PDA

View Full Version : Fragrance of the Day...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

IceAlisa
02-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Yes, in part. :scream: Any other dominant note of a white flower, such as lily-of-the-valley or white lily would qualify as white floral.

The fact is, real lilies in bouquets give me a headache as well. I think all of the above flowers are beautiful but don't like having them in the house.

BTW, I think if you have a chance, check out Be Delicious that Ajax mentioned. I don't remember it well but I know it's not a vanilla, a floral or a chypre (masculine smelling scent) and is available in Macy's.

If you want to learn about fragrances, read Make Up Alley fragrance reviews or blogs such as Now Smell This.

silverstars
02-02-2010, 05:35 PM
BTW, I think if you have a chance, check out Be Delicious that Ajax mentioned. I don't remember it well but I know it's not a vanilla, a floral or a chypre (masculine smelling scent) and is available in Macy's.

It's kind of apple-y, which sounds weird here, but translates really well into a perfume--it's very fresh, not at all sickly sweet or overly floral. I love it!

I was given Burberry Brit as a (very) late Christmas present a few days ago! I really like it--it's kind of citrusy and it works well for day and night.

IceAlisa
02-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Has anyone tried DKNY Sweet Caramel Candy Apple? http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P254630&categoryId=C15342

Sounds great to me what with vanilla and caramel base.

Prancer
02-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Ah - the nearest Nordstrom or Sephora is hundreds of miles away :(
We do have a very small and meager Macey's - perhaps I will be able to sample your suggestions there?

You can buy samples--either individual sample vials or groups up to vast collections of them--on eBay. They're cheap, usually fresh (check the ratings) and allow you to try perfumes you may not find in stores.

I sometimes buy mass collections of samples just to try different things. I like to wear a perfume a few times before I buy it; sometimes one will smell good once but doesn't hold up well after.

TygerTyger
02-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Prancer, do you have an extra brain - perhaps, dinosaur fashion, stashed away in some other part of your body?
You just know so much stuff ;)

IceAlisa
02-02-2010, 11:22 PM
I also buy samples of certain perfumes so that I have an option of dabbing a few drops on me rather than spray and control the amount applied.

Prancer
02-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Prancer, do you have an extra brain - perhaps, dinosaur fashion, stashed away in some other part of your body?

I wish. I have a black hole in my brain that is gradually sucking in everything I know, most of it never to be seen again. I lose a little more every year. It is REALLY annoying. By the time I'm 70, I won't remember my own name. :P

pumba
02-03-2010, 02:26 AM
Amarige Extravagance - Givenchy for today

Kruss
02-03-2010, 04:44 AM
I'm pretty sensitive to scent as well, and most scents don't smell good on me.

My current which really does well for me in both respects is Pure Seduction by Victoria's Secret.

IceAlisa
02-03-2010, 04:52 AM
Boo, just lost a long post and have to redo this.

I went to Sephora today to pick up a birthday present for a friend who loves perfume. I tried Be Delicious as well as the new limited addition candied apple ones. Not my cup of tea and really don't think my friend would go for it. But Be Delicious really does have a strong green apple note, so check it out if that's your thing. None of the candied apples appealed to me. The green one is too much like Be Delicious, the red one smelled like too soapy and the purple one was too fruity for my taste.

Also looked at Light Blue by D&G. It's very nice and wearable, a floral that does not smell like one. A soft skin scent that most people would a like so it was a strong contender. I think it's a runaway bestseller.

I also checked out the Lavanila limited addition for Valentines Passion Fruit Vanilla. Sounds delectable but to me it wasn't. It was a very unoriginal fruity floral just like a million other fruity florals already on the market. Boring.

Finally on the way out a saleswoman literally forced a sample of D&G l'Imperatrice on me. I swear it smells like a nice glass of wine and made me want one. :lol:

I ended up getting my friend Fresh Strawberry Flowers. Hope she likes it.

Prancer
02-03-2010, 05:11 AM
However, I'm looking to expand my horizons, and would like find something ( or possibly several somethings) less floral, and more musky (but still feminine.)

You might like:

Light Blue by D&G. It's very nice and wearable, a floral that does not smell like one. A soft skin scent that most people would a like so it was a strong contender. I think it's a runaway bestseller.

It is really popular and I think it might fit TygerTyger's criteria. The top notes are citron and apple, then floral, with amber and musk. In spite of the amber and musk (not a big fan of either), it's actually pretty light and is one of my off-and-on favorites. It's kind of a summery perfume.

I like Dolce and Gabbana, too, but only in moderation--it can be really strong.

IceAlisa
02-03-2010, 05:14 AM
I thought of Tyger Tyger as well when I tried Light Blue. It is not really that floral and is very easy to wear. :) I know someone who wears it in the winter and it goes well with the cold weather too.

nubka
02-03-2010, 05:33 PM
YSL for me today...a cool, metalic floral!

IceAlisa
02-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Forgot to mention two new fragrances sampled yesterday. One was the new Kim Kardashian. There is nothing subtle about this woman and the perfume is very fitting. It immediately deals a knock out punch of gardenia. I ran.

One scent that I'd like to revisit is Leslie Blodgett's Bare Skin of the Perfume Diaries line. It does have patchouli in it on the drydown so I'd have to be careful to let it develop on me. But the top notes were sweet and warm, something I may like.

Today it's Elle by YSL. I didn't buy it for myself, someone gave it as a present. I wasn't sure at first but ended up liking it. The patchouli in it are extremely well-behaved.

Prancer
02-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Has anyone ever tried any of the Dlish perfumes?

I'd like to sample some of them, but they are apparently hard to find and I haven't been able to find a sample.