PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods... Thread 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

FunnyBut
12-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Just wondering if people would have the same reaction if the one swinging an iron was a man and the target was a woman. .

Nope, definitely not, I suppose the stereotype is that the man, especially a powerful star athlete, should be able to defend himself adequately. In the general case, I do believe that domestic violence should be treated with the same concern regardless of who is doing it. I remember Greg Louganis writing about being sexually abused while he was at the height of his career, abuse is not just about physical ability, but grotestque mental and emotional control over someone. But in the case of Tiger and Elin, it seems highly unlikely that Elin was domineering over Tiger's life, since he went where he wanted, slept with whom he wanted and generally acted like he was king of the world. So while violence is never appropriate, I still don't get the impression that Elin is a true ' mentally twisted spouse abuser'. I think of her as someone who lost control over some extraordinary circumstances.

Conversely, what if Elin had 14 boy-toys, and Tiger were the ultimate family man and faithful husband? I think she would have been villified much, much more than even Tiger is today.

Stereotypes play both ways.

orbitz
12-29-2009, 05:36 PM
ET reports tonight that Tiger is in Miami at a private house party last night with Rachel.

Isn't ET considered tabloid journalism like Ok magazines, US Weekly, etc? I wouldn't automatically believe something just because it's on ET.

loopey
12-29-2009, 05:39 PM
I don't understand the insistence that Elin had to know or that there was something wrong with her if she didn't. Lots of married people don't know; lots of them have friends who know and don't tell; lots of them aren't suspicious because they don't think they need to be.
ITA, why is it so hard for some to believe that she may have been an unknowing victim to his lies and cheating?

Aceon6
12-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Isn't ET considered tabloid journalism like Ok magazines, US Weekly, etc? I wouldn't automatically believe something just because it's on ET.

They're the only ones with it, so I'd discount it. TMZ has nothing new since Tag Heuer. If there was anything, I would think they'd be on it.

jenny12
12-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Nope, definitely not, I suppose the stereotype is that the man, especially a powerful star athlete, should be able to defend himself adequately. In the general case, I do believe that domestic violence should be treated with the same concern regardless of who is doing it. I remember Greg Louganis writing about being sexually abused while he was at the height of his career, abuse is not just about physical ability, but grotestque mental and emotional control over someone.

I agree. I remember some baseball player being physically abused by his wife (Finley) and she was arrested, although I think he was the target of some jokes which I thought were unfair. Although he technically could defend himself, he might get in trouble if he did because he was bigger and stronger.

In Tiger's case, while I don't think abuse is to be excused, I agree that it was probably a one time thing and I also agree that the public would be even less forgiving if the woman was the one doing the cheating. However, I also think the public would be less than forgiving if say the woman was cheating and the man responded with the same type of violence.

Prancer
12-29-2009, 08:43 PM
With that high profile of a husband its logical to conclude that she knew something within those 5 years and well before attacking him.

Logic would actually say that you don't have enough evidence to make any conclusion and neither do the rest of us; we're all just guessing based on very little.

Nope, definitely not, I suppose the stereotype is that the man, especially a powerful star athlete, should be able to defend himself adequately.

That's probably true; however, I know a big, muscular former Marine who was frequently attacked by his 100 pound wife near the end of their marriage and he learned that he shouldn't defend himself. For one thing, it created confusion about who hit whom first and the cops had a hard time believing that she did, and for another, she really hurt him but he was always aware that if he lost his temper, he could easily kill her without meaning to if he ever allowed himself to fight back. I was shocked that he didn't, frankly, because he has a terrible temper.

genevieve
12-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Has it been confirmed that Elin attacked Tiger with the golf club? I thought she attacked the car - and while that is still a violent act, it's not the same as taking a weapon to another person.

I know there was at least one rumor that she had hit him in the face with the golf club, but everything up to that point had indicated that his injuries came from the car crash and I don't recall seeing any confirmation either way.

Jot the Dot Dot
12-29-2009, 09:32 PM
While other sponsers are dropping him, I understand he's going to do ads for a new drug to fight Erectile Disfunction: Tiagra!

marbri
12-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Has it been confirmed that Elin attacked Tiger with the golf club? I thought she attacked the car - and while that is still a violent act, it's not the same as taking a weapon to another person.

I know there was at least one rumor that she had hit him in the face with the golf club, but everything up to that point had indicated that his injuries came from the car crash and I don't recall seeing any confirmation either way.

I would just add that when I made the comment about an isolated incident it is on the above bolded understanding. I personally haven't read anything that absolutely states that she hit him with a golf club.

marbri
12-29-2009, 09:41 PM
While other sponsers are dropping him, I understand he's going to do ads for a new drug to fight Erectile Disfunction: Tiagra!

Sounds like a late night talk show type joke.

laurenjm
12-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Logic would actually say that you don't have enough evidence to make any conclusion and neither do the rest of us; we're all just guessing based on very little.

That's probably true; however, I know a big, muscular former Marine who was frequently attacked by his 100 pound wife near the end of their marriage and he learned that he shouldn't defend himself. For one thing, it created confusion about who hit whom first and the cops had a hard time believing that she did, and for another, she really hurt him but he was always aware that if he lost his temper, he could easily kill her without meaning to if he ever allowed himself to fight back. I was shocked that he didn't, frankly, because he has a terrible temper.

Yes, point taken, but its a gut feeling and I would bet the farm she knew!

Garden Kitty
12-30-2009, 12:32 AM
Some UC Davis Professors estimate the Tiger Woods scandal cost shareholders of the companies that sponsor Tiger up to 12 billion in market value. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091229/sp_nm/us_golf_woods_shareholders_1)

Edited to fix the link, thanks, Deltask8er :)

deltask8er
12-30-2009, 12:39 AM
Some UC Davis Professors estimate the Tiger Woods scandal cost shareholders of the companies that sponsor Tiger up to 12 billion in market value. (ttp://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091229/sp_nm/us_golf_woods_shareholders_1)

Thanks. I added the 'h' in front of 'ttp' to make the link work :fan21:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091229/sp_nm/us_golf_woods_shareholders_1

"We estimate that shareholders of Tiger Woods' sponsors lost $5-12 billion after his car accident, relative to shareholders of firms that Mr. Woods does not endorse," the researchers wrote, adding that millions of shareholders were affected.

"Our analysis makes clear that while having a celebrity of Tiger Woods' stature as an endorser has undeniable upside, the downside risk is substantial, too,"

So will the companies ask for a bailout as a result? :hat1: :drama:

Aceon6
12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Today is Tiger's birthday. Wonder what he's doing?

laurenjm
12-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Some UC Davis Professors estimate the Tiger Woods scandal cost shareholders of the companies that sponsor Tiger up to 12 billion in market value. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091229/sp_nm/us_golf_woods_shareholders_1)

Edited to fix the link, thanks, Deltask8er :)

Yup! He lost not only much $$ for himself but shareholders of companies and companies themselves.

Forgiveness for this loss to shareholders and business will not come easily for him.

He was considered a "solid" and good investment, not anymore and maybe never again!