and lots of Russian gals in their 30s here in the US are nuts for Thierry Mugler's Angel. They buy it by the gallon. Must be a European thing since it's in the top 5 bestseller list in France. It's too strong for me as well as being not my cup of tea in general. What do people think of Angel?

Lucky for me Lolita Lempicka sells very well at this point in time, as well as my other favorites, including Flowerbomb, Pink Sugar and Comptoir Sud Pacifique Eaux de Voyages.

pumba
01-15-2010, 08:52 AM
I'd sell the formula and design rights (temporarily) to a less famous brand thus would earn money and save the perfume :). I don't mind the bottle to look different, or it has a changed name, but I guess the price would have been lower as well, due to a less promoted brand name. Well, my strategy may be economically disasterous, but at least I can dream :)

Being a fan of Lolita Lempicka (all possible variants), I'd rather agree with a common statement that creators of this perfume borrowed something/ a lot from Angel. I do not have Angel in my collection, but I guess if there was no Lempicka I would have certainly had it. I don't know why it is so popular though...maybe it is a magic of its name (sounds flattering :D) ?

Do you think Flowerbomb is a less strong perfume than Angel? ;)

BTW, in Russia we also had an "Angel" epidemic, but that was caused by Chanel Chance (a promosing name as well), Chanel Mademoiselle and Armani Code.
Though I like the first 2 options, the way these aromas sounded from every corner during the summer no matter how hot it is: in subway, in a supermarket, or on the beach, and the ladies who wore those most of the times lets say - did not belong to the target group and represented an opposite image to ladies advertising these scents on posters (i.e. Al Bundy's wife at best) - all this was making me feel sick. And when a lady is pouring herself with Armani Code (which by itself is not my cup of tea) then smokes a cigarette and then pours one more time - well I usually try to escape this place.
This winter we survived the Guerlain Insolence epidemic.

Seems like we are the only respondents in this thread, IceAlisa :D

Sunshine Lizzie
01-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Klein - Contradiction :swoon:

paulac
01-15-2010, 03:05 PM
In Parfum Sacre by Caron today.
Regarding Angel, I can't wear it as it makes me nauseus, but I've smelt it on others and liked it.
Chanel No. 5 is not a fragrance I own, but I don't dislike it. I would associate it with older women.

nubka
01-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Hollywood Pink again for me today (I've only brought two fragrances with me to Nationals...:()

Prancer
01-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Speaking of bestsellers: lots and lots of Russian gals in their 30s here in the US are nuts for Thierry Mugler's Angel. They buy it by the gallon. Must be a European thing since it's in the top 5 bestseller list in France. It's too strong for me as well as being not my cup of tea in general. What do people think of Angel?

:scream:

Lucky for me Lolita Lempicka sells very well at this point in time

Interesting that you like LL so much, as LL is considered one the "children" of Angel; it has a similar base but is more floral.

IceAlisa
01-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Interesting that you like LL so much, as LL is considered one the "children" of Angel; it has a similar base but is more floral.

I see no similarities. You have to remember that the drydown is different on everyone but with Angel I couldn't even get past the top notes.

pumba: Flowerbomb on me dries down in about a minute to a very soft, sweet and warm vanilla. The top notes to me are not to strong and certainly don't even approach Angel.

Prancer
01-15-2010, 05:44 PM
I see no similarities. You have to remember that the drydown is different on everyone but with Angel I couldn't even get past the top notes.

Yes, that's what LL did--they toned down some of the more jarring notes and upped the florals. Otherwise, it's very similar to Angel and was criticized when it first came out because of the similarities.

Flowerbomb is another one that is considered spawn of Angel, although it's a more distant relation.

Are you sure you don't like Angel? :P

IceAlisa
01-15-2010, 10:34 PM
I sniffed Angel recently in a store just to see if my taste has changed (since my preferences had been evolving over the years--the original LL sent me running in my early 20s) but nope, no go.

There is one more fragrance that I adore on my mom mostly because it doesn't work with my chemistry, that is considered an Angel spawn ;)--Sonia Rykiel, the original. Vanilla and caramel base with very fleeting fruit on top and extremely well-behaved flowers in the middle.
I guess I love the kids but not the daddy.

pilgrimsoul
01-16-2010, 12:56 AM
I rarely wear fragrance, but recently caught a trace of Clinique Happy Heart on someone I was riding the elevator with and liked it so much, I had to ask her what it was called. It's a clean scent but a little sweet as well. Just the teensiest dab on my wrist and it keeps me in a carefree mood all day!