PDA

View Full Version : Fragrance of the Day...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Evilynn
02-05-2010, 12:58 PM
I have never heard of the fragrance you are wearing, Evilynn! Thanks, will check it out. Is it very fruity?

I love the names of these.

I love that they have a Shakespeare line. :lol: (and that you can buy samples of almost all their scents) Cupid Complaining to Venus is relatively fruity (odd, since I usually dislike fruity scents), but the apple and the white peach blend really well, and the honey note is truly gorgeous. On me it's equal parts creamy honey and apple & peach, with the fig dirtying it down a little. At the end of the day (8-10 h after application) it's mostly honey with a smidgeon of peach. :)

IceAlisa
02-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Sounds like fun, Evilynn!

Has anyone tried Vanille Ambrée (http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/10/08/acorelle-vanille-ambree-new-perfume/ ) by Acorelle? Why does everything have to have patchouli in it????? :wall:

I am also interested in your experience with Vanille Galante (http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scentedsalamander/2009/01/hermes_vanille_galante_2009_pe.html) and Ambre Narguilé, both by Hermessence.

ETA: Today I am test-driving my l'Imperatrice sample. I wonder if people at work will think I am drunk as it smells like wine to me. :shuffle:

Cyn
02-06-2010, 07:56 AM
As posted, my usual fragrance of choice is Ralph Lauren's Romance for Women (but not that craptastic "Always Yours" offshoot of Romance). It's definitely floral-smelling, but the Notes in it are: Sungoddess Rose, Marigold, Ginger, Chamomile Oil, Yellow Freesia, White Violet, Lotus Flower, Day Lily, Patchouli, Oakmoss, Musk.

Since I can't stand the "Haight-Asbury" (thanks, IA :rofl: for the comparison) head-shop scents like patchouli, musk, and the like (which IMO reeks of the incense from Spencer's Gifts :scream: ), I was shocked to see that those scents are part of the formula for Romance). The Top Notes are undoubtedly the Sungoddess Rose, Lotus Flower, and possibly Yellow Freesia as it remains strongly floral, but the spicy lower notes definitely make it unique. It also has great lasting power and thankfully reacts well with my skin. It's a great year-round fragrance, though I wear less during the summer but also use the bath/shower gel and body lotion, especially in the winter. I get a lot of "What is that you're wearing -- I love it!!" when I'm out and about.

Another great "clean" botanical/floral is Lauder's Pure White Linen Light Breeze. While I like White Linen's Original Recipe (definitely a Fall/Winter fragrance), the Light Breeze (whose packaging and color of the parfum is a light green) is a great scent for spring and summer. It's listed on their website as a "Sparkling Citrus Floral" - I usually hate fruity or food-scented fragrances, but this one is so light (and has grapefruit, which I love). It's notes are:

Top Notes: Darjeeling Tea Accord, Italian Bergamot, Orange Zest, White Grapefruit, Watery Kumquat
Middle Notes: Osmanthus, Linden Flowers, Neroli Petals, Centifolia Rose, Yellow Freesia
Base Notes: Cedarwood, Teak Wood, Soft Skin Accord, Acacia Honey

Marc Jacob's Daisy and Daisy Purple Passion (which was a limited edition) are also great light fragrances. Like Romance, when I wear either, I get a lot of compliments and am asked what I'm wearing.

The worst food/fruit fragrance I've been tortured by is Jessica Simpson's fragrance, whose name escapes me at the moment. It reeks of cotton candy, and I'd be worried about anyone wearing it being attacked by a swarm of bees :scream: . When I worked retail during Christmas 2008, I was :rofl: at the number of returns for that crap - most of which was from teens whose parents got it for them. Ditto for the crappy Paris Hilton fragrances - Yeeech. One of Lauder's Pleasures incarnations (Pleasures Delight I think it is) smells like snickerdoodles :lol:, but a lot of people seem to like it. Pleasures Original Recipe and Pleasures Intense are nice as well, but I prefer the former to the latter.

In my early 20's, I wore Paloma Picasso, possibly one of the heaviest fragrances ever created. Looking back, I cannot believe I wore that stuff year-round :yikes: . I was also given a bottle of Eau De Soir a while back, and it's equally as overpowering and heavy as PP (very, very cool bottle, though :lol: ).

Has anyone here ever worn True Religion? I have a sample of it, and it smells alright from that, but I was kind of meh on how it smelled when worn.

Hopefully, if there is a god, when La Liz finally takes the celestial dirt nap, I sure as hell hope they bury White Diamonds along with her. That is one of the rankest fragrances ever made (that clings/lingers forever, even after a good shower), along with Lancôme's Magie Noir, Dior's Poison, and D&G's The One. Oh, and Ed Hardy's fragrance line. Again, Yeeeech.

MiniCyn is now into wearing Usher Raymond. The regular Usher fragrance smells like ass, but UR isn't too bad (when MC doesn't marinate in it).

I used to like Vanilla-scented fragrances, but now whenever I smell one, all I can think about are candles. Then again, according to a scientific survey held about fragrances Men and Women find appealing, vanilla was the top fragrance that got Men's pheromones going, and essence of cucumber was the #1 scent that turned women on :rofl: .

Oh, and as far as Target carrying fragrances, hell, you can find a LOT of higher-end fragrances at CVS, Rite-Aid, and even Kroger. They're locked up, but you can save about $5.00 a bottle from them as opposed to a department store. They'll often run a "Buy One, get a second one for half-off" deal from time to time. Not a bad deal when they do it.

