PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods... Thread 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18

milanessa
02-19-2010, 04:34 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/19/tiger.woods/index.html?hpt=T1

I guess 18 holes just weren't enough for Tiger...

The vultures are circling.

Former sportscaster Pat O'Brien criticized the way Woods seemed to be controlling the news conference.

"He might as well have done this on YouTube," O'Brien said Thursday on CNN's "Larry King Live." "But I do think that he's got to subject himself to some sort of question and answer at some point, otherwise people are just going to -- it's already a disaster."

He seemed sincere about turning his behavior around - leave him and his family to it, I say.

Jenny
02-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks of Tiger's statement today - what he said, how he said it, where he said it, and who he said it to.

One of CNN's pundits just called it a disaster.

Thoughts?

Garden Kitty
02-19-2010, 06:19 PM
I find it hysterical that Pat O'Brien (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/02/08/2008-02-08_insider_host_pat_obrien_enters_rehab.html) is weighing in on the issue.

jenny12
02-19-2010, 06:34 PM
I thought the statement was fine. Yes, it was disgraceful behavior, but I don't think you have to take questions about it. He didn't commit a crime.

Allskate
02-19-2010, 06:53 PM
I thought the statement was fine. Yes, it was disgraceful behavior, but I don't think you have to take questions about it. He didn't commit a crime.

I know. What kinds of questions do they want to ask? Details about his sexual exploits? People already know more than they are entitled to know. The desire for more details is just lurid curiosity. The details are between him and his wife. I don't like him or respect him. Not sure how sorry he really is for anyone other than himself. But, I do think he's right that the paparazzi should not be following around his kids and showing where their school is and his misconduct in one area of his life is not an excuse for poor journalistic ethics when it comes to other issues.

Jenny
02-19-2010, 07:07 PM
The CNN pundit I mentioned earlier was a former PR guy for the Yankees - he slammed Tiger for his anger toward the media, saying he needs the media to help rebuild his image.

Rubbish I say - he owes the media nothing. They have not made him rich and famous. His talent and savvy marketing has done that.

And media is no longer the only channel for reaching the masses, and they need to understand that. Tiger or anyone else can now speak directly with and interact with their fans and the public.

Plus, there will always be media willing to work with him, not against him, because they benefit from it just as much, sometimes more, than he does.

Satellitegirl
02-19-2010, 07:30 PM
the media tear someone down at the drop of a hat.....there's no way he owes them anything.

Angelskates
02-20-2010, 02:22 AM
Rubbish I say - he owes the media nothing. They have not made him rich and famous. His talent and savvy marketing has done that.

And media is no longer the only channel for reaching the masses, and they need to understand that. Tiger or anyone else can now speak directly with and interact with their fans and the public.

I disagree. While I agree he doesn't owe the media anything, the media has most certainly been a huge part of his "savvy marketing" - advertising is still done mostly through the media, and that's made him millions. While it's not the only channel, it is certainly the largest and most successful for Tiger.

Being able to directly interact with fans and the public (which Tiger didn't do much) doesn't mean Tiger doesn't need the media. All his sponsors use the media, and without his sponsors, Tiger looses a lot of money.

zowie
02-20-2010, 02:33 AM
Why is he apologizing again? ....or what I really mean is why is he on TV again apologizing.

Jenny
02-20-2010, 02:46 PM
I disagree. While I agree he doesn't owe the media anything, the media has most certainly been a huge part of his "savvy marketing" - advertising is still done mostly through the media, and that's made him millions. While it's not the only channel, it is certainly the largest and most successful for Tiger.

Being able to directly interact with fans and the public (which Tiger didn't do much) doesn't mean Tiger doesn't need the media. All his sponsors use the media, and without his sponsors, Tiger looses a lot of money.

Different than what I was talking about - that's paid media. I was talking about earned media, ie news/sports reporting, not advertising.

Angelskates
02-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Different than what I was talking about - that's paid media. I was talking about earned media, ie news/sports reporting, not advertising.

They're both advertising and they're both instrumental to success or failure. If the news media doesn't support you, neither will the paid media for long, especially athletes. The news/sports media is what gets you noticed first. The advertisements come from that as much as from the sport, they decide what to broadcast after all. Which is why, I'm sure, Tiger made his statement. His image is important to his success.

Coco
02-20-2010, 04:08 PM
I find it hysterical that Pat O'Brien (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/02/08/2008-02-08_insider_host_pat_obrien_enters_rehab.html) is weighing in on the issue.

My thoughts exactly.

TygerTyger
02-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Why is he apologizing again? ....or what I really mean is why is he on TV again apologizing.

Maybe he felt threatened because the networks were all paying to much attention to the Olympics, and not Tiger Woods.
Seriously, Tiger: stop feeding the trolls, and move on with your life. :rolleyes:

Jenny
02-21-2010, 02:55 PM
They're both advertising and they're both instrumental to success or failure. If the news media doesn't support you, neither will the paid media for long, especially athletes. The news/sports media is what gets you noticed first. The advertisements come from that as much as from the sport, they decide what to broadcast after all.

:confused:

orbitz
02-21-2010, 03:07 PM
I know. What kinds of questions do they want to ask? Details about his sexual exploits? People already know more than they are entitled to know. The desire for more details is just lurid curiosity. The details are between him and his wife. I don't like him or respect him. Not sure how sorry he really is for anyone other than himself. But, I do think he's right that the paparazzi should not be following around his kids and showing where their school is and his misconduct in one area of his life is not an excuse for poor journalistic ethics when it comes to other issues.

While I agree that his kids must be off limit to the paparazzi, it is one of the consequences of the scandal that he has brought onto himself and his family. He can't close the pandora box now. Why should they give Tiger any type of break when they've never given any celebrities or politicians involved in scandals? The tabloid press never had any journalistic ethics so why should they care. If someone can make money from photos of Tiger's family then pictures will be taken.