PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods... Thread 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Jenny
12-31-2009, 06:07 PM
Further to that, having a high alcohol count on Christmas morning isn't really that shocking - if they were drinking the night before (as many do on Christmas Eve), then the count would still register early the next morning. Doesn't mean she woke up and started drinking.

Allskate
12-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Another sponsor gone (http://money.cnn.com/2009/12/31/news/companies/tiger_woods_att/index.htm). This time, it's a big one, the AT&T logo on his bag.

I guess AT&T doesn't want to remind people that their cell phone service helped Tiger keep in contact with all of his women. :lol: But think of all the men who might want AT&T to assist them with their booty calls.

loopey
12-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Nothing will surprise me, I guess, after reading about Charlie Sheen latest stunt where he allegedly held a knife to his wife's throat and threatened to kill her and most people were getting on her case because she was under influence on Christmas morning. In her own house. If I were his wife I would be drinking, too.

Btw, I don't mean to discuss the case here. I know there's another thread for it. I just wanted to illustrate my point that quite often people start blaming the woman if a man did something bad. She must have deserved, provoked it, etc. We don't have any proof that Elin was ever abusive; with Sheen's wife, I guess being buzzed in your own house seems worse to many people than a spouse holding a knife to your throat. Oh well.
Nicely stated!

Prancer
01-01-2010, 06:18 AM
Or spin to counter the "Why in gawd's name would a supposedly intelligent person with the best management and lawyers handle this so badly?"

If his managment team is spreading around something that can and will be easily disproved, then he should fire them and sue them for incompetence.

Spin is one thing; outright lies are something else. Tiger should know better than most how that goes. And I think they would be foolish to present Tiger as an abused husband for the same reasons that were discussed earlier; it doesn't do a male athlete's rep any good at all.

jenny12
01-01-2010, 09:11 AM
If his managment team is spreading around something that can and will be easily disproved, then he should fire them and sue them for incompetence.

Spin is one thing; outright lies are something else. Tiger should know better than most how that goes. And I think they would be foolish to present Tiger as an abused husband for the same reasons that were discussed earlier; it doesn't do a male athlete's rep any good at all.

Yeah, especially with what has come out about his behavior so far.

When it came out that MLB pitcher Chuck Finley was abused by his wife (and I think in his case it didn't involve any cheating scandal, his wife assaulted him, I think, because he asked for a divorce or something to that nature), he was the target of ridicule from a lot of sportswriters and fans and I don't think he received much sympathy. Tiger already has most of the public against him for the cheating, so this kind of revelation would probably just create more ridicule. I can't see it creating any sympathy for him.

mrr50
01-01-2010, 01:01 PM
The police department made another statement that Tiger did not appear to have anything more than a cut on his lip and a bump which would be consistent with a car accident. I think there is a lot of bullshit floating through the internet.

laurenjm
01-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah, especially with what has come out about his behavior so far.

When it came out that MLB pitcher Chuck Finley was abused by his wife (and I think in his case it didn't involve any cheating scandal, his wife assaulted him, I think, because he asked for a divorce or something to that nature), he was the target of ridicule from a lot of sportswriters and fans and I don't think he received much sympathy. Tiger already has most of the public against him for the cheating, so this kind of revelation would probably just create more ridicule. I can't see it creating any sympathy for him.

True about Chuck Finley, Tawnie Katan was well known to be quite nutz, but I don't see this being the same. This happened when Chuck was pitching for the Indians here in Cleveland.

Stick a fork in Tiger, at least for a looooong time, he is cooked!

laurenjm
01-01-2010, 01:41 PM

Why fire them, he pays them to keep the scent in other directions because if all kinds of false information that is out there, what is to be believed in the long run, smart move if you ask me.

It doesn't matter really what is said about Tiger and what he or his People profess, he created an image that was based on blatant lies and deceit and that seems to be unforgivable, at least right now!

Aceon6
01-01-2010, 02:30 PM
It doesn't matter really what is said about Tiger and what he or his People profess, he created an image that was based on blatant lies and deceit and that seems to be unforgivable, at least right now!

Agree. Sentiment around here is pretty consistent... women and dads of younger players (under 12) are finding new players to root for. Tiger's only fanbase that seems solid is males 14-35. That will keep him safe with Nike and Gatorade, but will probably kill the Gillette relationship eventually.

While he may return to golf at a high level, his endorsement power is done. He's not going to even come close to MJ levels for long term sponsorship $.

orbitz
01-01-2010, 03:12 PM

I don't know. Doesn't everyone wear a public mask and a private mask to some extent? The person that your co-workers see you as at work is rarely the same person that you are when you're at home or with your close family, for example. So in essence we all have created a public image based not on truths.

smurfy
01-01-2010, 03:25 PM
I think there is a lot of bullshit floating through the internet.

Truer words have never been written!! :rollin:

skatemommy
01-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I don't know. Doesn't everyone wear a public mask and a private mask to some extent? The person that your co-workers see you as at work is rarely the same person that you are when you're at home or with your close family, for example. So in essence we all have created a public image based not on truths.

I agree, but I my "image" is not selling you 1 Billion dollars worth of product!

milanessa
01-01-2010, 03:44 PM
I agree, but I my "image" is not selling you 1 Billion dollars worth of product!

:huh:

Aceon6
01-01-2010, 04:15 PM

True, but I'm reminded of the Maya Angelou truism... "When someone shows you who he is, believe him." Team Tiger has crafted an image of a quiet man with a normal family life who has incomparable skill and work ethic. His on course behavior is inconsistent with the image... he blames other people and course conditions for bad shots, swears like a trooper, throws clubs, and is sometimes hostile to volunteers and fans who support the tournaments.

The "boulder incident" in Phoenix many years ago shows us the true Tiger. Under the rules of golf, a player is allowed to move stones, twigs, and other loose impediments that might interfere with a shot. The player can only move things that are on top of the soil surface and cannot move anything that is down in the dirt. Tiger hit his ball behind a massive boulder. He got a rules official to say that the boulder wasn't embedded in the dirt, then got the gallery to move the one ton rock. Tiger's response to his predicament was "How can I use the rules to make this problem go away?" not "OK, I'll take the one stroke penalty and move the ball." For months afterward, golfers debated the fairness of his actions, given that the average golfer doesn't have 20 strong guys close by ready to move any boulders. In fact, pros in other groups with smaller galleries wouldn't have had this option. Did Tiger bend the rules? Probably. The thing that tells us the true Tiger is that moving the boulder was his first thought, leading me to believe that, even as a young man, he was more than accustomed to using any available means to make his problems disappear.

Garden Kitty
01-01-2010, 05:48 PM
When it came out that MLB pitcher Chuck Finley was abused by his wife (and I think in his case it didn't involve any cheating scandal, his wife assaulted him, I think, because he asked for a divorce or something to that nature), he was the target of ridicule from a lot of sportswriters and fans and I don't think he received much sympathy.

In off topic news, Chuck Finley was just on an Angels sponsored float in the Rose Parade with a few other past or present Angels players, promoting the All Star Game which will be played at their stadium in 2010.