PDA

View Full Version : Brittany Murphy died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

cruisin
12-21-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm not exactly sure about the hormonal interactions, but menstruation, as in the bleeding, actually happens when estrogen levels fall. That's why by taking birth control pills (which contains estradiol, an estrogen) stops your periods. It's the progestagens that make your body think you're pregnant, so you don't ovulate.

There's a complicated concert of hormones involved in menstruation, so I don't think it's as simple as no period, no estrogen, no heart disease protection. I believe the electrolyte imbalance and resulting heart palpitations way before believing that an ED would affect heart disease that involves plaque formation.

Absolutely, as I said, I am not questioning that. I was just wondering about other possible hormonal complications. Not saying it would happen, just wondering if it's possible.

IceAlisa
12-21-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm not exactly sure about the hormonal interactions, but menstruation, as in the bleeding, actually happens when estrogen levels fall. That's why by taking birth control pills (which contains estradiol, an estrogen) stops your periods. It's the progestagens that make your body think you're pregnant, so you don't ovulate.

There's a complicated concert of hormones involved in menstruation, so I don't think it's as simple as no period, no estrogen, no heart disease protection. I believe the electrolyte imbalance and resulting heart palpitations way before believing that an ED would affect heart disease that involves plaque formation.

Thank you, Anita18 for saying what I didn't have time to really explain.

smurfy
12-21-2009, 07:53 PM
My 2 cents on all this based on actual experience.

A relative that lived alone was found in her house (age 53, not as young as Brittany, but still young in my mind). When I went to the house and met with the police, they stated cause of death appeared natual. They were very well organized and gave me a tour to explain:

1 - door broken down - the police did it to gain entrance (friend stopped by and could see the person through the window laying there)
2 - all prescriptions lined up on a table - and told me they went through the house for all drugs and based on dates and # of pills in bottles, nothing abnormal, no evidence of overdose
3- some furniture was knocked over. Bar stools by cabinet where dog food was. I agree with police that it was most likely caused by dogs attempting to get food. We are unsure of date of death and not sure how long dogs were hungry and water gone from toilet (heat was turned off, so no time of death was ever officially determined).

They were very factual and stated that it appeared to be a natural death, no foul play, no evidence of break in. I felt this was to provide the facts, and possibly reassure that no violence was involved.

So based on what has been reported and my experience the official comments seem to be SOP.
In my case, the autopsy which took about 7 weeks listed the cause as natural (cancer, which had not been diagnosed).

WindSpirit
12-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Please don't make it a thread about eating disorders. We don't even know if Brittany really had one.

Wiery
12-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Miss Murphy was apparently experiencing flu-like symptoms before she died. Her illness could have been any number of things, gastroenteritis, influenza, food poisoning...that's just the short list...

Whatever the cause, her death is extremely sad. My heart goes out to her friends and family.

We're told Murphy was taking prescription meds for flu-like symptoms she had been experiencing for several days. We're told Murphy began vomiting early Sunday morning and told family members she was feeling very ill.
Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/21/brittany-murphy-cardiac-arrest-diabetes-vomit-autopsy-coroner/#ixzz0aLcqE5Te

ADMIN EDIT: Please do not violate copyright laws by copying and pasting articles from other sites in their entirety here.

laurenjm
12-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Please don't make it a thread about eating disorders. We don't even know if Brittany really had one.

Well in the Tiger issue everyone jumped on my back about the Prince Falling from Grace.

Looks like I was correct in my assumption about him and most will be right about Brittney, look at her recent picture on TMZ from Dec 1 and tell me that isn't an anorexic face, sunken eyes, hallow cheeks etc. Takes one to know one!

WindSpirit
12-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I didn't say don't mention ED in connection with Brittany, even if it's only a speculation. But at least it's about her. I said don't turn this thread into one about eating disorders.

It's not a thread about eating disorders but Brittany Murphy. Anything in connection with her is fine as long as it stays connected to her.

cruisin
12-21-2009, 11:20 PM
I didn't say don't mention ED in connection with Brittany, even if it's only a speculation. But at least it's about her. I said don't turn this thread into one about eating disorders.

It's not a thread about eating disorders but Brittany Murphy. Anything in connection with her is fine as long as it stays connected to her.

I'm sorry, that was my fault. Initially, I was trying to be careful not to accuse Brittany of having one. But then I did sort of hijack the thread. I'll try to stay on point. :)

ArtisticFan
12-21-2009, 11:25 PM
I did not know about the diabetes diagnosis with her, but that is interesting. While TMZ is reporting that it was probably not a cause in her death, I know that it can bring about many complications to even the simplest conditions.

Five years ago a friend of my husband, Debbie, was rushed to the hospital after having a stomach flu for a little more than 24 hours. Her husband found her in the bathroom of their house with no pulse and not breathing. She too was rushed to the hospital and pronounced dead there. She was 30.

