PDA

View Full Version : Fragrance of the Day...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

pumba
02-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Please describe Samsara to us. It's been a long time since I sniffed it at a department store and have no memory of it.

Well I am not good in creating colourful descriptions of perfumes, I just like some and dislike others. It is more on a physical and emotional than artistic level for me :).
Some compare Samsara with salted blood, others with cotton candy, but for me it is closer to tulip stamens :). There is definitely something otherwordly and intimate about this perfume. I percept it as something only for me, that is not aimed at provocating, or seducing, or stating anything at all. So probably when someone wants to stay alone with himself (not because everyone ran away trying to escape the odour) this is the right choice.
I would not call it vintage, since it is relatively new, but I am agree that pouring oneself with it evey day is no good :). No matter how sophisticated or elite a perfume is - when it is worn for all possible occasions - the flair disappears and what is worse - it becomes annoying.

IceAlisa
02-09-2010, 05:22 AM
That's an interesting perspective. Made me think of this article on how to smell perfume. (http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Makeup-Skin-Care/The-Scent-Detective-How-to-Sniff-Out-Fragrances/Notes-on-Perfume-The-Art-to-Smelling-Perfume-ELLE)

Given that the smell center is right next to the memory and emotion center in the brain, it only makes sense that certain scents evoke memories and emotions.

Tomorrow I think I will be in the mood for Lolita Lempicka, either the original or L. I have been neglecting L.

pumba
02-09-2010, 07:27 AM
This article basically describes it very well. Sometimes I read posts on perfume forums and get really amazed with verbal abilities of some of the posters.

IceAlisa, what othe LL fragrances do you have? Have you tried anything besides the original LL, L and Forbidden Flower?

In my collection of LLs besides the abovementioned scents there are:
LL edt
LL Masculin (I adore that!)
LL Masculin Fresh
L Coral Flower
and LL Amarena Whim

I am waiting for the new Si Lolita fragrance in our stores to try it.

IceAlisa
02-09-2010, 07:50 AM
The only other LL available here is Coral Flower which I hate. Smells like laundry detergent to me.
I would love to try the others if they are vanilla-based gourmands. That's my prerequisite. :)

What's Amarena Whim like? Could you post the notes?

ETA: found a review on fragrantica: cherry, almond and vanilla/musk base. Sounds divine. :swoon: And completely unavailable in the US. Is there another wire transfer in my future? :wall:

IceAlisa
02-11-2010, 11:38 PM
So my two samples of Vanille Galante and Ambre Narguile are here, both by Hermessense.

Right now I have Ambre Narguile on my left wrist and Vanille Galante on the right.

Wow. These are really sophisticated scents.

Ambre Narquile: not your grandmother's amber. I get a lot of honey and a hint of smoke, like tobacco. Then I get a bit of apple but the smoke intensifies with time and gets more cinnamon. If you can imagine yourself eating an apple with honey (like for the Jewish New Year) with a touch of cinnamon in a smoky bar, you'd get the impression of Ambre Narguile. A very interesting and unusual creation but not for me. Together with cinnamon and smoke this makes me think of Morocco for some reason.

Vanille Galante: a very gentle and pretty WHITE FLORAL. I do not get vanilla at all but I get a very delicate, white lily blossom that I would definitely save up for and treasure had I been a white floral fan. But I am not. I bet my mom will be all over this sample.
It seems to be pretty linear and still hasn't changed for the last 20 minutes. Still no vanilla. May be a light hint of seawater.

Overall, really interesting, sophisticated scents, Ambre Narguile being the more interesting of the two. Will not be buying either.

nubka
02-12-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm wearing Kingdom today, in honor of it's creator. :(

IceAlisa
02-12-2010, 12:12 AM
I'm wearing Kingdom today, in honor of it's creator. :(

Yes, really sad. What an amazing bottle Kingdom comes in.

ETA: Wow, Tinami is resourceful. I tried to find Amarena by LL online and couldn't but Tinami did. :eek:

IceAlisa
02-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Since I can no longer edit, reporting on the Vanille Ambree by Acorelle in a double post (totally not using accents due to a severe bout of laziness): patchouli bug spray. :scream:

My mom fell in love with the Hermes Vanille Galante, the one without any vanilla but with extremely gentle and sophisticated white flowers. White floral lovers, check it out. It's pricey but absolutely heavenly if you are into that sort of thing. Even I, the white floral hater can appreciate although would not wear it myself.

nubka
02-14-2010, 01:56 AM
Started the day in Kingdom, then switched to Ava Luxe Cafe Noir later in the day...

IceAlisa
02-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Tomorrow Pink Sugar!

nubka, Cafe Noir sounds yummy.

cholla
02-14-2010, 03:40 PM
L'Heure Bleue for me today :swoon:

I've never met you in real life but I think that you're so totally someone for whom l'Heure Bleue is just perfect !! ;)

Madonna Lily by Durance de Provence for me today.

TygerTyger
02-14-2010, 04:11 PM
THE FOLLOWING IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
CVS is currently having a Valentines Day sale on perfumes - buy one get one 1/2 off.
The store that I frequent is rather ghetto as CVSs go. But even so, they have D/G "Light Blue" etc.. I'd imagine that other stores probably have larger selections.

IceAlisa
02-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks, Tyger Tyger! :)

paulac
02-14-2010, 08:26 PM
I've never met you in real life but I think that you're so totally someone for whom l'Heure Bleue is just perfect !! ;)

I'll take that as a compliment!

cholla
02-14-2010, 08:49 PM
It is :lol:. I LOVE l'Heure Bleue !