PDA

View Full Version : Fragrance of the Day...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

TygerTyger
02-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the consultation :)
I have ordered a number of your suggestions via ebay, and look forward to many trial runs.

Next question: How shall I know what is a winter fragrance, and what is summer? Are florals all spring/summer?

IceAlisa
02-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Winter fragrances are usually warmer, spicier and heavier just like winter food. My winter collection has good examples of this such as Lolita Lempicka. I would never wear it in hot weather because it would be completely overpowering.

Summer fragrances have summery ingredients such as fruit and flowers. I am not big on the fruity florals so my summer collection includes Comptoir Sud Pacifique Eaux de voyages that were designed to suggest the feel of a tropical vacation. So the scents are tropical fruit like jackfruit, coconut and tropical spices like vanilla.

Not all florals have to be summery. It really depends on their character. Some florals are plenty heavy and warm and would qualify. Also, none of this is law! If you feel like a floral on a cold winter day, who is to say no?

Prancer, I googled Dlish perfume and saw that it's available at Target. You seem to be into clean scents, is that right?

Holley Calmes
02-03-2010, 11:00 PM
I love Sabi-have for a few years. I also wear Coco Mademoiselle.

Almost everything turns on me to the same sweet smell.....I can't wear musky or vanilla stuff. And that Flower Bomb...man, I took one whiff and almost keeled over!

I do have allergies....

Prancer
02-04-2010, 03:05 AM
Prancer, I googled Dlish perfume and saw that it's available at Target.

Well, ew. :P

I've never seen it at Target; I've read a lot of complaints that it's hard to find, so I wonder if it's only stocked in limited stores.

You seem to be into clean scents, is that right?

I don't like chypres AT ALL and I am not very fond of strong musks or orientals. All three get me right in the back of the throat. Anything with more than a touch of sandalwood, patchouli or incense will make me gag.

Other than that, I'm fairly open to anything as long as it isn't heavy and doesn't smell like bug spray when I put it on. I like fresh scents--cleans, florals, citruses, oceans, greens, even some woodsies. I like some gourmands, but a lot of them are too heavy for my taste.

I love going to the perfume store--I like smelling the coffee beans as much I like smelling the perfumes. :)

IceAlisa
02-04-2010, 03:36 AM
Anything with more than a touch of sandalwood, patchouli or incense will make me gag. I am right there with you on this and the chypres. I find that I am more tolerant with artificial patchouli as they tend to be more subtle and not smell like a Haight and Ashbury shop. And even then patchouli has to be a discreet supporting actor if not an extra.

I like fresh scents--cleans, florals, citruses, oceans, greens, even some woodsies. I came across L'eauParKenzo by Kenzo (duh) during my search yesterday and am guessing you may find this interesting. It's very clean, subtle and should be easy to wear. http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P1002&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=1416

I like some gourmands, but a lot of them are too heavy for my taste. I am all about gourmands. :swoon:

I love going to the perfume store--I like smelling the coffee beans as much I like smelling the perfumes. :) Me too. There is a Comptoir Sud Pacifique called Mokha that smells exactly like that. I like it but not enough to wear although combining it with CSP Amour de Cacao sounds yummy.

pumba
02-04-2010, 03:56 AM
Dune - Christian Dior

Prancer
02-04-2010, 04:28 AM
I I came across L'eauParKenzo by Kenzo (duh) during my search yesterday and am guessing you may find this interesting. It's very clean, subtle and should be easy to wear. http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P1002&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=1416

Style: For young women with a fresh outlook.

I dunno. I'm thinking I might need a bottle of ash and myrrh--for the woman of a certain age with the jaded palate. :P

But thanks--I will check it out :).

IceAlisa
02-04-2010, 04:51 AM
:lol: Sephora also calls Lolita Lempicka, the original "pure, light and endearing". I don't trust anything they say since I read that.

pumba
02-04-2010, 10:06 AM
When I put LL on in the morning, just a few splashes - in an hour or so I really feel it as "pure, light and endearing", but after one more splash - it turns to be rich and intense, as it is probably meant to be.

paulac
02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
In Parfum Sacre again today

Evilynn
02-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Style: For young women with a fresh outlook.

I dunno. I'm thinking I might need a bottle of ash and myrrh--for the woman of a certain age with the jaded palate. :P

But thanks--I will check it out :).

L'Eau par Kenzo used to be my everyday scent. It's light and fresh, without being too aquatic and brought me heaps of compliments. When I wore it I also favoured Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea (and I think it replaced Cool Water :yikes: that I for some reason liked in my teens), to give you an idea of the type of perfume it is.

Perfume of the day: Cupid Complaining to Venus (http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/salon.html)(apple blossom, fig, white peach, honey absolute, red sandalwood, and wild thyme), by BPAL. It shouldn't work on me on account of the peach, but it does, beautifully. :)

IceAlisa
02-04-2010, 04:32 PM
I have never heard of the fragrance you are wearing, Evilynn! Thanks, will check it out. Is it very fruity?

I love the names of these.

IceAlisa
02-05-2010, 12:30 AM
One scent that I'd like to revisit is Leslie Blodgett's Bare Skin of the Perfume Diaries line. It does have patchouli in it on the drydown so I'd have to be careful to let it develop on me. But the top notes were sweet and warm, something I may like.

Tried my Perfume Diaries Bare Skin sample today. :blah: Patchouli city. Had to scrub off with alcohol.

I wore Da Bomb today but am considering purchasing a bottle of Hanae Mori again. I wore it in the early 2000s, hubby approved and I got tons of compliments. I think I will revisit if my sample treats me well.

When I put LL on in the morning, just a few splashes - in an hour or so I really feel it as "pure, light and endearing", but after one more splash - it turns to be rich and intense, as it is probably meant to be.
To me once it settles, it's always rich, warm and grown up, even vampy. The Now Smell This blog aptly describes its "good girl/bad girl" aura.

nubka
02-05-2010, 01:40 AM
The day is almost over and I'm wearing Ava Luxe Honey...

paulac
02-05-2010, 10:23 AM
The day is almost over and I'm wearing Ava Luxe Honey...
Love the Ava Luxe range! Love's True Bluish Light is one of my favourites, but it doesn't seem to be available any more :(
Today I'm wearing Jolie Madame by Balmain, from a sample.