PDA

View Full Version : Brittany Murphy died

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

cruisin
12-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Something that should be considered with "drugs" and EDs. BTW, this is ED info, not an accusation or claim that Brittany did this.

One of the "drugs" that anorexics and bulimics often take are laxatives. Laxatives, alone, if taken to the pint of abuse can cause serious electrolyte imbalances.

It is not unusual for persons with EDs to segue to more serious drugs, especially cocaine. There is the belief that cocaine will help keep you thin, because it causes you to lose your appetite. The combination of electrolyte imbalance and the effects cocaine has on the heart can be lethal.

I truly do not believe that our society takes eating disorders as seriously as it should. There is a mentality, as with many psych disorders, that they should and can, just stop. They can't, it is an addiction, in addition to the body dismorphia, the general poor self image, possibly some form of abuse, etc. This is not simply the behavior of poor spoiled little girls, it is a true and serious illness.

equatorial
12-21-2009, 04:09 PM
According to a reasonably well-connected Moscow gossip columnist Bozena Rynska, Murphy died after returning from a private party in a posh Moscow suburb hosted by a Russian ex-banker. Milla Jovovich was also among the guests, and yes, drugs were involved:
http://becky-sharpe.livejournal.com/681632.html
(in Russian)

manleywoman
12-21-2009, 04:13 PM
I thought Murphy died in LA.

equatorial
12-21-2009, 04:14 PM
I thought Murphy died in LA.

Yes, after returning from Moscow, if the gossip columnist is right.

IceAlisa
12-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I found an article with various references to history of erratic behavior on movie sets and junkets, including behavior that resulting in the firing from her latest film. Several articles stated she was in and out of consciousness with her husband propelling her around the set.

She was only 32 so her chances of having natural heart disease (unless it was congenital) are very small. Women of child bearing age are generally protected by estrogen from heart disease but catch up with men after menopause. Yes, heart disease is underdiagnosed in women but this usually refers to post menopausal women.

Also, Perez Hilton is apparently on record having predicted Brittany to be the next to go "the way of Heath Ledger" about a month ago.

If any of this is true, I will be shocked if the tox report is clean.

Lorac
12-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Murphy 'was extremely ill' before death (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/986105/actress-brittany-murphy-dies-in-la-report)

May she rest in peace.

I could hardly believe that the picture from 2006 was the same woman in the 2nd pic taken earlier this month!! She was beautiful and looked healthy in 2006. Such a sad lose - RIP Brittany.

cruisin
12-21-2009, 04:42 PM
She was only 32 so her chances of having natural heart disease (unless it was congenital) are very small. Women of child bearing age are generally protected by estrogen from heart disease but catch up with men after menopause. Yes, heart disease is underdiagnosed in women but this usually refers to post menopausal women.

Here's a thought, and not just with regard to this situation. When a young woman has a serious ED, anorexia, bulimia, laxative over use, they often stop menstruating. Can the estrogen imbalance caused by EDs lower the protection against heart disease?

skatingfan5
12-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Here's a thought, and not just with regard to this situation. When a young woman has a serious ED, anorexia, bulimia, laxative over use, they often stop menstruating. Can the estrogen imbalance caused by EDs lower the protection against heart disease?I thought that the protection that estrogen offered had to do with cholesterol control and placque prevention -- and that serious ED caused problems with electrolyte levels -- and also with the body actually consuming the heart muscle tissue. Thus, cardiac arrests related to ED were usually not due to coronary artery blockages -- which is what estrogen protected against. I could be completely wrong about this, though.

cruisin
12-21-2009, 05:11 PM
I thought that the protection that estrogen offered had to do with cholesterol control and placque prevention -- and that serious ED caused problems with electrolyte levels -- and also with the body actually consuming the heart muscle tissue. Thus, cardiac arrests related to ED were usually not due to coronary artery blockages -- which is what estrogen protected against. I could be completely wrong about this, though.

