PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods... Thread 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Coco
01-02-2010, 05:56 AM
I wonder if Tiger and his agent had some kind of ...disruption to their relationship just prior to all this stuff coming out. But seeing as the agent knows where all the bimbos are, and all the other dirt, he will probably never be fired!

This whole story has been handled...well, it just hasn't been handled, period.

Aceon6
01-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I wonder if Tiger and his agent had some kind of ...disruption to their relationship just prior to all this stuff coming out. But seeing as the agent knows where all the bimbos are, and all the other dirt, he will probably never be fired!

You are probably right, but I don't think it was a disruption in the sense of a problem, more a disruption in that Tiger picked the exact wrong time of the year. Marc Steinberg's the man. The agency is IMG, the biggest sports agency in the world.

This whole thing broke over Thanksgiving, long after the golf season ended for Tiger, and probably after all contracts for 2010 were signed, sealed and delivered. With no need for minute to minute contact with agencies and lawyers, this is the time of year when everyone in the golf industry disappears for 8 weeks.

Think of how difficult it is to get 100% participation for a conference call during normal working conditions, then try to do the same over a holiday weekend. By the time they found everyone they needed and contacted the sponsors, it was too late for a "prompt" response. IMO, that's what lead to the story getting too big to be pushed down.

Jenny
01-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Why fire them, he pays them to keep the scent in other directions because if all kinds of false information that is out there, what is to be believed in the long run, smart move if you ask me.

It doesn't matter really what is said about Tiger and what he or his People profess, he created an image that was based on blatant lies and deceit and that seems to be unforgivable, at least right now!

This is a critical point in image management - some say that every false allegation should be countered (as many celebrities do), but the danger is that it draws attention to the ones you don't fight.

The strategy of letting or even encouraging some of the more bizarre stories, thus (possibly) eroding the credibility of the true stories, can work for a time, and that seems to be what Tiger's team is doing right now.

The problem though is that most people don't follow these things too closely, but rather catch tidbits by flipping channels or glancing at magazine covers, so even though it might not all be true, the overall impression is that Tiger is just a jerk in general.

I don't know. Doesn't everyone wear a public mask and a private mask to some extent? The person that your co-workers see you as at work is rarely the same person that you are when you're at home or with your close family, for example. So in essence we all have created a public image based not on truths.

Agree, and I think we got into this idea a bit in the previous thread. However, this only really works if the public and personal realities are *versions* of each other, rather than completely opposite.

For example, much has been said about other athletes who are known party boys, but also pros at the sport and solid contributors to the community. When one of them gets caught with their pants down or something up their nose, at least it's not a total shock, and no one feels like they've been lied to. The problem is that Tiger pushed the perfect family man image too hard (or let it be pushed to hard).

There would be a whole team of people working for Tiger, and they might not have all known the truth, or wanted to know. In theory, his personal lawyer should know everything so that he can protect Tiger's interests now and in the future. If he has PR counsel, or someone who acts in that role (ie a manager), then they should also know everything so that they can anticipate and prepare for the worst (as well as the opportunities), and in the case of the manager, manage his career (which relies heavily on his image, along with his performance on the course) over the long term.

But an agent, who's job is to get him endorsements and manage business relationships, might not know anything about what Tiger does on his own time. Further, he might not want to know because his main concerns is sales, and landing contracts now, not so much what could happen in the future. Similarly, a booking agent would be mostly concerned with Tiger's golf and other appearances - book book book is the focus. Since we haven't heard from a publicist, I assume he doesn't have one working closely with him.

Of course I'm guessing at all of this, but the point is there are a whole ton of people around Tiger, most probably very good at what they do, and likely happy to either help or turn a blind eye to the issues as they would all be quite rich based on their relationship with him, perhaps having given up other clients over the years to focus on him 100%, and thus now also worried about their own livelihoods.

If he had help in covering his affairs, my guess is that it's someone or someones who have known him a long time and are very close to him, such as his college buddies, or if any of his manager/agents/lawyers have been with him for many years.

I do wonder where Steve Williams - his long time caddy - is in all this. I can't recall seeing any comments or even references to him. With Tiger not playing, his income is about to drop significantly, but how loyal is he? At what point will another player want to snap up his services? It would be interesting to know if Tiger is keeping him on retainer, as an indicator of his plans to play in future.