THe questions from authorities were brutal for her family. She was quite thin and often accused by strangers as having an eating disorder, as she had the sunken eyes and pronounced bone angles that are thought to be proof. Nothing could have been further from the truth. She was always very careful about her diet and exercise since her diabetes diagnosis, but she wasn't obsessive or unhealthy about it. Still the rumors persisted.

The authorities basically tore the house apart looking for drugs. None were found. They even asked the husband's daughter from his first marriage if she had heard her daddy flushing anything down the toilet after Debbie was found.

It took weeks before the results all came back. When they did, there were no illegal drugs in her system. Her different levels showed that she was quite the healthy eater - not anorexic.

It turns out that she had been complaining a few weeks earlier that her glasses and contacts were no longer strong enough. That was a result of complications due to diabetes, as was the heart attack that killed her.

For all the speculation that she must have had this other life, Debbie died of something that most people ignore in other people. She wasn't famous or even that well known outside her small group of friends and family. The thing is that even at her funeral there were small groups standing around talking about how they just knew what killed her. Turns out they were wrong.

FigureSpins
12-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Miss Murphy was apparently experiencing flu-like symptoms before she died. Her illness could have been any number of things, gastroenteritis, influenza, food poisoning...that's just the short list...Sadly, my DH's cousin also presented flu symptoms before she died. Her regular doctor was on vacation, the treat-release place diagnosed it as the flu and sent her home with an anti-nauseau prescription. When she wasn't feeling any better the next day, she went to a different doctor who took one look at her blood pressure (very high) and sent her to the ER. The verdict was that she needed an emergency double bypass, but her heart stopped before they could complete the surgery. 50 years old, with two kids in high school and college. Such a shame.

Everyone should be aware that heart problems are often mistaken for the flu in women. The symptoms aren't always the same as men present.

Someone told me tonight that diabetes often goes hand-in-hand with Celiac Disease, which interferes with weight management.

I hope that, for the family's sake, they find out the cause of Ms. Murphy's death. It will at least give them some closure.
Maybe she rest in peace.

PeterG
12-22-2009, 04:30 AM
I didn't know Brittany had some accomplishments in the music industry...

http://new.ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopthepresses/99273/rip-brittany-murphy/

IceAlisa
12-22-2009, 07:07 AM
It is premature to say that a heart attack killed Brittany. I think people are conflating the terms "heart attack" and "cardiac arrest". A heart attack means a myocardial infarction or death of heart muscle usually due to a blocked blood vessel.

All cardiac arrest means is that a heart stopped, that's it, without specifying the cause. An autopsy can usually determine if someone died of a heart attack or MI because the damage to the heart muscle would be evident. A cardiac arrest on its own does not necessarily leave evidence for the coroner to find. I wouldn't feel bad about confusing the two terms as a lay person--I see this mistake in print rather regularly.

ArtisticFan, that story is tragic but the good news is that it's an exception rather than the rule, unless someone's diabetes is very poorly managed.

I am no pathologist but my guess is that diabetes, especially umanaged and allowed to run amok in a body would leave tissue damage for the coroner to find, such as changes in the retina, peripheral vasculature damage, etc. Again, I am guessing here. I think that a diabetes triggered heart attack is unlikely at this point, given the other information about her history. In medicine the story has to add up.

And what is the one thing that explains the multiple reports of erratic behavior, the recent firing from the film in Puerto Rico where she was reportedly "not there and in and out of consciousness", the weight loss, the symptoms before death (vomiting) and the apparent lack of anything grossly evident (easily seen by the naked eye) as a cause of death?

Apparently, a large amount of prescription medications has been found at her home, including pain killers and anti-anxiety meds. I found no mention of diabetes meds.

ETA: the autopsy is done but the coroner will not release the cause of death until the tox report comes back. What does that tell you...

terisalyn
12-22-2009, 03:12 PM
...ETA: the autopsy is done but the coroner will not release the cause of death until the tox report comes back. What does that tell you...

That the coroner is keeping his ass covered?

No matter what the cause of death, it's sad to see it happen to someone who's only had 1/2 to 1/3 of a normal lifespan.

Coco
12-22-2009, 03:39 PM
I associate Type II diabetes with obesity. She doesn't seem like a candidate for it. Can you bring it on through ED?

cruisin
12-22-2009, 04:25 PM
I associate Type II diabetes with obesity. She doesn't seem like a candidate for it. Can you bring it on through ED?

Type II diabetes can be diet linked, but not all with type II are obese. It is a pancreas/insulin production disorder. I am not aware of EDs bringing it on. I would guess no. Simply because the ED sufferer is either not eating sugars/carbs, or they are purging them. Now, I suppose doing that could effect the pancreas' ability to function, but I don't know that. However, if Brittany did have diabetes, an eating disorder could be lethal. Diabetes requires a very balanced eating regimen so that neither insulin or sugar levels spike or drop. Especially if you are on meds.