PDA

View Full Version : Fragrance of the Day...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28

IceAlisa
06-23-2010, 01:41 AM
It's Ah-nah-EES. How else do people pronounce it?

Prancer
06-23-2010, 01:47 AM
It's Ah-nah-EES.

THANK YOU. Hello, Greek nymph, so beautiful that people said her name twice.

How else do people pronounce it?

Ah-nay. :yikes:

IceAlisa
06-23-2010, 01:51 AM
:lol:

It is a pretty name, used to be really popular in France.

The "" probably confused people.

my little pony
06-23-2010, 01:51 AM
I know someone who swears it is "anay anay." I found a tv commercial for it online with the proper pronunciation and she said, "it would have cost them too much money to redo it the right way."

cruisin
06-23-2010, 01:55 AM
I know people who insisted it was pronounced Ah-nees. I would mention that there is an "a" there, but they said it was silent :lol:. I did think the "s" was silent, though. As in Ah-nah-ee. I assumed it was a French silent "s".

IceAlisa
06-23-2010, 01:55 AM
Hee hee. OK, it's not nice to laugh but I had no idea this name caused so much confusion. cruisin, in French a lot of word endings, including -s are usually silent unless they are used in a liaison, meaning followed by a vowel.

Prancer
06-23-2010, 02:10 AM
It is a pretty name, used to be really popular in France.

Yes, and people think they are giving it a French pronunciation. And when I say "umlaut," no one knows what I mean or why it matters.

I know someone who swears it is "anay anay." I found a tv commercial for it online with the proper pronunciation and she said, "it would have cost them too much money to redo it the right way."

:eek: Was her name Susie? Because there can't be two of them.

Hee hee. OK, it's not nice to laugh but I had no idea this name caused so much confusion.

Behold: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/416970

IceAlisa
06-23-2010, 02:20 AM
It reminds me of the Ver-SAH-CHE vs. VersACE (as in ace of spades) situation in Showgirls.

my little pony
06-23-2010, 02:21 AM
:eek: Was her name Susie? Because there can't be two of them.

no, Priscilla. there's at least 2 of everything. or as my nana would say, every pot has a lid.

cruisin
06-23-2010, 02:30 AM
It reminds me of the Ver-SAH-CHE vs. VersACE (as in ace of spades) situation in Showgirls.

Ah, but that's because we know that the "c" in Versace is pronounced "ch" because it is Italian. The number 5 in Italian, cinque, is pronounced chin-quay :). I'm good with Spanish and Italian pronunciations, French, not so much :lol:.

The best, though, is my friend from NY, who lives in KY, and I always laugh when she tells me that people from Versailles, KY say they are from Ver-sales. :lol:

I wonder if they wear Vers-ace in Ver-sales? :lol:

Cyn
06-23-2010, 02:31 AM

That's one of my favorite lines to quote from movies :rofl: . My sister and I use it all the time when whenever we go shopping :lol: .

IceAlisa
06-23-2010, 02:39 AM
I wonder if they wear Vers-ace in Ver-sales? :lol:

No, in Versa-LEES they were CHANel (as in channel) and the ah-nay ah-nay perfume.

Prancer
06-23-2010, 02:57 AM
The best, though, is my friend from NY, who lives in KY, and I always laugh when she tells me that people from Versailles, KY say they are from Ver-sales. :lol:

Um, they are. They say that in Versailles, Ohio, too, and the pronunciation was a deliberate choice. And there's a Russia, Ohio that's pronounced RueShee, but that was a deliberate change of pronunciation during the Cold War.

And then we have Bellefontaine (bell fountain) and Lima (lie muh), which was named after Lima, Peru.

But give us a Native American Wapakoneta and it rolls right off the tongue.

And they definitely don't wear in Versace in Versailles, Russia, Bellefontaine, Lima or Wapakoneta :P.

vesperholly
06-23-2010, 01:41 PM

My favorite ever was when my BFF came to school in NE Ohio and pronounced Akron as Ache-RON. And she's from Wisconsin, land of the Native American names! :rofl: We've got loads of crazy names in WNY: Tonawanda, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Cheektowaga, Depew (Dah-PYOO), and my personal favorite, Scajaquada.

Aaaaanyways, I just tried on Burberry The Beat in Sephora the other day and I love it! I've been using the same two perfumes for years (FCUK and Fresh Sugar Lychee) and I desperately need an upgrade. When I was at the mall, I also wandered into The Body Shop and reminisced about their perfume oils. I was obsessed with Ananya and Leap when I was in high school. I wish they'd bring them back!

cruisin
06-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Um, they are. They say that in Versailles, Ohio, too, and the pronunciation was a deliberate choice. And there's a Russia, Ohio that's pronounced RueShee, but that was a deliberate change of pronunciation during the Cold War.

And then we have Bellefontaine (bell fountain) and Lima (lie muh), which was named after Lima, Peru.

And they definitely don't wear in Versace in Versailles, Russia, Bellefontaine, Lima or Wapakoneta :P.

Whether or not it's a deliberate pronunciation, it's still funny to those who know how it is pronounced in the original language.

In NJ we say Newark - New-erk, In DE they say New-ark. They say it right in DE. That doesn't change the way we say it in NJ, but we're wrong.

Something I've always wondered about: Why do we have different names for foreign countries and cities? Eg: Why do we call Italia Italy? Why do we call Firenze Florence? Why do we call Espana Spain? Why don't we just call them by their rightful names? this is not just in English, every language has a version of country/city names that are not what they are called in that place. It seems odd that it's not standardized.