PDA

View Full Version : Commercials you hate...round whatever

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18

John 3 17
01-15-2010, 05:03 AM
There's one political ad running in my state that I think is pretty witty. It opens with a voiceover dramatically intoning: "Raised in the heartland with Midwestern values, a man of the people, and a candidate for the blah, blah, blah" :lol: Then the candidate himself comes on saying that we've all had enough of these kinds of ads. Makes me crack up everytime to see a candidate do something so tongue in cheek.

-Bridget

Peaches LaTour
01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
I am truly beginning to hate the (AT & T or what?) commercials with Luke Wilson. They are aired constantly :rolleyes:

genevieve
01-19-2010, 10:47 PM
The Purex Laundry Sheet one, where the woman says "I'd take a one percent improvement to my day, but this makes my life a thousand times better!"

Seriously, how completely crappy would someone's life have to be that a combined detergent/dryer sheet could improve it "a thousand times"?

This. Apart from the annoyance of ads portraying women as the doers of all housework (I don't care if it's statistically true, ads that perpetuate it drive me batty), anyone who can't handle the 3 extra seconds to toss in a dryer sheet or pour laundry detergent probably needs to hand the laundry duties over to their spouse or child...or just send their laundry out.

I think it's just a case of someone trying to frame a new and unnecessary product as a must-have.

PrincessLeppard
01-20-2010, 01:41 AM
The State Farm "I'll Be There" commercial. I've dealt with insurance companies. If it's gonna cost them, they're NOT gonna be there...

Oh, and it shows a breast cancer victim on a walk for the cure race. State Farm were the bastards who screwed my mom around during her treatment.

suep1963
01-20-2010, 03:09 AM
The only place I can think of that Purex sheet thing would be handy is on vacation--where you have laundry facilities. Great thing to pack.

I was reminded of a commercial I really don't like (they are airing again after a brief hiatus) The Chef Boyardee ones where the moms don't want the kids to know that there is a full serving of vegetables in every can. Hate those!

John 3 17
01-20-2010, 04:44 AM
Denise Austin's Idaho potatoes ad... her lispy, whispery, worshipful voice and the way she pronouces the last "o" of "potatoes".

The Brooke Shields eyelash ad. I think one of the side effects is vision loss or problems... yeah, let's sacrifice our gift of vision for eyelashes.

Restasis. I lol'd the first time I heard the ad brag that the dr was a real dr. I was like "I can tell because she certainly isn't an actress!" so wooden and fake concern. Worshipful, too, which I hate in any ad.

-Bridget

suep1963
01-20-2010, 05:04 AM
The big thing to worry about is if someone has glacoma--the drug is actually a watered down version of the drug used to treat that condition. Patients noticed that their eye lashes got thicker and longer when they were using the drug. So if you had undiagnosed glacoma, then using latisse would delay diagnoses. I don't think you can be prescribed it without having a thorough eye exam.

John 3 17
01-20-2010, 05:16 AM
TY, sue, that's a bit of a relief!

-Bridget

Orable
01-20-2010, 05:58 AM
OMG, I hate the Chase Sapphire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_oLVhuSZA) commercials. That couple is so smug, I want to effing mess them up :mad: Ugh! I just found out that the card is specifically geared to wealthy households that make up over $120,000 a year. Is it really smart to be playing that commercial everywhere in this economy?!

Orable
01-20-2010, 06:06 AM
I know what you mean about the Empire carpets guy's voice...it is smarmarific *cringe*.
The founder used to have that softish voice and after he died, they creepily still have his cartoon image and a fake voice over. It's totally creepy bc he must have been dead for decades now! :yikes:

Orable
01-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Wow, is she ever annoying! And now I know who that guy is - I see him on commercials everywhere, but I never knew who he is :lol:

Positive factor of this commercial? I totally covet that brat's hair color. I dyed my hair a shade lighter than that color a couple of years ago and it was FABULOUS. I think it's time to recolor my hair (do it about once every two or three years) and the brat has given me the shade :rollin:

Behold the annoying little girl!! :EVILLE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7pXZ8M0NPU&feature=PlayList&p=AB738290C75976E7&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=44

CynicElle
01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
The Brooke Shields eyelash ad. I think one of the side effects is vision loss or problems... yeah, let's sacrifice our gift of vision for eyelashes.

If I'm remembering correctly, one of the side effects is that it can actually change your eye pigment to brown. :yikes: Nothing wrong with brown eyes (I've got 'em!), but I don't think I'd want to be using anything that was capable of doing such a thing.

suep1963
01-21-2010, 02:51 AM
IIRC, Lattise is only given to people who have "insufficient" lashes--not just for cosmetic reasons. If you lack lashes, you are more prone to eye infections and other problems because lashes are there to keep the gunk out of your eyes. I suppose a change of color doesn't matter then.

Now I have to admit that I never notices that Brooke Shields had a lash defficiency, but who knows.

Cheylana
01-21-2010, 02:56 AM
The founder used to have that softish voice and after he died, they creepily still have his cartoon image and a fake voice over. It's totally creepy bc he must have been dead for decades now! :yikes:
Ewww, I always thought that cartoon image was creepy!

skaternum
01-21-2010, 03:10 AM
IIRC, Lattise is only given to people who have "insufficient" lashes--not just for cosmetic reasons.
That's definitely not how they're marketing it. It's definitely being pushed for cosmetic use.