Aceon6
01-02-2010, 04:39 PM
I do wonder where Steve Williams - his long time caddy - is in all this. I can't recall seeing any comments or even references to him. With Tiger not playing, his income is about to drop significantly, but how loyal is he? At what point will another player want to snap up his services? It would be interesting to know if Tiger is keeping him on retainer, as an indicator of his plans to play in future.

Stevie's got his own business interests and is quite wealthy. As for someone else picking him up... I doubt it. Stevie comes with his own baggage including engaging in risky sports. He wouldn't be my first choice for my bag.

More likely to be picked up is Kenny Perry's old caddy who was summarily dumped at the end of last season.

Aceon6
01-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Starting a thread in Other Sports for discussion of this year's pro tours. If you play or follow the game, please join in.

AYS
01-04-2010, 01:41 AM
In brief comments to the press, Stevie Williams has indicated that Tiger had mentioned "family problems" over the course of their discussions, but when he got attacked by the press regarding whether he was in Tiger's "confidence" about whatever, he basically just expressed his support of Tiger.

As Aceon6 said, Williams is actually extremely wealthy (thanks in part to his work with Tiger), and is a race car driver in NZ with other business concerns as well. He's not hanging around waiting for another golfer to pick him up at this point, I don't think.

ETA: In terms of earnings, caddies earn a flat fee, but then earn a percentage of their golfer's winnings (in the vicinity of 5-10%). Reportedly, Williams has been bringing in well over a million a year due to Tiger's earnings for several years, whose earnings have, of course, have been exponentially higher than all but a very small handful of pro golfers, and then, still well above his closest competitors.

Jenny
01-04-2010, 03:26 PM
A lot of people have been getting rich thanks to their relationships with Tiger - but the question is, are they managing their money well? The danger of a cash cow like Tiger is thinking that the money will continue to come, and even banking on it when making investments or spending it.

Aceon6
01-04-2010, 03:45 PM
A lot of people have been getting rich thanks to their relationships with Tiger - but the question is, are they managing their money well? The danger of a cash cow like Tiger is thinking that the money will continue to come, and even banking on it when making investments or spending it.

Tiger's inner circle is made up of 1) very wealthy business people and 2) very wealthy athletes. He doesn't have a posse, per se. He will help out his old college buds from time to time, but they're not on the payroll.

Jenny
01-04-2010, 04:50 PM
I meant the people on his payroll - Steve, lawyers, agents, managers, accountants, etc etc. With a client as big as him, the likelihood is that at least some of those people have given up all other work to focus exclusively on Tiger. They may have made a lot of money, but if they have bet everything (so to speak) on his continued success on the course and earning power, they may be scrambling right now. Some will get paid no matter what, but the ones who were relying on commissions/percentages/bonuses potentially have a very different future ahead of them.

Aceon6
01-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Well, I don't know about others, but Leigh Steinberg, his agent, won't be hitting the welfare rolls. He was a gazillionaire before Tiger. Most of Tiger's admin work is performed by IMG. While they'll feel a dent, they've got plenty of other large earners to keep the firm hopping. Look for them to aggressively recruit the successful US Olympians.

Aceon6
01-04-2010, 06:07 PM
New article up at Vanity Fair (http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/02/tiger-woods-201002), basically saying the same things we've been saying here, but backed up with some quotes from an interview Tiger did when he was 21.

Civic
01-04-2010, 06:50 PM
...On the idea of taking the kids to Sweden where it's a friendlier environment, I'm not so sure...
An important issue to consider, imo: Tiger Woods is a person of color and so are his children. I'm not saying Sweden isn't a congenial country in which to raise non-white children. I don't know one way or the other. However, being the only non-white children in their community or school could be a very isolating experience for them.

laurenjm
01-04-2010, 06:55 PM
An important issue to consider, imo: Tiger Woods is a person of color and so are his children. I'm not saying Sweden isn't a congenial country in which to raise non-white children. I don't know one way or the other. However, being the only non-white children in their community or school could be a very isolating experience for them.

I was under the impression that the world was far more open to difference than the US according to what is spewed.

So Tiger's kids could be discriminated? Now there's something!

marbri
01-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Through immigration and foreign adoption Sweden has a bit of diversity. I would think if Tigers kids are singled out as being different it'll be because of who their father is (which I suppose would happen anywhere?)

bek
01-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Thats a bit ridiculous because first of all 1. The kids look white. 2. Sweden DOES have non white people.