Lastly, does anyone know where to find Tamango de Leonard (or even heard of it for that matter)? I bought a bottle of that for my mother at the Galleries LaFayette when I was in France (1983), and she's been pining for another bottle for years, but I cannot find it anywhere in the States. I'd love to order a bottle for her as I'm bloody sick and tired of the Samsara (Guerlain) she's worn for the past 10 years.

IceAlisa
02-06-2010, 06:05 PM
I used to like Vanilla-scented fragrances, but now whenever I smell one, all I can think about are candles. Then again, according to a scientific survey held about fragrances Men and Women find appealing, vanilla was the top fragrance that got Men's pheromones going, and essence of cucumber was the #1 scent that turned women on :rofl: .

I knew about vanilla's effect on men (I happen to love it and its prominent presence is a prereq for all my fragrances, winter and summer) but not the cucumber! :lol: Curve for men used to turn my head in my 20s.

So I found out that Aquolina launched a second incarnation of my beloved Pink Sugar (Cyn, I think you'd hate it, cotton candy galore!) called Pink Sugar Sensual. This is for a more mature woman who likes the original but wants something more grown up. I absolutely HAVE to have it.

However, it is not available in the US yet. I am trying to find it on the net and cannot. If anyone comes across it, please let me know. I was given a Swedish site www.eleven.se that sells it but they want a wire transfer instead of a credit card payment which made me leery.

myhoneyhoney
02-06-2010, 06:15 PM
So I found out that Aquolina launched a second incarnation of my beloved Pink Sugar (Cyn, I think you'd hate it, cotton candy galore!) called Pink Sugar Sensual. This is for a more mature woman who likes the original but wants something more grown up. I absolutely HAVE to have it.

Ohhhh, that would be a "must test" for me. My girls (4 and 6) have gotten ahold of my Chocolovers bottle.

IceAlisa
02-06-2010, 06:17 PM
That's cute! Chocolovers is sadly discontinued so you may want to stock up.

TygerTyger
02-06-2010, 06:37 PM
"Then again, according to a scientific survey held about fragrances Men and Women find appealing, vanilla was the top fragrance that got Men's pheromones going, and essence of cucumber was the #1 scent that turned women on :rofl: . "

Really, I'd heard that baby powder was the scent most likely to make us:swoon:.
Something about its ability to channel our desire to make babies?
Wonder if cucumber *and* baby powder would work together?

As for the other: It's too bad that I dislike vanilla. :duh: But, then, Mr. Tyger assures me that I've already caught the legal limit ;)

Wonder if the smell of vanilla reminds the guys of mom's cooking? (shivers.)

PDilemma
02-06-2010, 06:43 PM
My husband loves LaVanila fragrances. Loves them. I picked up a tiny roller ball of their vanilla grapefruit when we were dating and tried it, and the first day I wore it we went to a co-ed baby shower for his aunt (very young aunt! younger than me!) with his whole family there. He followed me around nuzzling and cuddling all day like a spell had been put on him. I've used LaVanila ever since. I don't like their straight vanilla version (pure vanilla), but the citrus in the grapefruit one takes off the sweetness of the vanilla and makes it less candle like. The lavendar and blossom ones are nice too if you want a little floral tone and a friend of mine loves the vanilla spice. She also says it makes her husband crazy!

myhoneyhoney
02-06-2010, 07:23 PM
That's cute! Chocolovers is sadly discontinued so you may want to stock up.

Oh, I know... I've been scouring ebay, lol

Prancer
02-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Oh, I know... I've been scouring ebay, lol

http://www.perfumeemporium.com/womens-perfume/11182/Chocolovers.html

http://perfume.beautyencounter.com/search?w=chocolovers&af=

Both of those sites are usually pretty good for hard-to-find and discontinued perfumes. Beauty Encounter is also a really good place to find samples; if you want a sample of something they don't have in a sample, they will sometimes decant one for you if you ask.

myhoneyhoney
02-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the sites, Prancer. I'm going to hit up the 2nd one for some samples.:D

nubka
02-07-2010, 05:37 AM
Woo hoo, I was smellin' hot in KINGDOM today !! :smokin: :smokin:

IceAlisa
02-07-2010, 08:02 AM
I wore Da Bomb out on the town tonight (such a rare occasion for us!) and now, 5 hours later it smells like a very edible, perfectly balanced and soft vanilla. Next to the sleeve of my leather jacket it creates an interesting combination.

Tomorrow is Superbowl Sunday. Need to balance out all the testosterone with something girly--methinks Pink Sugar.

Evilynn
02-07-2010, 12:36 PM
However, it is not available in the US yet. I am trying to find it on the net and cannot. If anyone comes across it, please let me know. I was given a Swedish site www.eleven.se that sells it but they want a wire transfer instead of a credit card payment which made me leery.

I've never had a problem ordering from eleven.se, but I'm in Sweden, so I suppose that simplifies things. I've always paid with a credit card, so I'm a bit :huh: as to why they wouldn't accept foreign CCs (I know some sites won't accept Russian and sometimes Polish CCs, but I've never heard about anyone denying US cards). They won't accept Maestro or Electron cards though, but Visa. MC, DC and AmEx should be fine.

Fragrance of the day: I'm testing Aracana's Queen Crossbones (Egyptian musk, wild honey, sweet coconut and exotic resins)

IceAlisa
02-07-2010, 05:44 PM
I will try again. I was ordering from my phone and may have messed up the country drop down menu.

Well, it's really not working now. Before when I specified the country, the instructions appeared in English. Now they are all in Swedish and still not asking for a credit card. :wall:

May be they had been burned by US credit cards?

Fragrance of the day: I'm testing Aracana's Queen Crossbones (Egyptian musk, wild honey, sweet coconut and exotic resins) Sounds intriguing. Let us know how you like it.