You are correct in what you understand. However, I was reacting to IceAlisa's post, and wondering if the estrogen protection is missing, due to an ED, could that cause premature cholesterol and plaque problems, or other estrogen related heart disease. Something else to consider, is that diabetics typically will develop coronary artery disease more easily than someone without diabetes.

IceAlisa
12-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Here's a thought, and not just with regard to this situation. When a young woman has a serious ED, anorexia, bulimia, laxative over use, they often stop menstruating. Can the estrogen imbalance caused by EDs lower the protection against heart disease?

Anorexics are not known to develop coronary heart disease more than the general population if that's what you are asking. They can die from an electrolyte imbalance caused by say, binging, purging and laxatives, which in turn causes a fatal arrhythmia. But nothing would have to be inherently wrong with the heart itself.

If someone has all the conditions you mentioned, they don't need heart disease to kill them. There's plenty in the equation already.

Brittany may have had an eating disorder but also from what I've been reading, there were likely other factors as well.

Something else to consider, is that diabetics typically will develop coronary artery disease more easily than someone without diabetes.
Unlikely at her age. I am a big fan of Occam's razor. You have to think what is medically probable.

cruisin
12-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Anorexics are not known to develop coronary heart disease more than the general population if that's what you are asking. They can die from an electrolyte imbalance caused by say, binging, purging and laxatives, which in turn causes a fatal arrhythmia. But nothing would have to be inherently wrong with the heart itself.

If someone has all the conditions you mentioned, they don't need heart disease to kill them. There's plenty in the equation already.

Yes, it was more musing on my part, that lowered estrogen in someone with and ED could cause earlier onset heart disease.

It is my understanding that fatal arrhythmia is more common in anorexics than bulimics. I could be wrong. I also suppose that very few anorexics are not also bulimic to some degree.

IceAlisa
12-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Yes, it was more musing on my part, that lowered estrogen in someone with and ED could cause earlier onset heart disease.

It is my understanding that fatal arrhythmia is more common in anorexics than bulimics. I could be wrong. I also suppose that very few anorexics are not also bulimic to some degree.

cruisin, at this point I would not try to invent exotic medical theories and just wait for the tox report. I predict the explanation will be found there. Already there is talk about a lot of prescription medications removed from her home and in conjunction with reports of her behavior in recent years, the writing is on the wall. Once again, Occam's razor.

cruisin
12-21-2009, 05:34 PM
cruisin, at this point I would not try to invent exotic medical theories and just wait for the tox report. I predict the explanation will be found there. Already there is talk about a lot of prescription medications removed from her home and in conjunction with reports of her behavior in recent years, the writing is on the wall. Once again, Occam's razor.

I'm sorry, I did not explain well, I'm not really talking about Brittany here. I was talking, in general. As in, are there aspects of the effects of EDs that we have not really discovered yet. I guess, I am trying to say that not enough is being done to understand them, treat them, and find out just how much physical damage they can do.

IceAlisa
12-21-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm sorry, I did not explain well, I'm not really talking about Brittany here. I was talking, in general. As in, are there aspects of the effects of EDs that we have not really discovered yet. I guess, I am trying to say that not enough is being done to understand them, treat them, and find out just how much physical damage they can do.

No need to apologize! :) As I've said, I am not aware of eating disorders contributing to coronary heart disease. However, eating disorder patients ARE at risk for fatal arrhythmia due to electrolyte imbalance. That's different.

But again, with Brittany, if eating disorder was an issue, it was probably just one of several.

Anita18
12-21-2009, 05:54 PM

I'm not exactly sure about the hormonal interactions, but menstruation, as in the bleeding, actually happens when estrogen levels fall. That's why by taking birth control pills (which contains estradiol, an estrogen) stops your periods. It's the progestagens that make your body think you're pregnant, so you don't ovulate.

There's a complicated concert of hormones involved in menstruation, so I don't think it's as simple as no period, no estrogen, no heart disease protection. I believe the electrolyte imbalance and resulting heart palpitations way before believing that an ED would affect heart disease that involves plaque formation.