PDA

View Full Version : Fragrance of the Day...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

mila19
01-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Lancome's fragrances are the epitome of reeking of "old ladies at church." :yikes: :scream: . Cannot stand any of them.
Is Miracle an exemption? :shuffle:

pumba
01-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Surely it is!
Miracle + its numerous later sweeter incarnations, plus my beloved Mille and Une Roses, and I can't imagine Hypnose in a church, really :yikes:

Thanks to nubka, I was in Kingdom today.
Planning for the Dune for tomorrow.

nubka
01-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Lancome's fragrances are the epitome of reeking of "old ladies at church." :yikes: :scream: . Cannot stand any of them.

Somehow, I jut can't picture an old church lady wearing O de Lancome. It starts out with an uber-blast of sharp lemon pledge :yikes:, but once the top notes wear off, it's quite nice and citrusy green.:yikes: Strong, long-lasting sillage. Nothing frumpy or floral about it.

Definately not for the faint-of-heart-I-only-wear-light-fragrance-types. :D

nubka
01-10-2010, 05:55 PM
L'Artisan Timbuktu for me today...:)

IceAlisa
01-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Somehow, I jut can't picture an old church lady wearing O de Lancome. It starts out with an uber-blast of sharp lemon pledge :yikes:, but once the top notes wear off, it's quite nice and citrusy green.:yikes: Strong, long-lasting sillage. Nothing frumpy or floral about it.

Definately not for the faint-of-heart-I-only-wear-light-fragrance-types. :D

My bad, I forgot about this one :shuffle: and that I wore Tresor in my early 20s.

O de Lancome is actually quite nice and smells like lemon tea. I gave it to my mom once.

Today Chocolovers by Aquolina. Hate the vapid name and bottle but love the fragrance.

nubka
01-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Mmmmmm...Chocolovers is cozy, and I even like the cute red hearts on the bottle. Is it just me, or do I detect a faint orange note amid the chocolate?

Which do you like better from Aqualina line: Chocolovers, Pink Sugar, or Blue Sugar?

Jem X
01-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Amazing Grace from Philosophy today.

IceAlisa
01-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Mmmmmm...Chocolovers is cozy, and I even like the cute red hearts on the bottle. Is it just me, or do I detect a faint orange note amid the chocolate? Yes, one of the top notes is definitely oranges. It gets fainter with drydown.

Which do you like better from Aqualina line: Chocolovers, Pink Sugar, or Blue Sugar?

Pink Sugar for sure. It is such an Italian scent. So epicurean and indulgent. :swoon: Which one do you like?

Amazing Grace from Philosophy today. I have their Unconditional Love which is known as the Purple Sugar. :)

Cyn
01-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Is Miracle an exemption? :shuffle:

:lol: Miracle is definitely one of the few exceptions. It's by far lighter than most of Lancôme's fragrances, and while it smells great on some people, it reacts horribly with my skin's chemistry and smells terrible whenever I try to wear it :scream: . They used to also have Miracle Forever (one of my close girlfriends lurves this one) and Miracle So Magic, but both of those have been discontinued.

.....I wore Tresor in my early 20s.

I also wore Trésor for a while (in my early 20s as well :lol: ), along with Dune - IIRC, the notes in both of those fragrances were similar. The Trésor came as part of a Purchase w/ Purchase, and the Dune was a gift from an then-lover, but I didn't like either fragrance enough to keep wearing them, so I ditched both (as well as the then-lover, for that matter :lol: ) and began my 10-year relationship with Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan.

Somehow, I jut can't picture an old church lady wearing Ô de Lancôme. It starts out with an uber-blast of sharp lemon pledge :yikes:, but once the top notes wear off, it's quite nice and citrusy green.:yikes: Strong, long-lasting sillage.

Ô de Lancome is actually quite nice and smells like lemon tea. I gave it to my mom once.

:lol: I've never sampled Ô de Lancôme before, but lemon Pledge? Lemon tea? That's a seriously strong top note, even after it softens and diffuses in the air. My sister gave me a rather large bottle of SugarBath™ Lemon body lotion, but every time I've used it after a bath, I smell like I've been marinating in a vat of Minute Maid Frozen Lemonade Concentrate :scream: . It sucks, because I love citrusy smells (especially grapefruit) and have candles with citrus scents, but it's impossible for me to wear any of them.

