PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods... Thread 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18

Jenny
05-13-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm with Rafter, his handlers pushed him to marry for his image.

I'm sure they did, but my bet is it was also something he wanted. He strives for perfection on the golf course, and like many professional men, likely thought he needs to build the perfect life off the course as well. Beautiful wife, lovely home, children.

It's not even about the wife, home or children or even career for some men - it's about their own definition of what it means to be a man, and living up to your own expectation.

And then there's peer pressure - in golf particularly, the image of the wife and adoring children meeting the champion as he comes off the course is a strong one, perpetuated further by one of the major tournaments being held on Father's Day every year.

I think Tiger may have convinced himself that as the World's Greatest Golfer, the picture would not be complete without a wife (and taking the all-American girl one step further, he marries a Swedish blonde no less, and one already experienced in caring for children), the classic combo of a boy and a girl as children, plus the homes, cars, yacht, etc.

PDilemma
05-13-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm sure they did, but my bet is it was also something he wanted. He strives for perfection on the golf course, and like many professional men, likely thought he needs to build the perfect life off the course as well. Beautiful wife, lovely home, children.

It's not even about the wife, home or children or even career for some men - it's about their own definition of what it means to be a man, and living up to your own expectation.

And then there's peer pressure - in golf particularly, the image of the wife and adoring children meeting the champion as he comes off the course is a strong one, perpetuated further by one of the major tournaments being held on Father's Day every year.

I think Tiger may have convinced himself that as the World's Greatest Golfer, the picture would not be complete without a wife (and taking the all-American girl one step further, he marries a Swedish blonde no less, and one already experienced in caring for children), the classic combo of a boy and a girl as children, plus the homes, cars, yacht, etc.

I agree with you other than that he personally ordered a "classic combo" of children. Last I checked, you still take what you get in that area.

I also think that creating an image for advertisers et al was part of it. Everything he has ever done has been for the sake of golf and public image. Even the nickname "Tiger" which ESPN the Magazine reported several years ago really came along in his late teens as Earl's marketing idea, not in childhood. It isn't really his fault that his life has been this way. It was his father's doing and he was a compliant enough child to do what his father wanted, and by adulthood, the rewards were probably enough to keep him in it for the long haul.

Jenny
05-13-2010, 06:27 PM
I agree with you other than that he personally ordered a "classic combo" of children. Last I checked, you still take what you get in that area.

My bet is that they would have kept having children until they had at least one of each.

Really
05-14-2010, 02:30 AM
My bet is that they would have kept having children until they had at least one of each.They wouldn't have been the first couple to do that!

skatemommy
05-14-2010, 02:35 AM

Jenny, this is exactly what I meant by my post. Elin is the perfect wife, his kids are perfect and Tiger (Eldrick) throws it all away on whores. So sad...

IceAlisa
05-14-2010, 02:35 AM
They wouldn't have been the first couple to do that!

I know a couple who have 5 girls for that reason.

jenny12
05-14-2010, 05:52 AM
The cynical me says -- for his image. He maybe even thought he really wanted to have a family life with wife and kids -- just not necessarily with the marriage vows about "forsaking all others" that most spouses expect.

I agree. I think if he played another sport like basketball or football the marriage image wouldn't be that important. He could just play his game, sleep with a bunch of women, and no one would care as long as he didn't care who found out. However, golf is a very traditional sport and Tiger, I guess, wanted an image that would bring in the most capital. That, of course, doesn't mean he really didn't want to get married, but I think his awareness of image was a big part of it.

Aceon6
05-14-2010, 01:19 PM
I agree. I think if he played another sport like basketball or football the marriage image wouldn't be that important. He could just play his game, sleep with a bunch of women, and no one would care as long as he didn't care who found out. However, golf is a very traditional sport and Tiger, I guess, wanted an image that would bring in the most capital. That, of course, doesn't mean he really didn't want to get married, but I think his awareness of image was a big part of it.

I think this has more to do with Tiger's hang up with Jack Nicklaus than any pressure from agents. Other golfers have been playboys or have had less than perfect marriage records such as Nick Faldo (3), and Hal Sutton (4), without losing sponsors or being vilified in the press.

Tiger's wanted to "be like Jack" since he was a kid. Jack has a very successful marriage AND played like heck well into his 40s.

attyfan
05-14-2010, 02:45 PM
I think this has more to do with Tiger's hang up with Jack Nicklaus than any pressure from agents. Other golfers have been playboys or have had less than perfect marriage records such as Nick Faldo (3), and Hal Sutton (4), without losing sponsors or being vilified in the press.

Do Nick Faldo and/or Hal Sutton have anything like Tiger's marketability? Also, do they portray themselves as "role models:? I've often thought that the American public is more tolerant when an athlete who does not hold him/her self out as a "role model" goes wrong than when a "role model" does go bad -- simply because the so-called "role model" adds hypocrisy to the list.

Aceon6
05-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Do Nick Faldo and/or Hal Sutton have anything like Tiger's marketability? Also, do they portray themselves as "role models:? I've often thought that the American public is more tolerant when an athlete who does not hold him/her self out as a "role model" goes wrong than when a "role model" does go bad -- simply because the so-called "role model" adds hypocrisy to the list.

Faldo never claimed to be a role model. Sutton's public image, however, provides a huge disconnect. When discussing Hal's Christian values, no one ever mentions his serial marriages.

Jenny
05-14-2010, 03:30 PM
I wonder if Tiger/his father/his people thought he had to be that much more perfect from everyone else because it's a rich white man's sport. He's always wanted to prove to everyone (most of all himself) that he's the world's greatest golfer, and his life off the course might have been about completing that picture.

May not seem like a big deal now, but when he first burst onto the scene, there was a lot of talk about him breaking barriers, setting all kinds of records for people of colour in the sport - there was even a fuss about what would happen when he won the Masters, which comes with lifetime membership at the club, because they'd never had a black member before (traditionally, the only blacks you will see at Augusta are the caddies).

He may have felt a need to show the world that he could have everything that the old boys of the sport could have.

Rex
05-14-2010, 03:32 PM
So there's "no major damage" to his neck. Just an "inflamed joint" that requires anti-inflammatories and massage. So he will be away for "rehab".

Why am I not surprised?

I'm thinking he needs some down time to rehab his game not his neck. Well, now at least, he can go to a massage parlor and no one will question him :P.

PDilemma
05-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Well, now at least, he can go to a massage parlor and no one will question him :P.

:lol::lol::lol:

deltask8er
07-02-2010, 04:55 AM
:bribe: :bribe: :bribe: :bribe:

TIGER WOODS is banned from letting girlfriends near his kids in a divorce deal netting his ex a record 500 million.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/usa/3035261/Tiger-Woods-banned-from-letting-girlfriends-near-kids-in-divorce-deal.html

"The price of the huge sum is her silence: no interviews, tell-all books, or TV appearances about this for the rest of her life - even if Tiger dies first - or she'll lose the lot."

The pal said: "Everything's signed. Elin is ready to file for divorce at Orlando County Court. She expects to in the next seven days."

Elin gets sole physical custody of their kids but they will split legal custody.

That means Tiger will share decisions about their future - so Elin will not be able to permanently relocate them to her native Sweden.

Under the no-girlfriends deal, only married women not romantically linked to Tiger will be allowed around the children - plus female members of staff known to Elin.

DickButtonFan
07-02-2010, 05:07 AM
He's not really even worth 750 million