(re: my 'old ladies at church' comment)

Nothing frumpy or floral about it.

This is JMO, but I have a feeling that most everyone here has a different take on what comprises the "Old Ladies at Church" smell. It's often associated with heavy floral (especially rose) or powdery notes, but the fragrance/odor that comes to my mind is completely different.

For me, the OLAC scent is a combination of several different parfums faded together. It would be something like filling a trunk or armoire with clothes sprayed with the likes of Hypnôse, Chanel No. 5 (or Joy by Jean Patou), Paloma Picasso, Eau de Soir, Magie Noire, White Diamonds, Poême, Shalimar, Youth Dew, etc., toss in a few moth balls for good measure, and then closing it up for a long period of time. Once re-opened, all those scents would have melded together as well as turning stale and acquiring a dusty, old smell. Because most of the fragrances in that mish-mash are heavy, overpowering, and spicy in and of themselves, the combination of them (even faded) could shock the olfactory senses of a buzzard :yikes: .

IMO, Magie Noire is by far the most vile of any fragrance by Lancôme. If I smell it on anyone, it makes me queasy, but when I was pregnant? The smallest whiff of it sent me running to the loo :yikes: :scream: . It was (mercifully) discontinued last year, along with Poême and the two offshoots of Miracle.

Since this thread is about fragrances, could someone please explain the appeal of most of the Chanel parfums? They're almost revered when it comes to scents, but for the most part, I cannot stand them -- I can tolerate Chance Eau Fraîche, and I adore Chanel No.19, but No. 5, Coco, Allure, and Chance? :blah: Fuggidaboudit. What's :wall: :mad: is that it's pretty much impossible to find No. 19 in any department store anymore, so unless I order it from their website or go to a Chanel store, I'm screwed on getting a new bottle :( .

nubka
01-11-2010, 03:06 AM
I have their Unconditional Love which is known as the Purple Sugar. :)

Oooooooh, Purple Sugar! What does it smell like?

I actually like Chocolovers more than Pink Sugar, but Pink Sugar has a lot better staying power on my skin. Chocolovers fades on me very quickly. :(

As for old lady fragrances, I have found that my 18 year-old daughter thinks that most of my chypres are "old ladyish." Maybe it's the oakmoss?

slicekw
01-11-2010, 03:31 AM
Amazing Grace from Philosophy today.

Here too. It's one of the few fragrances I can stand besides plain vanilla. And it gets tons of compliments. Not to mention that the lotion is to die for.

IceAlisa
01-11-2010, 03:39 AM
You know what, I am confusing O de Lancome with some other Lancome fragrance because I remember the bottle was similar but purple in color. Does anyone know what it is? Some kind of Eau Fraiche variant? The one I remember was super mild otherwise I'd never let my mom wear it.

ITA with Cyn about Chanel. I don't like any of them although I somehow ended up owning Allure at some point but never wore it. I don't get it.

nubka, Unconditional Love is by Philosophy and is a sweet gourmand. There is some very fleeting fruit on top which dries down to very lovely candy, berries and vanilla. It reminds me a lot of Pink Sugar but less complex. The juice is purple in a clear bottle which is why some refer to it as Purple Sugar.

Pink Sugar is delightful. It's sweet but it also has a darker, sophisticated note. Chocolovers stays put pretty well on me but I am not in the mood for it as often as I am for Pink Sugar. The key with Pink Sugar is a tiny tiny amount in application otherwise it ends up rather strong. Chocolovers you can pile on more liberally.

IceAlisa
01-11-2010, 04:01 AM
I think it may have been Aroma Something (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R8UJGK/ref=asc_df_B000R8UJGK1001764?smid=A3UBCJG9C9FTGD&tag=nextag-hpc-mp01-delta-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000R8UJGK). Sorry for the double post.

nubka
01-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Pink Sugar for me today...at least so far! :)

Cyn
01-11-2010, 03:34 PM
"Lauren" by Ralph Lauren for me today - I love the orange blossom note within it, and as it wears during the day, it retains a clean, floral smell that is light.